• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dortch leaving for NFL

Well, a far less talented midget receiver/punt returner (5-7 173) from UGA, Isiah McKenzie, was a fifth round pick by the Broncos in 2017, and has received limited PT from two NFL teams (Broncos and Bills) over the last two years. The fact that a less talented DAWG twerp could weasel his way into the draft and onto a couple of NFL rosters bodes well for our more productive and talented Dortch...

:cool:

McKenzie has true 4.4 speed and is a better returner than Dortch.

taking education out of the equation, I think it's a toss-up on going vs staying for Greg

he's always been an on-field vs. measurables player, so a full healthy season probably would have improved his stock more than a combo freak type of guy

Why would you take education out of the equation? Lol that’s the one big factor.

The odds are he won’t stick on a team long, if he does at all. Hope he plans for that scenario.

I think his serious, albeit freak, injury did us in. He would have been in dire trouble had he not gotten it checked out - not just career-ending but life-threatening. I believe that put his decision in context and rendered it easier for him to make.

kinda OT, but are there similar measurements of 40-yd speed, broad jump, and vertical for Ish Smith when he left Wake. Eyeball test says they should have been amazing- like as good as anyone ever. Doubt basketball has use for a 40 time, but I wish he'd have run one. Ish has had a nice career derived from his superior athleticism.

Why would you take education out of the equation? Lol that’s the one big factor.

The odds are he won’t stick on a team long, if he does at all. Hope he plans for that scenario.

I stated this above - Campanaro made around $2.5 million in his brief NFL career. NFL paycheck is a pretty big factor.

What’s the median starting salary for a WF graduated football player who doesn’t play in the NFL?

It appears that the assumption is that once Dortch or any other player declares for the draft, the path to complete their college degree is closed. Don't think declaring for the draft means that Dortch or any other player can't or won't earn their degree.

It appears that the assumption is that once Dortch or any other player declares for the draft, the path to complete their college degree is closed. Don't think declaring for the draft means that Dortch or any other player can't or won't earn their degree.

We should also be realistic about how far along in his studies a football player who was in school for 2.5 years really is.

Of course it doesn't. But college at 24 as a regular student is a lot different than college at 21 playing the game you love with your best friends. There's a lot of kids every year who stay primarily for the college experience, with the confidence the NFL will still be there for them a year (or two) later. Most alpha football dudes are pretty confident in their abilities to improve their draft stock as well.

Obviously, Dortch wanted to hurry up and try to live his dream, making money playing the game he loves. Can never fault a kid for going that route, but there's plenty of reason to be concerned it's a decision he'll end up regretting.

Yep. I don't have specific stats, but by virtue of the 3 year rule and how relatively few players declare early, it's safe to say the NFL has a far higher percentage of athletes with bachelor's degrees than the NBA and NFL. The NFL schedule also makes it easier for players to go back to school and get a degree. Only a few teams are playing when the Spring semester starts. NFL players can also attend classes during the first if not both summer sessions. The NFLPA helps coordinates MBA programs around the country. Here's the one at the U: http://bulletin.miami.edu/graduate-...nal-mba/miami-executive-mba-artists-athletes/

Any sportswriter will tell you that the dumbest group they deal with is major league baseball players.

We should also be realistic about how far along in his studies a football player who was in school for 2.5 years really is.

Fall
Spring
Summer 1
Summer 2
Fall
Spring
Summer 1
Summer 2
Fall

That’s not an insignificant amount of school.

No, it's not, but they're going to summer school so they can take a reduced load in the school year. And a lot of them attend summer school before they even start practice in the summer as freshmen.

I stated this above - Campanaro made around $2.5 million in his brief NFL career. NFL paycheck is a pretty big factor.

What’s the median starting salary for a WF graduated football player who doesn’t play in the NFL?

What? I don’t get the comparison.

Camp didn’t leave WF early lol. Dortch is.

Camp is bigger and faster than Dortch. He was drafted 7th round. Dortch is 6-7th round or UDFA.

Unfortunately, Camp also had injury issues. But he got 4 full seasons (almost five) from the NFL that’s awesome. But he also has his degree and doesn’t have to go back to school.

I don’t blame Dortch for going after his dream. But there is a good chance he either doesn’t get drafted and/or has a short career. So leaving early with no degree has to be weighed against this fact.

What? I don’t get the comparison.

Camp didn’t leave WF early lol. Dortch is.

Camp is bigger and faster than Dortch. He was drafted 7th round. Dortch is 6-7th round or UDFA.

Unfortunately, Camp also had injury issues. But he got 4 full seasons (almost five) from the NFL that’s awesome. But he also has his degree and doesn’t have to go back to school.

I don’t blame Dortch for going after his dream. But there is a good chance he either doesn’t get drafted and/or has a short career. So leaving early with no degree has to be weighed against this fact.

Dortch was compared to Camp earlier in the thread.

You said education was the one big factor. I disagree. If Dortch has a short NFL career, he'll earn more money before age 30 than most WF non-athlete grads earn before 40, at least. And in his estimation, now was the right time to start his pro football career.

I have no idea what Camp is doing now, but it would not be unreasonable that his future earnings will be driven at least as much from the cache of being a former NFL player than from his WF degree.

You said education was the one big factor. I disagree. If Dortch has a short NFL career, he'll earn more money before age 30 than most WF non-athlete grads earn before 40, at least. And in his estimation, now was the right time to start his pro football career.

I have no idea what Camp is doing now, but it would not be unreasonable that his future earnings will be driven at least as much from the cache of being a former NFL player than from his WF degree.

Maybe, maybe not. There is big upside along with serious risk.

It is really important that he gets drafted and makes the 53-man roster as a rookie to have a chance at a long career. He would make just under 500K in his first season in the scenario.

If he is UDFA and doesn't make the 53, his earning are way less and little is guaranteed. The examples I saw recently from top UDFA was like $7,500-$50K guaranteed at the top end. Plausible he could get almost nothing guaranteed. Also, he could be picked up and cut by multiple teams across the country, that would be a lot of extra expenses and difficult to manage.

A career like Camp would be above average. Camp got drafted, made the 53, got a second contract from the Ravens for >$1M and received another shot with the Titans. That's pretty damn good for a 7th round pick, but was actually a shorter career than average for a rookie that makes a 53-roster from what I could find.

No idea if employers care if someone played in the NFL or not, unless you are getting into coaching or a big-time name.

Like I said - I don't blame him at all for chasing a dream. But I wouldn't consider it a clear decision at all to leave early. Will be rooting for him to get drafted and make the 53!

If he only average $750K/yr, he'd make $6M by age 30. Do you really think many Wake grads average $350K/year? And that's assuming going directly into the job market. If they go to law school, they would need to average over $400K. Med school and residency would mean. the person would need to average north of $500K/year.

A more reasonable age would be 50.

If he only average $750K/yr, he'd make $6M by age 30. Do you really think many Wake grads average $350K/year? And that's assuming going directly into the job market. If they go to law school, they would need to average over $400K. Med school and residency would mean. the person would need to average north of $500K/year.

A more reasonable age would be 50.

I was being conservative

as mentioned, Camp made ~$2.5 million in his short career and the median WF grad will arguably earn that by age 50

still, obviously, the NFL offers the prospect of life-changing, generation-changing money which can't be ignored

Back