• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans Shut Down the Federal Government Again & Suffer Humiliating Defeat

I thought the shutdown was showing how little government we actually need

Actually it's about how little we need to pay government workers.

It’s especiallg fucked up since this whole stupid ordeal is about border security which is a large part of the USCG’s mission.

What would have happened if Trump demanded $6 billion for the border wall when the pubs controlled the house?

What would have happened if Trump demanded $6 billion for the border wall when the pubs controlled the house?

Schumer would have blocked it with a filibuster threat in the Senate. But Trump was in a much stronger position to make a deal then. He could have had more than three times that amount in exchange for DACA.

Schumer would have blocked it with a filibuster threat in the Senate. But Trump was in a much stronger position to make a deal then. He could have had more than three times that amount in exchange for DACA.

But most of the DACA people are brown and black. Trump can't allow that.

when Republicans refer to this as a "humanitarian crisis," who are they referring to? the people trying to have a better life in our country or US citizens adversely affected by them. if the former, how does a border wall help the so-called crisis?

I don’t watch TV news and have cut way back on my internet time overall but it seems from what little I’ve looked that Trump/GOP are losing the PR battle over this shutdown. Am I reading that right?

The recalling workers is in itself on pretty iffy or downright illegal ground. The wording was put in to allow for “essential” activities to continue to ensure safety etc etc etc... the leasing of lands to oil and gas companies not really an emergency. People pissed about taxes not really an emergency.

Schumer offered $25 billion in exchange for DACA.

I don’t watch TV news and have cut way back on my internet time overall but it seems from what little I’ve looked that Trump/GOP are losing the PR battle over this shutdown. Am I reading that right?

To this point, the polling says you're correct.

when Republicans refer to this as a "humanitarian crisis," who are they referring to? the people trying to have a better life in our country or US citizens adversely affected by them. if the former, how does a border wall help the so-called crisis?

Not advocating but what I understood as the theory was that people uproot their lives and come to the border to cross because they have been told it is easy to cross and the land of milk and honey is just over there. The crisis is children and other people struggling and dying in the desert trying to cross. If you build the wall they wouldn't come. That is the theory.

Frum says that, but that is also assuming that Republicans and his supporters who aren't getting checks are blaming him, and they aren't.

I have a former student who is a TSA agent. She's working for free right now. Huge Trump fan.

Well, she already voted against her own self interests once, so might as well ride that all the way into the ground.

Frum says that, but that is also assuming that Republicans and his supporters who aren't getting checks are blaming him, and they aren't.

I wonder who ELC blames -- doesn't he work for the federal government? Locking kids in cages and whatnot?

Well, she already voted against her own self interests once, so might as well ride that all the way into the ground.

perhaps an unfortunate metaphor for a person who is in charge of keeping airplanes unhijacked, but I agree with the general sentiment.

Back