• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dortch leaving for NFL

Damn, was convinced that despite his size his tape would get him drafted. There’s no way you can tell me Hunter Renfrow is a better receiver than Dortch.
Of all the receivers who have been picked already, that’s the one you mention?

Is this Godwin guy from UGA any good. Doesn’t seem like a better pick than Dortch.

Pre-Draft Analysis
Godwin is an undersized receiver with average speed and less-than-ideal length. He lacks explosive acceleration, but he's a smooth athlete and smart route runner with good short-area quickness. His best trait is his ball skills. He does a strong job of plucking on the run and transitioning upfield. He frequently makes the first defender miss and shows good field vision as a runner.

Godwin had like 350 yards rec and 3 TD. That’s like 2 or 3 games for Dortch.

Anybody who comes on here to gloat about how they were right, how somebody else was wrong, or about how Greg made a bad choice should fuck right off.

Is this Godwin guy from UGA any good. Doesn’t seem like a better pick than Dortch.

Pre-Draft Analysis
Godwin is an undersized receiver with average speed and less-than-ideal length. He lacks explosive acceleration, but he's a smooth athlete and smart route runner with good short-area quickness. His best trait is his ball skills. He does a strong job of plucking on the run and transitioning upfield. He frequently makes the first defender miss and shows good field vision as a runner.

That analysis is much better than the one they have for Dortch. Must not have seen the guy play. He is a gamer.

Time to find the best place for him to showcase his talents. Still think he will make it

Figured he would be drafted too. So many other WRs were drafted that I felt were not nearly as good. I’m not sure another year here would have helped his draft stock though. I think his size (and maybe a bit of speed) was a liability for most teams.

I wish Greg the best. It is frustrating dealing with Clemson retaining 1st round talent on the d-line for extra years and whenever we seem to get a game changing talent they want to peace out as soon as possible.

Being a free agent can be better than being picked by a team with lots of guys at your position.

Of all the receivers who have been picked already, that’s the one you mention?

As a Raiders fan I was hoping they would draft Greg. Was not particularly pleased with Renfrow.

Horrible outcome. Not gloating, no joy, frankly depressed. Dortch top 5 favorite player for me (2006 first year at Wake).
But sorry, this was a downright terrible decision. How many All-Americans with eligibility remaining have ever gone undrafted?

This was either bad advice or horrible hubris. Man, I hope he is the best undrafted player in this class.

I wish Greg the best. It is frustrating dealing with Clemson retaining 1st round talent on the d-line for extra years and whenever we seem to get a game changing talent they want to peace out as soon as possible.

At the same time, it’s not a devastating loss because Hinton should be a playmaker and we have two 4* WR.

Horrible outcome. Not gloating, no joy, frankly depressed. Dortch top 5 favorite player for me (2006 first year at Wake).
But sorry, this was a downright terrible decision. How many All-Americans with eligibility remaining have ever gone undrafted?

This was either bad advice or horrible hubris. Man, I hope he is the best undrafted player in this class.

The football draft is grossly different than the NBA draft. It's nowhere near as defined. He may have gotten fine advice and it not worked out.

It was very unlikely he would have done much to improve his status by returning, could have gotten injured or had fewer touches.

Figured he would be drafted too. So many other WRs were drafted that I felt were not nearly as good. I’m not sure another year here would have helped his draft stock though. I think his size (and maybe a bit of speed) was a liability for most teams.

Alternative is to finish your eligibility and be one of the school’s greatest. There is value in that. Not everyone has to be a pro to maximize their time playing a sport. Baseball is what I know and it is extremely frustrating to see good college players focus their entire joy on being a pro when they could be enjoying their Jr/Sr year, because frankly they are not going to get out of complex ball. Sacrificing that (and potential business value/connections) needs to be a bigger part of the equation for non-measurable guys.

Back