• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dortch leaving for NFL

Sorry RJ, I quoted your post above because I wanted to mention that minor league pay is the same for everyone. It used to be the big bonus guys could sign big league deals and get paid better, but they got rid of that a couple years ago. MLB wants every minor leaguer (even 1st round picks) making less per hour than the hot dog vendor (this is a statistically accurate statement).

Don't worry...good info..

Thanks

A similar type of decision was addressed today by ECU baseball coach Godwin at the Raleigh Sports Club. . Football vs baseball, two different sports and one very physical and injury prone.
But for baseball - Bigs offer a kid $1M signing bonus vs college scholarship offer (those are not usually full) . In 6 years if you didn't make it big you'd have this situation. 1- $1 Million is more like $500k up front after taxes, etc. 2- after 6 yrs, you may have $50K remaining, but no degree, no experience,etc. and on your own. Which was the better decision there?

But he said if a guys has a 95 MPH fastball throwing in 35 degree Spring weather, he is gone, and not signing the scholarship offer.

Did Godwin really say all this?? Misleading at best, a different word if not at best.

Pretty close, I was not recording notes. Don't recall he mentioned they are mostly partial scholarships at that point of his hypothetical example. He did say that a baseball team has only 11.7 at some point. I think he is a pretty good coach and has an impressive resume'. His players have to define and follow a pretty strict schedule with their time and activities, that they develop.

Pretty close, I was not recording notes. Don't recall he mentioned they are mostly partial scholarships at that point of his hypothetical example. He did say that a baseball team has only 11.7 at some point. I think he is a pretty good coach and has an impressive resume'. His players have to define and follow a pretty strict schedule with their time and activities, that they develop.

Do not disagree he is a good coach. He has a strong reputation of developing players which is what he should be focusing on specifically with recruiting. Flush the false premise that a million dollar guy will have no money, no degree, and no options if he goes pro.

Instead focus on how 3 years of developing with his program will lead to a long big league career vs. a HS kid signing and spending 2 years in the GCL training with lesser baseball minds at the complex (in some MLB cases).

And back to this thread and Dortch, if no scholarship plan, that does sting more that he went pro without that degree that he will now have to a pay a premium for when he matriculates again.

Dortch was picked up by the Rams on their practice squad

Too bad the Jets didn't get him back, they called up a WR from the practice squad last night who got WR targets in the game.

Being an all American football player and all time great at a college is also pretty damn sweet. Dortch would be in the exact same position next year or year after except he would also be an acc football legend. Now he’s just a guy. Terrible decision on his part and I feel bad for the guy

Sure, that COULD'VE happened. He also could've regressed in college and never even had his cup of coffee in the NFL that came with paychecks. Or he could've blown out his ACL in college, same result.

The absolutely certainty of saying "terrible decision" just because we personally wanted him to stay and play for free for our favorite team is ludicrous.

Too bad the Jets didn't get him back, they called up a WR from the practice squad last night who got WR targets in the game.

Jets burned him once. He may not have been as interested a second time, particularly when he had another offer.

Dortch was picked up by the Rams on their practice squad

The Eagles could have used.

Hell, the Eagles could sign ChrisL, but I'm guessing he wouldn't want to get hurt like all of the Eagles' receivers this year.

The Eagles could have used.

Hell, the Eagles could sign ChrisL, but I'm guessing he wouldn't want to get hurt like all of the Eagles' receivers this year.

Any team can sign a player from any practice squad onto the 53 man roster. Dortch being in LA simply makes tje plane ticket more expensive.

Back