• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dortch leaving for NFL

I’m tired of wake athletes leaving early to go undrafted.... it’s happened too many times

I feel like it happens to us more than other teams - but maybe it just feels that way because I don't follow other teams as closely? This is why we can't have nice things...

I really think Dortch could have helped himself by coming back and making it through a season healthy. Durability (or lack thereof) is a big deal when you’re getting paid to play, and for all of his production, Dortch was never able to stay on the field consistently.

Since you say durability has been Dortch's problem, why would you think returning would change this situation?

If he missed even one or two games wouldn't that hurt him?

He was #6 in the nation in receptions this year. He was a 1st and 2nd team AA returner. How much better could he have done?

I hope he's good shape to graduate.

Since you say durability has been Dortch's problem, why would you think returning would change this situation?

If he missed even one or two games wouldn't that hurt him?

He was #6 in the nation in receptions this year. He was a 1st and 2nd team AA returner. How much better could he have done?

I hope he's good shape to graduate.

Graduate? I'd bet he's got at least a year and a half of course work left

Graduate? I'd bet he's got at least a year and a half of course work left

Well he was in school for 3 years plus any summer work so I would certainly hope not!

He was in summer school so he could take a reduced load during the season.

I hated summer school at Wake. NC summers were oppressively hot and humid for a Mainer like myself. Plus it was depressing to be taking more classes because I botched my major selection the first time around.... and campus was just generally lonelier since there was barely anyone around. Womp womp.

What happens to guys who don't catch on with NFL practice squads but don't have a degree? CFL? A career in coaching? XFL (doesn't sound like an option for someone with durability issues).

I'm in the camp where I do think it was the right move for Greg to leave and I'm dumbfounded he didn't get drafted. I saw a lot of fan Tweets from fans who were hoping he'd land with their teams.

Guys aren't going to have many coaching options without the college degree. Some schools have non athletic financial aid to help athletes finish their degrees.

Its tough to even be a grad assistant if your not a grad.

Here's to Greg making many teams sad they didn't draft him.

As a Jets fan, I am excited about this Dortch signing.

Still would have liked to see him at Wake for another season, but oh well.

I hated summer school at Wake. NC summers were oppressively hot and humid for a Mainer like myself. Plus it was depressing to be taking more classes because I botched my major selection the first time around.... and campus was just generally lonelier since there was barely anyone around. Womp womp.

What happens to guys who don't catch on with NFL practice squads but don't have a degree? CFL? A career in coaching? XFL (doesn't sound like an option for someone with durability issues).

I'm in the camp where I do think it was the right move for Greg to leave and I'm dumbfounded he didn't get drafted. I saw a lot of fan Tweets from fans who were hoping he'd land with their teams.

I am likewise stunned he did not get drafted. Canada would be the next option if he does not catch on, but there are no guarantees of playing up north, either. That is a good league with a lot of talented veteran players. And as noted, without a college degree, I do not think he could really coach on any level. Having said that, I do think Wake does the lifetime scholarship deal so he can finish up (or finish up at a local, state school).

He was at Wake for three years and at least two summers (and maybe three). He should be very close.

Redshirt freshman year
Freshman year
Half of Soph year (I seriously doubt he was at wake second semester)

And as mentioned above, they take Summer School so they can take fewer courses during the year.

My point stands

Sad for him. The Jets are as fine a place as any to be an UFA WR right now, they didn't draft a WR, and they lack an explosive WR, though they do have several other slot WR's whose sizes are similar to Greg's. Gase uses slots alot, (see: Danny Amendola). That being said it will be tough for him to make the roster. Refs aren't as prevalent in camp to stop a big CB from holding a smaller WR. Teams can hold mini camps on May 3-6. CFL draft is May 2nd. Like all of us, I am sure Greg is thinking other decisions should have been made, but still hoping for the best.

Interesting draft for WRs, Tyron Johnson a former 5 star went undrafted. David Sills, who had 18 and 15 TDs respectively his last two years went drafted. All and all, 28 WR's were drafted.

Not sure if this has been posted in this long-ass thread, but this is a nice window into his thinking:

“It was a long process. A lot of long nights talking to my parents. I felt like it was the best decision for me. No regrets. The NFL is looking for guys who can play multiple positions. I’m a punt returner, kick returner and wide receiver. I’m very explosive when I get the ball in my hands. I’m exciting to watch. Teams are looking for that. My size was a question, but I’m not going to grow overnight. I’m not going to become 6-foot-2 if I’d come back and played. I’m a two-time All American here. There was really not much more I could do here, but to get my degree. I’m going to come back to school once I get into the NFL and I’m going to get my degree. I just think it was the best decision for me to leave.”

https://247sports.com/college/wake-...tch-signs-deal-with-New-York-Jets--131560945/

Great quote. Greg is a great kid, he'll succeed no matter what happens in the NFL. He's got a good head on his shoulders and he works really hard. This isn't the first time he's had to prove himself.

Back