• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans Shut Down the Federal Government Again & Suffer Humiliating Defeat

If 1-15 people call out sick, some airports could be entirely shut down. Two of my local airports might fit that- Long Beach/John Wayne.

Ah yes... even more real world examples of the Dem party values like inclusion, tolerance, and empathy.

LOL. Unlike Trumpite conservatives, I'm not trying to take away people's rights and benefits. I am having a hard time ginning up much sympathy for people that support Trump - and no doubt spout all of that right-wing Horatio Alger, pull-yourself-up-by-your-bootstraps, minorities and immigrants take too much welfare crap - while at the same time they're living off the government trough via generous government subsidies and waiting on government loans to bail them out and allow them to keep the farm. I think it's conservatives who believe that cutting welfare and the safety net is a good thing, right? I'm not in favor of cutting their benefits or not giving them the loans - but I have no problem with pointing out what hypocrites they are, or that by supporting Trump they're reaping what they've sown.

Last edited:

Republicans are obsessed with this idea that the richest country in the world with one of the largest land masses and populations is like a household.

Republicans are obsessed with this idea that the richest country in the world with one of the largest land masses and populations is like a household.

That is generally how fascism conceives of "the state," though, right?

I'm flying out of Charlotte tomorrow. Getting there like 3 hours before flight just in case.

seems to me that the House should pass a stand-alone border security bill of a few billion filled with reasonable security measures, money for more ALJs to adjudicate asylum claims, money for more drug and customs inspectors at the ports, Coast Guard cutters, humanitarian aid for refugees, and directing some form of aid (maybe through qualified NGOs) to the struggling Central American states to help reduce the flow of migrants. Democrats say they want a secure border, tactically they should take the next step and put the pressure on McConnell and Trump to take up border security legislation.

We don’t have a detailed blueprint of the specific wall plans yet, correct. We already have “a wall”. It doesn’t make sense that what we ultimately do is going to be the exact same structure the entire length of the border. One version will make more sense in one area and another will make more sense in other parts. So, I don’t think people really understand what they are responding to when asked if they support “the wall”. This is 100% politics right now. Trump opponents need to figure out a way to communicate that better. Trump doesn’t even know what he is shutting down the government for beyond this idea of a wall.

We don’t have a detailed blueprint of the specific wall plans yet, correct. We already have “a wall”. It doesn’t make sense that what we ultimately do is going to be the exact same structure the entire length of the border. One version will make more sense in one area and another will make more sense in other parts. So, I don’t think people really understand what they are responding to when asked if they support “the wall”. This is 100% politics right now. Trump opponents need to figure out a way to communicate that better. Trump doesn’t even know what he is shutting down the government for beyond this idea of a wall.

i thought we did have a prototype. one that could be cut with a saw

If 54% of the country actually believes a border wall is the answer to illegal immigration, then not only is Trump going to win in 2020, but he may just be president until he dies.

Last edited:
Reporting from MS. Trump train continues to roll. Even for my acquaintances that are currently not receiving paychecks. It’s pretty wild. Political Will is Religion and Trump is the almighty savior.

I wish we could pull a Ron Burgundy moment with Fox and Friends and see if Trump would repeat it in a tweet. Would be a great experiment.

If 54% of the country actually believes a boarder wall is the answer to illegal immigration, then not only is Trump going to win in 2020, but he may just be president until he dies.

Has any poll shown support for a wall at or over 50%? Every poll I've seen thus far shows that under 45% support a wall. The latest ABC News/Washington Post poll has it at 42% support, with 54% opposed, CNN's latest poll has it at 39% support, 56% oppose. Maybe I'm missing a poll.

It's whatever BS poll is in the tweet of Fox and Friends above.

Thanks. It figures. Nearly every poll shows that Trump's approval ratings are steadily declining during the shutdown, and far more people blame him (and the GOP) for the shutdown, yet Trump and Fox News are single-mindedly focusing on the dubious fact that support for a wall has risen marginally over the past year, while still remaining well below 50% in nearly every poll. They'll spin anything, and try to polish every turd that comes their way.

The problem is that in their minds, every other poll is wrong because they predicted Hilary would win. NPR shows kids prefer Yoo-hoo to soda? Doesn't matter. They were wrong about Hillary.

Back