• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dortch leaving for NFL

Good to hear he put up solid times in the workouts. I'm still very curious about what range teams are assessing him. I think he could absolutely flourish in the right type of offense, total nightmare mismatch for a lot of defenders.

Is there any news on other players from the pro day? I'm thinking of the linemen.

no Dortch in the latest seven-round mock from The Athletic

Phil Haynes projected 5th round

Not much news out there about Dortch. Somebody is going to get a good young prospect.

unfortunately, Dortch made The Athletic's list of 10 guys who didn't help themselves on pro day

Greg Dortch, WR, Wake Forest
On tape, Dortch looked like a later-round NFL prospect, meaning he needed strong pre-draft workouts to help climb his way up draft boards. That didn’t happen. He didn’t do anything at the combine because of a right wrist injury, and he struggled to impress at his pro day. At only 173 pounds, Dortch ran his 40-yard dash attempts in 4.57 and 4.60, adding a 33-inch vertical and a 9-1 broad jump. His best chance to be drafted will be as a return man.

The last couple of 7 round mocks that I've seen have had him as a 6th rounder, 7th rounder, and undrafted. So unless one team really likes him it seems like he might be catching on at the end of some team's draft but he'll get his shot somewhere regardless of exactly how he gets there.

Matt Waldman (Rookie Scouting Portfolio) has Dortch as the #25 WR in this class. (To add: If you don't know who Matt Waldman is, then go get educated - he's awesome and is/was a writer for Football Guys and Football Outsiders. His Rookie Scouting Portfolio is over 1000 pages each year - he watches incredible amount of game tape.)

He's sandbagging. All part of the master plan to get picked up by my Packers :cool:

It's still a bummer that our best player is forgoing two years of eligibility to maybe not even get drafted. Classic LOWF.

And he’s one of the youngest players eligible for the draft.

Drafted schmrafted. Lots of guys get drafted and get cut. There's no way he's making a roster and he'll be extremely lucky to make a practice squad.

It's still a bummer that our best player is forgoing two years of eligibility to maybe not even get drafted. Classic LOWF.

You can't be serious. It's a positive that a Wake football player is good enough to leave early. Add to that, his size is a terrible risk to return and get injured.

You can't be serious. It's a positive that a Wake football player is good enough to leave early. Add to that, his size is a terrible risk to return and get injured.

Define "good enough to leave early". Not speaking to Dortch's situation specifically 'cause I don't know his motivations... but, to me, hoping to get picked in the last round or two is not typically what you think of when you think "good enough to leave early".

At only 173 pounds, Dortch ran his 40-yard dash attempts in 4.57 and 4.60, adding a 33-inch vertical and a 9-1 broad jump. His best chance to be drafted will be as a return man.

Where do these rank among receivers? These sound about what I was capable of when I was his age, that is, nowhere near the extremes you would expect for an NFL athlete,

Define "good enough to leave early". Not speaking to Dortch's situation specifically 'cause I don't know his motivations... but, to me, hoping to get picked in the last round or two is not typically what you think of when you think "good enough to leave early".

This is how I view it. Seemed like one of those players that made sense to wait another year or two. He would have been very special in the acc the next two years. Hate to miss that for some tryouts and practice squads and his “cup of coffee” in the league.

Not good. Think I read this WR class did especially well in the 40.

Dortch is good enough to get drafted but not big or straight line fast enough. He will definitely get a chance to earn a spot.

This is how I view it. Seemed like one of those players that made sense to wait another year or two. He would have been very special in the acc the next two years. Hate to miss that for some tryouts and practice squads and his “cup of coffee” in the league.

He would have been very good in the ACC this fall, and WF would have benefited

but how would he have benefited from the wait - would he have gotten faster or appreciably bigger? or could he have gotten hurt and reduced his NFL odds to zero?

He was All American. You can't get much better than that and could have fallen.

He isn't going to get appreciably bigger. This was the best decision for him.

I don’t think his workout numbers would have improved. But maybe being first team all acc and the hype and actually playing a whole season healthy would help? I don’t know but wake seems to lead the country in D1 players leaving early to be on the draft bubble or developmental league locks.

Where do these rank among receivers? These sound about what I was capable of when I was his age, that is, nowhere near the extremes you would expect for an NFL athlete,

Depends on hand timed versus electronically timed. Most of the WRs at the combine run about a 4.5 electronically timed 40 with a range this year from 4.3 to 4.7.

If Dortch ran a hand-timed 4.57 and 4.60 on his Pro Day, that's not very good.

Back