• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dortch leaving for NFL

Could you imagine having enough time to do a detailed breakdown of an UFA?

I’m a Jets fan and a Wake Forest alum, and I have zero interest in watching any of that.

Thanks for posting that. It was really interesting seeing that detailed of a breakdown of Dortch's film. That guy seemed to do a good job of breaking down the plays and I actually enjoyed hearing his perspective.

The way you do it is you save time by never going to the store to purchase Kleenex and instead habitually wiping your nose with your fingers. While recording a video for (very minor) public consumption.

thanks rj

If this guy's take is anywhere close to accurate, then Dortch could have done something with another year at Wake. I wish Dortch could have heard this guy (or someone like him) before making his decision.

Last edited:
This guy knows just enough to sound smart.

He criticized him for being lazy in a game where he ran around 100 plays. One play he picked out was around 3 yards from a first down. The corner was playing 7 yards off the ball and started backing up when the ball was snapped. Dortch ran a little sit down route for about 4-5 yards maintaining the distance between himself and the defender and caught a pass for a first down. The guy in the video said he didn’t run hard enough. Dortch was smart enough not to close space for an easy first down.

The very first example the guy used wasn’t a great route by Dortch. All the other examples were dumb.

This guy knows just enough to sound smart.

He criticized him for being lazy in a game where he ran around 100 plays. One play he picked out was around 3 yards from a first down. The corner was playing 7 yards off the ball and started backing up when the ball was snapped. Dortch ran a little sit down route for about 4-5 yards maintaining the distance between himself and the defender and caught a pass for a first down. The guy in the video said he didn’t run hard enough. Dortch was smart enough not to close space for an easy first down.

The very first example the guy used wasn’t a great route by Dortch. All the other examples were dumb.

Wow that guy hates Dortch. lol. Someone should save this just in case this does work out well for Dortch. I mean... wow.

Was Dortch going to grow if he stayed?

Define "grow?"

He could have grown as a young man, as an academic, hell, has a lover. He could have a little garden outside his window that he abandoned. He could have grown smarter. He could done all kinds of growing things. He chose to grow into a professional athlete.

Nice Dortch mentions at the end of this Jets minicamp wrap up.
https://www.nj.com/jets/2019/06/10-...laybook-what-did-quinnen-williams-reveal.html

9. Special teams wars
There may not be much intrigue in the starting lineup, but the special teams unit actually has some fascinating battles. Boyer has always been high on punter Lachlan Edwards, but now he’s fighting for a job with Matt Darr, who played for Gase with the Dolphins. That’s a fascinating dynamic.
There’s also the question of who will handle return duties. Right now, there’s a pretty big group of guys looking to fill that role. Greg Dortch, Quadree Henderson and J.J. Jones appear to be the main competitors, for now. But that job remains wide open, according to Boyer. And he doesn’t think he’ll be able to get a good evaluation until he sees those players in preseason game action.

10. Greg Dortch leads the UDFA pack
Dortch has been by far the best of the UDFA bunch. For starters, he’s wrapped up in the fight for return man honors, as we just mentioned. Just to have a shot at that job puts him ahead of a lot of undrafted players. But the fact that he’s been involved in the offense as a backup is a huge bonus, too. Dortch made an unbelievable grab on Thursday and has been consistently showing off his agility throughout the spring. He’s been taking advantage of this opportunity so far, without a doubt.

the phrase "damning him with faint praise" comes to mind

Coach Adam Gase is praying for an injury-free season because there's a big drop off after the top three. After them, it's a bunch of special-teams guys with limited backgrounds as receivers. Don't be surprised if new general manager Joe Douglas adds a veteran pass catcher before opening day. Bellamy and Peake will stick because they're fantastic on special teams. What's missing is a proven punt returner; I still don't understand why they didn't re-sign All-Pro Andre Roberts. For now, we'll give the job to the 5-foot-7 Dortch, an explosive punt returner at Wake Forest, but you have to think someone better will come along.

I guess. It’s still impressive for a UFA to get projected to be on the roster and even starting as a return man at the start of camp.

I guess. It’s still impressive for a UFA to get projected to be on the roster and even starting as a return man at the start of camp.

Still sucks to lose someone who would be a huge difference maker in the acc as an UFA but wish him well.

Back