• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dortch leaving for NFL

Greg Dortch can make plays. There are bigger and faster receivers that are inferior football players.

He will get drafted, and he will play in the NFL.

Greg Dortch can make plays. There are bigger and faster receivers that are inferior football players.

I agree. He’s a pure playmaker.

All he has to do is beat out one of the worst pure playmakers in the league.

For as long as he can stay healthy*

I'm far more worried about that than his ability.

I would love to see the break down of those who think Dortch and Hoard made the right decision vs. those who think they both could have used another year in college to improve (or if they think one made the right choice as opposed to the other).

If Dortch does not get drafted, I would say he made the wrong choice. We do not know what would have happened if he stayed in school, or if he would have been drafted even after his senior season, all we would know was that this particular decision did not work out.

Waldman is a very thorough scout, and is highly regarded, he has Dortch as the 25th best WR, for a point of reference 33 WR's were drafted last year. The Lindy's Draft magazine had Greg listed as a potential 3rd round pick, but that did come out very early on in the process.

For what it is worth, Greg hasn't shown many (any?) team visits on Instagram, but all it takes though is one team to think he is worth it. It is very tough for UFA's to make teams, they don't get the same amount of reps as players drafted or already on the squad, and are not given the benefit of the doubt if they make mistakes. I will be checking all day on Sunday to see what happens.

You can't be serious. It's a positive that a Wake football player is good enough to leave early. Add to that, his size is a terrible risk to return and get injured.

Of course I'm serious. I'm bummed about it, as a fan, that we don't get to see him play for 1-2 more years. And I fear for his career given the small % of 6th rounders - UFA that make it in the league.

There aren't a lot of RSo that leave early to become late round draft picks or UFA. They typically come back and try to improve their draft stock. Hopefully Dortch won't regret his decision, and can carve out a nice NFL career. Seems like a great dude.

taking education out of the equation, I think it's a toss-up on going vs staying for Greg

he's always been an on-field vs. measurables player, so a full healthy season probably would have improved his stock more than a combo freak type of guy

How much better an on the field year can player have than to be named to be All American by multiple, major outlets?

No point in crying over spilled milk, hope Greg finds a roster spot in the NFL and that Hinton lights people up from the slot for TDs.

How much better an on the field year can player have than to be named to be All American by multiple, major outlets?

You realize it was as a punt returner, and a couple as "all purpose player", right? No such honors at WR, and unfortunately, I doubt many (any?) NFL teams are going to have a guy who runs a 4.6 returning punts or kicks. Hopefully I'm wrong, particularly with punts.

He's a great WR as well, and could certainly have continued to hone that craft, put up big numbers, and gain more notoriety.

You can ask Kyler Murray and Baker Mayfield how much difference one year could make. He could have proved his durability, and helped us win more games. Only if he makes a roster will it be worth it.

He was 6th in the nation with 89 catches. Not much room for improvement with a lot of chances for injur y.

You realize it was as a punt returner, and a couple as "all purpose player", right? No such honors at WR, and unfortunately, I doubt many (any?) NFL teams are going to have a guy who runs a 4.6 returning punts or kicks. Hopefully I'm wrong, particularly with punts.

He's a great WR as well, and could certainly have continued to hone that craft, put up big numbers, and gain more notoriety.

Yeah, that's the thing. He's obviously a great returner but not a lot of teams are going to give roster spot to a returner. He catches a lot of balls in our offense, but he's not a great receiver imo and might actually benefit from another year of college, working on his craft. Averaged 9 catches per game in our wins and 5.7 in our losses.

Ultimately, he's five and half feet tall and there's about a 90% chance he won't get drafted. So if you're a GM and you like him, you give him a call as a UFA, especially if you didn't draft a receiver this year.

Last edited:
More from The Athletic, this time from Arif Hasan - Dortch is listed in the "Risers" category:

https://theathletic.com/940089/2019/04/23/risers-and-fallers-analytics-consensus-big-board/

Greg Dortch, WR Wake Forest
Overall Score Productivity Athleticism Age
118.4 114.8 95.4 138.2
My own research splits receivers up into three separate categories: 1.) tall receivers, 6’2” and taller, 2.) short receivers, 6’0” and shorter and 3.) median receivers. (Hayden Winks at Rotoworld has done the same.)

That’s good for Wake Forest’s Greg Dortch, whose jump scores are not great. For small receivers, that doesn’t matter: being as close to 6’0” as possible and running quick agility drills with fast 20-yard splits matters. Dortch didn’t run a blazing 20-yard split, which is why his athletic score is only average instead of great, but he did run a blazing short shuttle of 4.08 seconds, enough to make up for his 5’7” frame.

Most importantly Dortch produced in a limited offense at Wake Forest despite playing at a young age. He accounted for 35 percent of the team’s available receiving yards, or over 1,000 yards in an offense that could only muster 2,817. He won’t turn 22 until May… of next year. That makes him the youngest receiver in the draft.

This kind of production at his young age should move him from seventh-round territory into fifth-round territory.

That was a great offense for Wake and it was “limited.”

Yeah, that's the thing. He's obviously a great returner but not a lot of teams are going to give roster spot to a returner. He catches a lot of balls in our offense, but he's not a great receiver imo and might actually benefit from another year of college, working on his craft. Averaged 9 catches per game in our wins and 5.7 in our losses.

Ultimately, he's five and half feet tall and there's about a 90% chance he won't get drafted. So if you're a GM and you like him, you give him a call as a UFA, especially if you didn't draft a receiver this year.

Well, a far less talented midget receiver/punt returner (5-7 173) from UGA, Isiah McKenzie, was a fifth round pick by the Broncos in 2017, and has received limited PT from two NFL teams (Broncos and Bills) over the last two years. The fact that a less talented DAWG twerp could weasel his way into the draft and onto a couple of NFL rosters bodes well for our more productive and talented Dortch...

:cool:

That was a great offense for Wake and it was “limited.”

Unfortunately we live in an era of prolific passing - the last time at least 10 teams didn't top 4K passing yards in a season was 2010.

Teams drafting on measurables alone won't be interested in him, but I think he'll catch on somewhere. His best case comparison is Wes Welker: short, small, slot receiver that runs great routes and who worked his ass off to carve a niche for himself in the NFL.

The doubting side of me wonders if he has "Abbate'd" himself though - denied himself the last football he was going to play.

Back