• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans Shut Down the Federal Government Again & Suffer Humiliating Defeat

This is funny, but holy shit, what is matt gaetz's end game? I guess it's just money but is there something else?
FL Governor? Tack hard to Trump and disrupt the establishment. He's the biggest name in the FL GOP right now. He'd probably win a primary going away.

It also helps to drive away otherwise competent people from public service at the federal-level, either directly (see iptb's post) or indirectly since even the most dedicated, altruistic public servants have a limit on the bs they can put up with.

This is the more insidious, decades-long play the GOP has made against our federal institutions: demonize, degrade, and disrespect the talent pool to erode from within the agencies' capacities to function effectively.
There was a GOP politician recently (maybe one of the presidential candidates) who was claiming that we need fewer career bureaucrats and more political appointees to "reflect the will of the voters."

FL Governor? Tack hard to Trump and disrupt the establishment. He's the biggest name in the FL GOP right now. He'd probably win a primary going away.
Read a NBC article the other day saying it’s pretty much a lock he’ll run

Read a NBC article the other day saying it’s pretty much a lock he’ll run
He might win the GOP primary, but I would think he would be vulnerable in a general election, provided the FL Democratic Party can get its shit together and find and run a decent candidate. Running an aging has-been/former Republican like Charlie Crist won't cut it.

He might win the GOP primary, but I would think he would be vulnerable in a general election, provided the FL Democratic Party can get its shit together and find and run a decent candidate. Running an aging has-been/former Republican like Charlie Crist won't cut it.
The FL Dems are under new management, but I'm still not optimistic. A lot of Republicans hate Gaetz, but they'll get behind him if he wins a primary.

Here’s where I say Gaetz’s family owns the house where Jim Carey’s character lived in the movie The Truman Show. Down in Seaside, FL where they filmed it.

“He will be running in a large field. He could win with 30 percent,” Morgan said. “Trump’s endorsement alone gets him that.”

A Florida GOP operative said that, though Trump has not addressed the future race publicly, the former president would back his longtime ally.

“He’s 100 percent in,” said a Florida Republican operative on Gaetz running for governor. “I think Gaetz is an instant front-runner and from what I hear he’s already won the Trump primary.”
Other Republicans eying a bid include state Agriculture Commissioner Wilton Simpson; state Chief Financial Officer Jimmy Patronis; U.S. Rep. Mike Waltz; and state Attorney General Ashley Moody.
Yeah, he's got it in the bag. I pay attention to Florida politics and I've only heard of Patronis and Moody and Moody is the only one I'd recognize.

You had your hopes on a non-shitty Republican replacing DeSantis?
Well, I was hoping for somebody less shitty than Gaetz. But, it’s ok, I just looked it up, DeSantis’ term ends just 5 months before my youngest is set to graduate high school. I can leave as soon as the diploma is in her hands. The timing is ok for me.

Elected Republicans don't get "less shitty" because that would be going "backwards" for them.

Elected Republicans don't get "less shitty" because that would be going "backwards" for them.
Sure, but I was hoping Matt Gaetz would be in jail for interstate child sex trafficking and that some other lesser known asshole would take over.

Well, this has been one of the worst weeks in recent memory work-wise. This idiotic pending shutdown just threw an absolute grenade into two of our larger projects. Losing the largest one sucks for us as a company, but because it's end of fiscal the government just had us fire all 35 contractors - without warning. And by that I mean last week we had a committed purchase order and extension for a full year, offices were leased, home rentals extended, school years kicked off, everyone ready to move forward. Now it's a total mad scramble, and since most open positions have been filled we're not going to come close to finding places for everyone. All but two are veterans. Fucking unbelievable these people.

Back