• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dortch leaving for NFL

We were up 13 at halftime over WV. Skip, God rest his soul, was outcoached majorly by Beilein. It wasn't the first time we melted in the tournament to a lower seed (2003 for example). The nut punch derailing our season is a myth.

how do people square their enthusiasm for Dortch and the lingering resentment for CP3

One reason is CP3 told people (including me) that he was coming back. I am sure that Prosser thought he would have him for another year.

Expectations for team with and without player. Available guys to play the position. Wake has two of the best recruits in a long time at Dortch's position. Timing of departure and way it was discussed.

Good BB recruits had passed on Wake because of CP3. There really wasn't a great replacement available. One great player has a much bigger impact in BB than in FB. A BB player is 20% of the players on the court. And plays about 16% (32/200 minutes) or so of available playing time.

One football player plays either offense or defense so is only expected on the field for less than half the game. Then given that he is one of 11, on offense, he is 9% of playing time for offense. If a receiver has 15 catches in a game, that is a lot, even out of 100 offensive snaps. So he would actually touch the ball and advance it about 15% of tje offensive plays. A basketball point guard touches the ball in 90+% of the offensive plays.

CP3 was the BB equivalent of the FB QB. Ball was in his hands on every offensive possession
Dortch was much more like a really good shooting wing. Defenses had to account for him, but he wasn't touching the ball every time.

The above correlation isn't exact.
Even Stevie Wonder could see that CP3 was leaving after 2 seasons after his freshman year!!!

Hell, CP3 played an April fools joke and announced he was leaving for the NBA after his freshman year on the classic waketv program Sportsline

No he didn't

I don't know where this narrative came from

Where did the narrative come from? Because people were shocked when he left. Skip hadn’t recruited a replacement. I specifically remember sounding the warning signs on the boards when Paul took a phone call from Jordan during a team meal in that episode of The Season. People thought I was being ridiculous.

Where did the narrative come from? Because people were shocked when he left. Skip hadn’t recruited a replacement. I specifically remember sounding the warning signs on the boards when Paul took a phone call from Jordan during a team meal in that episode of The Season. People thought I was being ridiculous.

It’s really weird. The CP resentment is so stupid and weird. I was close to the program in those days, too. The staff knew. OWGs looking for reasons to hate one of the greatest to don OG&B is one of the worst aspects of our fan base.

Dortch would only move the needle a little toward making Wake a top 25 team. Without CP3, Wake went from top 10 to not top 25 in BB.

It’s really weird. The CP resentment is so stupid and weird. I was close to the program in those days, too. The staff knew. OWGs looking for reasons to hate one of the greatest to don OG&B is one of the worst aspects of our fan base.

ITT I learned that PhDeac is an OWG

Really felt like in retrospect everyone would've come to grips that any criticism of Chris Paul for leaving after his sophomore year was misguided. Guess not.

Paul left WF, and was not only a first round pick, but was the 4th pick in the draft. Then as a rookie, he averaged 16 ppg 8 apg and 5 rpg and was the NBA rookie of the year. Chris Paul was ready to be a pro; more ready than anyone else in the draft, and when you can make life-changing money, you have to go for it.

As for his "commitment to WF", Chris gave WF 2 years, and has remained faithful to the school and to the W-S Community after leaving for the NBA. While no one here knows the exact communications between Skip and Chris at all relevant times, I have little doubt that by the end of Chris' sophomore year, when it became apparent that CP3 would be a lottery pick, Skip knew Chris had to go. Heck, let's not kid ourselves, if the NBA had been offering Skip a life-changing contract in 2005, Skip would've gone. While there may be some truth that heading into CP3's sophomore year that he had no intention of entering the draft, circumstances change and they did as, by the end of his sophomore season, CP3 was going to be top 5 draft pick; sorry, but CP3 was not and should not have stayed at WF and waited a year to get paid because Skip failed to recruit a PG (that's on Skip; not CP3). Amazing to me that looking back at the way the draft panned out, and the way CP3's career panned out, including his NBA rookie year, that any WF fan would be anything other than happy and proud for Chris Paul. WF did right by CP3, and he did right by WF.

Last edited:

I’m just telling you what happened. What’s weird is the revisionist history that the staff was prepared and the fan base wasn’t surprised.

I think everybody has come to terms with it. Somebody asked why people viewed it differently and others responded with some reasons.

I’m just telling you what happened. What’s weird is the revisionist history that the staff was prepared and the fan base wasn’t surprised.

I’m not arguing that the staff was prepared. Acting like they were blindsided is what is stupid. I wasn’t talking about the fan base knowing as much as sharing my personal experience. It wasn’t much of a secret for those of us who were in the thick of the local basketball scene at the time. In terms of being prepared, I feel like we are more aware now of how staffs sometimes just wiff. It’s not like Skip himself failed to recruit a PG to replace CP. The staff did. Regardless of how well we would do with junior CP, he would have gone pro and we would still need a PG to replace him with. Skip and the staff knew CP had a high probability of leaving. It’s on them for failing to recruit the necessary players to weather that transition. That’s all I’m saying. I was a freshman in college and still pretty plugged in to the Triad basketball scene (as a former player) by the time CP left. I didn’t hear shit about him signing a lease or stringing along a fan base. Then again, I also wasn’t plugged into the message board echo chamber then, either.

We were up 13 at halftime over WV. Skip, God rest his soul, was outcoached majorly by Beilein. It wasn't the first time we melted in the tournament to a lower seed (2003 for example). The nut punch derailing our season is a myth.

2003 was the Lennox Rawlings Josh Howard war comments that seemed to take away team focus and he played very poorly in the postseason after playing great all year.

You don't want distractions right before the NCAA tournament.

My takeaway is that incoming frosh who immediately excel and were SUPPOSED to be obvious red shirts, we should now play the first 2 games and play them a lot and if they earn the right to stay in the 2-deep, redshirt be damned.

Under the new rules, you can play up to four games and get a red-shirt.

Had Chris stayed one extra year and then proceeded to have the season he's having now right before as opposed to right after he signed a $160 million dollar contract, he would have cost himself over $100 million dollars.

Under the new rules, you can play up to four games and get a red-shirt.
Pretty sure he is referring to a two game try-out at the beginning of the season. If they excel, then play them the entire season. If they struggle, then strategically space out the remaining two games for those non-guaranteed contributors to allow for covering possible injury needs or upperclassmen ineffectiveness as the season progresses.

Last edited:
The Dortch takes on that Demon Deacon Sports Nation Facebook Page are awful. It’s as advertised. A friend signed me up for it but I’m going to unfollow it.

Back