• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans Shut Down the Federal Government Again & Suffer Humiliating Defeat

Don't know if it's been posted, but the great Lindsey Graham said today that Republicans want a Democrat who is "reasonable" and "not crazy" to negotiate with. Apparently he was referring to Pelosi. I guess the fact that Pelosi stands up to Trump and doesn't kiss his behind makes her crazy and unreasonable in Graham's eyes. Graham also said that Republicans are tired of Democrats calling them racists for wanting a border wall, and they won't start serious negotiations ("offers on the table") until Democrats agree to stop calling Republicans racists over the wall. My God. They can dish it out, but not take it - snowflake behavior at its finest. It appears that the world's greatest negotiator can't handle our new Speaker of the House. If Trump, Graham, and the GOP are already melting down after just a few days of a Democratic-controlled House, Lord only knows what they'll be like within a few more weeks or months.

Link to article: https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/06/lindsey-graham-shutdown-democrats-crazy-1083045

Flashback to 2015:

2016 hopeful Sen. Lindsey Graham said on Wednesday that GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump is constructing a divide between Republicans and the Hispanic community.

“I think the wall Donald Trump is building is between us and Hispanics,” he told hosts Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.”

The South Carolina senator argued that Trump’s immigration rhetoric is inspiring an increasingly absurd Republican primary this election cycle.

Graham: Trump building a wall between GOP, Hispanics

The only thing left of Junebugs Republican platform is getting a load of judges-for-life. Fiscal responsibility, gone. Worry about our children paying the national debt, gone. Strong foreign policy to support our global interests, gone. Standing up to dictators and autocrats, gone. Morality in public office, gone.

But he'll still have those heritage-trained judges who will rule against Democratic priorities, even when those priorities have broad popular support and are enacted through the democratic process. Thanks to the search function, we can all point out his spasm of pearl clutching when those unelected justices ruled against his policy preferences, and he went on and on about how horrible it is to be ruled by nine unelected people in black robes.

Also:

Pro Life: gone (kids in cages and dying at the border, folding like a lawn chair when an American journalist is chopped up by an “ally”)
Supporting the troops: gone (lying to their faces about pay raises)
Fighting actual terrorism: gone (domestic hate crime spike)

Last edited:
Also:

Pro Life: gone (kids in cages and dying at the border, folding like a lawn chair when an American journalist is chopped up by an “ally”)
Supporting the troops: gone (lying to their faces about pay raises)
Fighting actual terrorism: gone (domestic hate crime spike)

Actually the kids in cages is pretty on brand for the pro-life crowd. They want to ensure that babies are born no matter what, but once the baby is out of the womb, good luck. If you find yourself in a cage, bootstrap your way out.

Republicans Shut Down the Federal Government Again

This really isn’t about Trump not taking a salary or even grift. It’s a tone deaf response from a wealthy man to people who are directly or indirectly not getting an income because of his actions. Despite what Trump says, there’s nobody who needs a paycheck who would rather have a wall than their paycheck.

Intellectual and honest. Two words about as far removed from Republicanism and modern US "conservatism" as possible.

It’s a shame that it takes the threat of an ultra conservative SCOTUS for you to see the danger in judicial oligarchy, but I guess some people just value getting their way over any semblance of intellectual honesty.

nice dodge counselor. tell me more about the Republican platform that you still support?
giphy.gif

Gotta keep them gays and trannies in check or they’ll come git our kids, amiright ole Junebug? Not to mention the wimmin and their “sacrosanct” uteri!!

You aren’t really paying attention. I’ve made numerous posts stating that I think homosexual couples should have the same rights attendant to marriage and that women should have abortion rights. I just don’t think these rights are enshrined in the constitution.

I continue to be confused about what parts of the Republican platform you support. From the 2016 official platform:
"Accordingly, we assert the sanctity of human life and affirm that the unborn child has a fundamental right to life which cannot be infringed. We support a human life amendment to the Constitution and legislation to make clear that the Fourteenth Amendment’s protections apply to children before birth"
"Our laws and our government’s regulations should recognize marriage as the union of one man and one woman"

Since you don't agree with those portions, and all the ones about fiscal restraint and foreign policy have proven to be lies during the last two years of unified GOP control, there really isn't much left. Maybe you're down with the line that says coal is "clean energy"?

The platform is the same as it has been. Trump has co-opted the party, for now, but I continue to believe it will be short lived. I think the Mueller report is going to be damning, and, if Trump is not removed from office, he will face a primary challenge that will unseat him. If not, and depending on who the donkey candidate is, I will consider voting for a donkey for president.

How did he co-opt the party? Republican voters chose him to be their leader. He’s representative not coercive in his leadership of the GOP. Arguing otherwise is just really dishonest.

Self-proclaimed Republicans so desperately want the left to have a equal boogeyman to Donald that they blatantly and unapologetically make shit up to defend their whataboutism.

People like junebug have not learned and will never learn that in practice their party has yielded control to a wannabe authoritarian and naively believe that the far right wing - which now controls the party and wags the dog - will ever yield power back.

The platform is the same as it has been. Trump has co-opted the party, for now, but I continue to believe it will be short lived. I think the Mueller report is going to be damning, and, if Trump is not removed from office, he will face a primary challenge that will unseat him. If not, and depending on who the donkey candidate is, I will consider voting for a donkey for president.

Given everything we’ve learned so far from the Mueller investigation, Trump is at 90% among Republicans. The RNC merged election operations with Trump. They are all in for him. What possibly could we learn that would hurt his popularity enough to force a primary? He beat 16 Republicans when he was relatively unpopular among Republicans.

Given everything we’ve learned so far from the Mueller investigation, Trump is at 90% among Republicans. The RNC merged election operations with Trump. They are all in for him. What possibly could we learn that would hurt his popularity enough to force a primary? He beat 16 Republicans when he was relatively unpopular among Republicans.

This. Trump is the GOP.

Back