• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dortch leaving for NFL

I’m just telling you what happened. What’s weird is the revisionist history that the staff was prepared and the fan base wasn’t surprised.

I can’t believe I’m commenting about this on the Dortch thread, but there is potentially a difference between the staff being unprepared for CP3 leaving and the staff just not being able to land a top PG recruit.

Recruiting isn’t that easy, even when you have a team as good as that one to market.

Not saying it wasn’t a huge miss, I’m just saying it doesn’t say anything about whether or not the staff knew (or, more accurately, when they knew).

Agree with you that it’s weird that people forget it was somewhat of a surprise that he left. Silly to imagine him staying now, but I remember all of the apartment lease signing stuff that had people convinced. And CP3 probably didn’t help himself out by making it seem like he was going to stay when it made no real sense to stick around. Maybe it’s because Duncan stayed 4 years that people had hope?

Wasn’t the year cp3 left also the year taron left ? A decent combo guard not even all star should have been in the pipeline

There’s a reason why that NBADraft.net link was an effective troll for a long time. People didn’t think he was going to leave.

There was plenty of speculation that we couldn’t recruit a good PG because nobody wanted to play behind CP as a freshman. The word definitely wasn’t out that he was planning to leave.

Yes, 92. Skip didn’t replace Taron either unless you count Harvey Hale.

There’s a reason why that NBADraft.net link was an effective troll for a long time. People didn’t think he was going to leave.

There was plenty of speculation that we couldn’t recruit a good PG because nobody wanted to play behind CP as a freshman. The word definitely wasn’t out that he was planning to leave.

Mario Chalmers says hello.

I was just a dork undergrad that occasionally saw CP3 in the Polo dorm and even I knew he was leaving.

It was not a secret. That SI preseason cover sealed the deal. That's why WVU was so heartbreaking, we knew we were losing taron, levy, vytas, and Chris. That year was supposed to be our year.

And then to top it off somehow WVU students ended up at post exams that year and the chicks were so hot but so dumb which normally wouldn't have bothered me but then they started rubbing in the game and pitsnogle and the whole thing sucked.

Btw, totally right call by Dortch.... Good luck dude!

What about Alex Bachman in the pros?

Who knows? Doesn’t seem like an NFL prospect but he a reliable route runner who has good speed and good hands but undersized for his speed. He will get some looks. It’s so hard to judge RBs and WRs nowadays. He could come out of nowhere like Thielen or be among the hundreds of good college WR to not make it.

You keep saying this. Are there any mock drafts that show him going in the first 3 rounds? I haven’t seen one but don’t stalk that stuff.

Rbs arent valued. See my boi phil this year as proof. Dime a dozen smart teams dont jump 3 to grab

Last edited:
It was asked earlier, but are there any NFL sites that have projections for mid-late round guys like Dortch?

Hate to see him leave, but I understand it. Nowadays you have to expect this kinda thing when a player shows glimpses of greatness.

Good luck and GO DEACS!

Has Tabari Hines found a new school yet? He could just plop right back into his old position, after a year sabbatical. Not sure if bridges got burned on his departure; however, there was that grad transfer WR that visited us last season that basically did the same thing. He started out at BYU, transferred to Hawaii, and then finished back up at BYU as a grad transfer.

Has Tabari Hines found a new school yet? He could just plop right back into his old position, after a year sabbatical. Not sure if bridges got burned on his departure; however, there was that grad transfer WR that visited us last season that basically did the same thing. He started out at BYU, transferred to Hawaii, and then finished back up at BYU as a grad transfer.

Hines found out the grass is not greener.

This is an excerpt from a fantasy football letter I subscribe to. It obviously not about Dortch, but teaches us to judge WR's by more than size and speed

9. Size and Speed are not Skills
Courtland Sutton is big, strong, and fast. He wowed many analysts leading to the NFL Draft and more during training camp with his size and speed. Expectations of a rookie season like the ones we saw from D.J. Moore, Calvin Ridley, and (in limited time) Dante Pettis was not far behind.

However, Sutton's teammate, Chris Harris Jr tempered enthusiasm about Sutton, telling the media that the rookie needed to learn the route tree. Sutton earned 37 targets, 17 catches, 324 yards, and 2 touchdowns before the Broncos traded Demaryius Thomas to the Texans in Week 8. For the past 6 weeks, Sutton has earned 34 targets, 18 catches, 290 yards, and 1 touchdown.

Not much different despite becoming a primary starter. Why? He can't run enough of the route tree yet.

In contrast, Ridley runs the route tree well and displaced Mohamed Sanu was a primary perimeter option in Atlanta, earing 59 catches, 789 yards, and 9 touchdowns. D.J. Moore has tailed off lately but still has 51 catches, 707 yards, and 2 scores and an additional 13 touches for 172 rushing yards. Moore also runs a more complete route tree than Sutton.

Since Week 9 Dante Pettis has been more productive than Ridley, Moore, and Sutton as fantasy football's 23rd-ranked non-PPR receiver. He runs the best routes of the four.

Fantasy Lesson(s): Size is a dimension and speed is a measurement of athletic ability. Neither correlates directly to skill once you establish that the player has met the minimum requirements of dimensions and athletic ability.

Jonathan Baldwin was tall. He could not run routes or catch the ball consistently. Robert Meachem was tall and fast. Catching the ball for Meachem with the proper technique was an advanced physics equation. He had a couple of notable years in New Orleans but couldn't advance his game.

Justin Hunter is tall, fast, and leaps out of the stadium. He runs a limited number of routes and can't consistently catch passes that he should. In comparison, JuJu Smith Schuster, Dante Pettis, Robert Woods, Michael Thomas, Adam Thielen, T.Y. Hilton, Keenan Allen, and DeAndre Hopkins are either smaller, slower, and/or less explosive but possess the skills of route running and pass catching.

Athletic ability and physical dimensions are baselines to get into the NFL that, IF the player possesses skills, can add to the effectiveness of the player. Otherwise, don't overrate them.

---

I pay attention to route running, shuttle, and cone drills. These tell you if they can get open. The 40 time is only indicative of their effectiveness on a go route. If Dortch is praised for his route running, and has good shuttle and cone drill times, I think he'll do well in the NFL. Hands are a factor, too, but I get the sense there are levels of Ginn/stone, adequate, superlative. Just don't be the first one.

By the way, Dante Pettis was 2nd team AP All-American All-Purpose player last year. Dortch was awarded that spot this year. Pettis was a 2nd round pick.

I think he'll go in the third. Bad year for WRs, Good year for pass rushers. His injury history will push him down. I think Tom Brady would love to have him, if Edelman moves on.

I think he'll go in the third. Bad year for WRs, Good year for pass rushers. His injury history will push him down. I think Tom Brady would love to have him, if Edelman moves on.

I think he’ll go in the 3rd. Bad year for WR’s, good year for pass rushers

It's a good year for pass rushers and a bad year for receivers. I'm thinking third round for Dortch.

Back