• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dortch leaving for NFL

He was 1st team AA...

As a special teams player. Even that is pretty suspect IMO. Jaylen Waddle from Alabama was much better this season.

Still waiting for someone to give some objective analysis on why they believe Dortch will be a quality NFL player.

I think he should’ve waited one more year imo. Wish him the best nonetheless.

Glad for the kid. We can all debate whether or not he should do it or if he's gonna make it but fact is, he was a stud here and and even better kid. Hope he does well.

Congratulations, Greg. Good luck in the NFL.

I don't buy the "too small" nonsense. He's 1" and 10 lbs smaller than Antonio Brown.
Besides, Muggsy was too small, and he had a nice college and NBA career.

Ugh, I feel like we never really got to see him at his peak. Selfishly I’d like to see him stay at least one more year but I totally get it.

Losing two RS Sophomores over the past two seasons hurts. Can’t help but feel we would be a threat to win up to 9-10 games next year with Bates and Dortch.

Still waiting for someone to give some objective analysis on why they believe Dortch will be a quality NFL player.

His next chapter could be the CFL instead of the NFL.
He could tear it up on a bigger, more wide open field and his size would not be such a disadvantage.

Think he should have stayed. Having said that, this only helps our recruiting and helps build the program if Dortch does make the NFL.

So, I'm indifferent and wish him nothing but the best. We have plenty of talent coming to the table at WR (two 4-stars) for the next few seasons.

Congratulations, Greg. Good luck in the NFL.

I don't buy the "too small" nonsense. He's 1" and 10 lbs smaller than Antonio Brown.
Besides, Muggsy was too small, and he had a nice college and NBA career.

Agreed. Plenty of "smaller" guys playing in the NFL.

Ugh, I feel like we never really got to see him at his peak. Selfishly I’d like to see him stay at least one more year but I totally get it.

Losing two RS Sophomores over the past two seasons hurts. Can’t help but feel we would be a threat to win up to 9-10 games next year with Bates and Dortch.

I get the hypothetical but Bates would’ve been a redshirt Senior next year. He never would’ve stayed that long based on his production. And obviously he made the right decision.

Hope the same holds true for Greg and he kills it in the draft process. Staying one more year wouldn’t have made him grow so guess he decided now was the time.

I wish him the best but I don�t really see him as an NFL player. He�s absolutely tiny by NFL standards and hasn�t really been spectacular this year. I guess I get the angle that he�s not going to get any bigger with another year. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Greg Dortch is listed at 5'9

Tyreek Hill is 5'10
TY Hilton is 5'9
Randall Cobb is 5'10
Steve Smith is 5'9
Antonio Brown is 5'10
Travis Benjamin is 5'10
Julian Edelman is 5'10
Golden Tate is 5'10

Not saying Dortch will be any of these guys, or will have 5+ year career. But "NFL standards" usually are can you play/produce. Dortch certainly produced and could play at the college level. He's a value add at kick/punt returner for any team which could be the difference between a roster spot or not. I think he'll need to run at least a 4.40-4.45 electronically timed 40 to improve his draft stock, but good for him. If this is his dream, go get it.

Last edited:
There is a big difference between saying "I wish he would stay because he's good and I want my team to be good" and "he's not good enough or prepared enough (but secretly thinking that because he's good and you want your team to be good).

Just say it.

The truth of the matter is we all love Greg and want him to stay because we are a better team with him on the field. That being said congrats Greg we'll miss you but we are Wake Forest and we can't have nice things for long. Imagine a team with Jesse and Greg on it we ain't Clemson or Bama we don't get these kids every day like they do so it hurts that much more to lose them

Tim Duncan stayed at Wake Forest for four years. Just sayin'.

Clearly Bates made the right decision, let's hope Greg got the same kind of advice.

I certainly wish him the best and will root for him every Sunday. That being said - Shit!

Tim Duncan stayed at Wake Forest for four years. Just sayin'.
Football is a much tougher game than basketball, if you are going to be a fairly high NFL draft pick, you need to take the money.

Curious to see what type of 40 time he puts up. Remember his HS times were underwhelming.

Back