• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans Shut Down the Federal Government Again & Suffer Humiliating Defeat

Agree. When I said “lose lose situation” I mean that if they didn’t air it he’d have his biggest grievance with the “enemy of the people” yet by not airing his “emergency” speech which could result in more acts of violence on news organizations by his even more emboldened followers. That could be extreme but I could see it being a byproduct of a non-airing of his “national emergency” in their eyes.

all the lubes around here want is lefty partisan polemics, anything and everything else is rejected out of hand

The wall is a big-government, tax-and-spend project. If you support it, that's your prerogative, but that means that you are not a small-government conservative, you are a big-government advocate, so long as that big government money is being used on projects you approve of.

In my personal experience, wall supporters are generally the first to complain about the War on Christmas, the laziness of Americans, Welfare, and government spending/taxes. However, when faced with the prospect of a large number of disproportionately Christian, hard-working people who are excluded from most welfare programs, their response is "Spend $5.6 billion to keep them out."

Thirty minutes after Trump was mocked by Ann Coulter for not getting the funding, approximately.

So after republicans controlled literally everything in Washington and most state governments?

The wall is a big-government, tax-and-spend project. If you support it, that's your prerogative, but that means that you are not a small-government conservative, you are a big-government advocate, so long as that big government money is being used on projects you approve of.

In my personal experience, wall supporters are generally the first to complain about the War on Christmas, the laziness of Americans, Welfare, and government spending/taxes. However, when faced with the prospect of a large number of disproportionately Christian, hard-working people who are excluded from most welfare programs, their response is "Spend $5.6 billion to keep them out."

Good post. That's why Republicans are convincing them that these people are disproportionately terrorist, lazy people who will somehow take their jobs and welfare.

The networks are covering and airing the speech because probably everybody in the country knows some one who is affected by this stupid fucking shutdown and it is therefore news, not because they think it will be a good speech or that it will include useful innovative policy ideas.

Nah. They are airing it because the networks are all owned by large corporations and run by rich white men.

Pelosi and Schumer to issue a response following tonight’s autocratic scare tactics by the President.

Whew... Thanks for the update.

I was scared for a moment but can rest easy now knowing Pelosi and Schumer will issue a response after the authoritarian and autocratic scare.

I was scared for a moment but can rest easy now knowing Pelosi and Schumer will issue a response after the authoritarian and autocratic scare.

Are you for a Trump declaring a national emergency to get the wall funding? Yes or no?

I wold love for a conservative to give us a serious comment about the “crisis” on the border but instead with get this bullshit over and over. Somebody defend this garbage. What is this if not an autocratic scare? Why is this an emergency now? What has changed in the last 6 months that’s made this an urgent issue worth shutting the government down over?

I wold love for a conservative to give us a serious comment about the “crisis” on the border but instead with get this bullshit over and over. Somebody defend this garbage. What is this if not an autocratic scare? Why is this an emergency now? What has changed in the last 6 months that’s made this an urgent issue worth shutting the government down over?

yeah, I can't remember back to the campaign -- was it a crisis or national emergency then, or just something we should have?

Maybe if they air his speech he will stop calling them the enemy of the people. That's how it works, right?

Apparently, bullying the mainstream news media works. I'm sure that's the lesson that Trump & Company will take from this.

Borderline Insanity

As the government shutdown over President Trump’s demand for border-wall funding moves through week three, the administration is looking to cut a deal with Democrats by emphasizing the deepening humanitarian crisis at the border — a crisis caused in large part by this administration’s inhumane policies, political grandstanding and managerial incompetence.

In a letter Sunday to lawmakers, the White House laid out its latest proposal for addressing the border tumult. The administration called for more immigration and Border Patrol agents, more detention beds and, of course, $5.7 billion to build 234 new miles of border wall. The White House also demanded an additional $800 million for “urgent humanitarian needs,” such as medical support, transportation and temporary facilities for processing and housing detainees.

Translation: Mr. Trump’s mass incarceration of migrant families is overwhelming an already burdened system that, without a giant injection of taxpayer dollars, will continue to collapse, leading to ever more human suffering.

The situation is an especially rich example of the Trump Doctrine: Break something, then demand credit — and in this case a lot of money — for promising to fix it.

Late last week, frustrated by his standoff with Democrats, Mr. Trump even threatened to declare a national emergency in order to get his wall built without Congress’s approval — a move guaranteed to prompt a ferocious legal challenge.

Any attempt to sell Mr. Trump’s cruel immigration agenda with a veneer of humanitarian measures should be viewed with skepticism. This administration has long held that the best way to deal with asylum seekers fleeing the horrors of their home countries is to increase their suffering upon reaching the United States to discourage others from even trying.

There is no question but that the administration remains ill equipped to cope with the fallout from its narrow fixation on deterrence. Migrant children are being piled into holding cells where they fall ill — or worse. The number of detainees at Immigration and Customs Enforcement facilities has swelled to unprecedented levels, requiring periodic mass releases. Without preparation or planning, hundreds of migrants are simply dropped off at bus stations in border cities. The Times found that, in the final week of December, some 600 migrants were unceremoniously released onto the streets of El Paso.

Mr. Trump’s spiteful choice to shut parts of the government is only making the situation messier. Immigration judges are being furloughed, further slowing the processing of asylum requests. Border Patrol agents are working without pay, eroding morale. In perhaps the choicest twist of fate, some $300 million in new contracts for wall construction cannot be awarded until the shutdown ends.

With Democrats now controlling the House, the president is right to assume that he will need a new negotiating approach. But the answer isn’t for lawmakers to throw good money after bad, or to try to prettify a retrograde agenda with humanitarian trimmings.

The Trump administration is asking Congress and the American public to embrace warped logic, that its policies are going to continue and that the only question is whether any money should be spent on measures to ease the suffering caused by those policies.

After two years of watching this administration run amok, surely Democratic lawmakers can come up with a better approach.

Ph nailed it earlier: either they’re lying about the “terrorist entry” numbers at the southern border (which we already know they are), or they’ve failed miserably the past two years letting in depolrables from flagged countries. Which is it, conservatives?

So, why did "we" wait until Dems took the house to make this a crisis? Why did not Trump and the Trumpublicans take care of this over the last 2 years?

Hmmm....fucking fuckers.

Back