• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dortch leaving for NFL

You just cut Dortch's career by half. You said he'd play until he's 30.

You just cut Dortch's career by half. You said he'd play until he's 30.

where?

I said he'd earn more before age 30 with a short career. Never said he'd play to age 30...in part because that's not a short career in the NFL

where?

I said he'd earn more before age 30 with a short career. Never said he'd play to age 30...in part because that's not a short career in the NFL

This is what you said, "If Dortch has a short NFL career, he'll earn more money before age 30"

Has a short career is not the same as "with a short career". Your original post, like saying age of 40, are different than what are saying now.

I understand it's me, but the implication was that he would play until he's 30.

Of course, you guys neglect the clear moving of the goalposts from age 40 to age 50.

I get it. Even when I'm right in pointing out, I'm wrong.

this, ladies and gentlemen, is rjkarl distilled to his essence

Lol, rj, come on

yeah

I'm out, but first...

I understand it's me, but the implication was that he would play until he's 30.

Of course, you guys neglect the clear moving of the goalposts from age 40 to age 50.

I get it. Even when I'm right in pointing out, I'm wrong.

wait, what? moved the goalposts to 50?

I said 40 - you said 50, and I responded why I chose not to say 50

ok, now I'm out

The average NFL career, according to the NFLPA, is 3.3 years. Average.

The NFL says it's 6 years, which is longer, but still not age 30.

Does the NFL self-insure yet? Wasn't there also a story about how college programs are having trouble getting insurance? How does this all play into the average career?

One of the weakest parts of the NFL is how insultingly low their disability coverage is. This is another piece of evidence of how weak the NFLPA is.

The average NFL career, according to the NFLPA, is 3.3 years. Average.

The NFL says it's 6 years, which is longer, but still not age 30.

The distinction I saw was three years for all players (less for WR) and six years is for rookies who make the 53-man roster in the first season. FWIW, Camp was below the career average.

Would think that early entrants have to be certain of a mid-round pick as the floor barring some unique situations. 6-7th round with UDFA as a strong possibility is a tough road.

The risk of not getting drafted seems much bigger to me that the risk of not having another great season or two at Wake, not improving draft stock and potential injuries. And you have your degree.

Really hoping he gets drafted, has a good camp and can get 53 somewhere.

One of the weakest parts of the NFL is how insultingly low their disability coverage is. This is another piece of evidence of how weak the NFLPA is.

What is your understanding of the NFL's disability coverage under the current CBA?

"The NFL does provide limited disability coverage that offers benefits of about $180,000 after taxes. That's not enough to compensate an injured player for the wages they could have earned , according to Larcheveque. An NFL spokeswoman referred questions about player insurance to the NFL Players Association."

"The NFL does provide limited disability coverage that offers benefits of about $180,000 after taxes. That's not enough to compensate an injured player for the wages they could have earned , according to Larcheveque. An NFL spokeswoman referred questions about player insurance to the NFL Players Association."

You quoted from a CBS Sports article written 5 years ago: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/most-nfl-players-dont-buy-disability-insurance/ The point of that article was that players often choose to not buy their own disability insurance on top of what is offered through the NFL CBA. It was not to critique the NFL CBA.

The NFLPA now offers a more comprehensive disability benefit program which is outlined on pages 27-29 of this linked PDF: https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/NFLPA/Active%20Player%20Resources/Benefits_Book.pdf

NFL players with disabilities can receive: a) Line-of-duty disability benefits; b) Total and Permanent Disability Benefits; c) Neurocognitive Disability Benefits; d) The 88 Plan for health benefits for players that develop dementia. The treatment of NFL players with disabilities is far from perfect, but strides are being made to improve disability coverage, and this has been a major focus of the NFLPA in recent years.

You quoted from a CBS Sports article written 5 years ago: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/most-nfl-players-dont-buy-disability-insurance/ The point of that article was that players often choose to not buy their own disability insurance on top of what is offered through the NFL CBA. It was not to critique the NFL CBA.

The NFLPA now offers a more comprehensive disability benefit program which is outlined on pages 27-29 of this linked PDF: https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/NFLPA/Active%20Player%20Resources/Benefits_Book.pdf

NFL players with disabilities can receive: a) Line-of-duty disability benefits; b) Total and Permanent Disability Benefits; c) Neurocognitive Disability Benefits; d) The 88 Plan for health benefits for players that develop dementia. The treatment of NFL players with disabilities is far from perfect, but strides are being made to improve disability coverage, and this has been a major focus of the NFLPA in recent years.

giphy.gif

Is far from perfect, but you still have to challenge...greatttt...

McShay has Greg ranked as #32 WR, Haynes is the #12 G, Anderson is the #25 C. One guy on the NFL network has Haynes going #223 to the Bengals (7th round).

I don't understand the #32 eval at all. I don't follow the NFL nearly as closely as I used to, but Dortch is a special playmaker. What he lacks in size and speed he more than makes up for in route running and hands, and straight up productivity. His numbers have always been great. One of my favorite Wake athletes of all time. Best of luck in the draft, Greg!

I understand the need for bigs. In almost every sport bigger & stronger is better, but in todays NFL where offenses are more spread out than ever i think Dortch will thrive. Some team is gonna get a steal at this point in the draft. Hope it's my Browns! Dorsey is making all the right moves so far...

Back