• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dortch leaving for NFL

Gawd, I will miss his electricity! You just knew when he caught a punt or a pass w/just a bit of room he was going to be dangerous. Great kid and I hate that he is leaving! Of course, I hate when we lose any good players. Losing CP3 to this day hurts like a mother, but I guess it worked out ok for him... ; )

Does the NFL have the rule that you can come back if you don't like your projections? I would imagine he will be in the first four rounds.

many players are doing this now with no injuries...dorth did not even practice since the duke game. could have been his finger or he could have known hes already leaving and wanted to wait until after the bowl game to not take the spotlight away from the team. this man had the game of his career while internally bleeding and almost dying...i dont think him being injury prone is as big a deal as some of these haters

He had surgery on his finger. It’s not like he rolled his ankle on an out route or something.

Tbf he did seem to have a nagging ankle issue this season. Didn’t miss any starts but did keep him sidelined for some game stretches.

Guess there could be hard feelings between the two but truth is, Hinton screwed up and that's on him. I really hope he comes back because I think he would be awesome with some more work at receiver.

Would love to know the full story. 4 games for smoking weed, if that is what it was, seems excessive. May be more to the story. Would like to see Hinton contribute as a receiver next year.

Good for Greg - he’s been incredibly fun to watch and a great representative of Wake Forest.

He’ll be a good player at the next level,if I had to choose a concern it would be injuries (see Campanaro). That’s only if the hand injury was a real one. He was durable outside of a fluke injury last year and the hand this year.

Losing him and Bachman is huge, but I think we’ll be okay. I believe in Higgins, Claw, and Ruggiero - we won two straight bowl games without him. We get to watch another proud representative of Wake on Sunday’s now and have a wealth of wide receiver talent coming in.

Also, I hope the fucking Patriots don’t draft him.

Last edited:
how do people square their enthusiasm for Dortch and the lingering resentment for CP3

Would love to know the full story. 4 games for smoking weed, if that is what it was, seems excessive. May be more to the story. Would like to see Hinton contribute as a receiver next year.

yeah, getting hinton back would be amazing. and probably his best shot at the nfl since he already knows the offense and team.

how do people square their enthusiasm for Dortch and the lingering resentment for CP3

Expectations for team with and without player. Available guys to play the position. Wake has two of the best recruits in a long time at Dortch's position. Timing of departure and way it was discussed.

Good BB recruits had passed on Wake because of CP3. There really wasn't a great replacement available. One great player has a much bigger impact in BB than in FB. A BB player is 20% of the players on the court. And plays about 16% (32/200 minutes) or so of available playing time.

One football player plays either offense or defense so is only expected on the field for less than half the game. Then given that he is one of 11, on offense, he is 9% of playing time for offense. If a receiver has 15 catches in a game, that is a lot, even out of 100 offensive snaps. So he would actually touch the ball and advance it about 15% of tje offensive plays. A basketball point guard touches the ball in 90+% of the offensive plays.

CP3 was the BB equivalent of the FB QB. Ball was in his hands on every offensive possession
Dortch was much more like a really good shooting wing. Defenses had to account for him, but he wasn't touching the ball every time.

The above correlation isn't exact.

Dortch didn't punch somebody in the nuts which pretty much derailed a great season before bolting to the pros.

Dortch also didn’t convince people he was going to stay longer than he did. Paul had everybody fooled.

Chris Paul was convinced by the coaching staff to turn pro. He wanted to come back but they ultimately convinced him otherwise. I remember being in a WF summer basketball camp after he declared (before the draft) and a kid asked him in front of everyone if he could come back. Dude actually shed a tear when he pointed out his agent in the room and said that once he signed with him he couldn’t come back. There was pain in his voice. And then I remember Skip stepping in and telling everyone that it was the right time for Chris to declare. “Now we get to watch him be the best point guard in the NBA”, a quote that became true very quickly

That doesn’t make sense considering they didn’t recruit a replacement.

That doesn’t make sense considering they didn’t recruit a replacement.

So you would tell a kid who was like a son to you to stay and risk injury for your own benefit over him leaving and signing a contract that guarantees millions. It’s not like he was a late projection, he was a lock to be top 5

So you would tell a kid who was like a son to you to stay and risk injury for your own benefit over him leaving and signing a contract that guarantees millions. It’s not like he was a late projection, he was a lock to be top 5

Not saying that. I’m saying that I would tell other kids that Paul was probably leaving so they would have a chance to start.

That’s horseshit, pirate. Skip was caught off guard, and actually pissed at Nike who he thought pushed CP toward his decision. He joked about switching to Adidas.

I’m not going to start an argument over something that happened a decade and a half ago. At that time, I had family ties in the program and I can tell you that immediately following the tourney loss CP went to Skip to tell him that he wanted to come back to finish what they started. Skip told him he would welcome him back but he wanted him to test the waters first. When CP got the high rankings he got, Skip encouraged him to leave and CP took that advice. I haven’t heard that story yet about Nike and Skip but I’m sure their money was a part of the decision too. During the season, everyone thought he was coming back including CP. Thats one of the reasons Chalmers didn’t end up here

Back