• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dortch leaving for NFL

He did not participate in the 40. I believe this to be a strategical decision as he would probably have not ran an elite 40 at the combine since they do digital timing.

Since some NFL front offices are morons they would have written him off immediately if he did not run a sub-4.4 at his size.

I bet he runs the 40 at pro day as it will be hand timed and could potentially run a 4.4. A hand timed 4.4 is a high 4.5 (4.58) at the combine.

Unsure as to why he did not participate in drills and other quickness measurements. Even if no injury, I doubt he would have run the 40 at the combine.

With the Combine this week, I'm gonna say that my prognostication for Dortch's line is 5'8, 180 lbs, a 4.5 40 time and a 6.5 time for 3 cone drill.

So he was shorter than I thought and lighter than I thought. Since he didn't run, I was probably off on the 40 time too. Considering he has had 3 months to put on weight, I am wondering what his playing weight was at? He did not run the 40, which makes sense as he was always quicker than he was fast, but I am curious as to why he did not do the 3 cone drill, which is about maintaining speed when changing directions, probably one of his strongest skills.

For example, Hunter Renfrow, by no means a physical specimen or a fast runner, very much impressed the scouts with his time of 6.8 for the 3 cone drill, showing his ability to change directions without slowing down. On the other end of the spectrum, we have DK Metcalf with his 1.7% body fat (I mean come on), 4.33 40 time, but only could muster 7.38 on the 3 cone drill, so while he is big and fast in a straight line, he has trouble maintaining speed when changing directions. Excellent for fade routes, but probably wont be utilized underneath.

Dortch still has his pro day to impress the scouts, but a good combine showing could have brought either a greater number of scouts to the pro-day or more senior level guys. The interview with the Patriots is always a nice sign, but the Pats have a habit of smoke screening their picks, so I would not read too much into it. The Pats also invested in Braxton Berrios last year, and he was on IR all season. Developing another slot receiver and adding a kick returner could be on their list of needs, but we will see.

Tomorrow is Wakes pro day. Good luck to all of our guys.

Corrected. bad calendar. We usually get guys from nearby schools.

Corrected. bad calendar. We usually get guys from nearby schools.

No worries! I know John Dell has reported on the 3 WSSU guys who will be there. Otherwise, seems like A&T is doing their own pro day (can't remember that being the case before, but maybe it has). Elon and App have their own days. Imagine Western will have a guy or two at Wake - Keion Crossen was there last year and I think he made a roster last season. Not sure other than that.

No worries! I know John Dell has reported on the 3 WSSU guys who will be there. Otherwise, seems like A&T is doing their own pro day (can't remember that being the case before, but maybe it has). Elon and App have their own days. Imagine Western will have a guy or two at Wake - Keion Crossen was there last year and I think he made a roster last season. Not sure other than that.

Any word on what NFL will have representatives there?

Any word on what NFL will have representatives there?

Negative. IIRC, last year there were about 40 reps from ~25 NFL teams and a few from Canada, assume it'll be about the same. Also don't remember if there were inklings before, but I don't think we knew about Tomlin being there until that morning, or maybe the night before (?).

Is any of it open to the public?

Another negative. Last year that thing was locked up tighter than scrimmages. Think it's strictly scouts/media/staff and any players who come through.

About a while ago, Grobe held it out in a rain storm. I don't think any of our guys got drafted.

Yeah, Tarence is doing good things down here with Beast Behavior. He's in touch pretty regularly with Deacon athletes.

Considering how much good he's done, a little shout out for "Beast Behavior" is in order.

Imagine Western will have a guy or two at Wake - Keion Crossen was there last year and I think he made a roster last season. Not sure other than that.

Crossen made a roster and got a Super Bowl ring...was with the Patriots roster and active for 11 games.

Back