• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dortch leaving for NFL

Got Dortch going mid 2nd - early 3rd

I think he will really impress at the combine but won’t break a 4.5 40.

Dortch didn't punch somebody in the nuts which pretty much derailed a great season before bolting to the pros.

Season wasn't derailed by the CP3 nutpunch. Season was derailed by the lack of game coaching by Prosser as we had a 14 point lead at the half against WVa with him giving away points by allowing Jamal Levy to shoot a 2 shot T in the first half because he did not know the rule [he could have let CP3, JGray or Taron shoot it with several of them even begging to shoot it]. Called a play for Big E late in the game during a time out and Chris Ellis tapped Prosser on the shoulder to tell him that Big E was not even in the game. Just a total cluster by Prosser in the 2nd half.

But no animosity at all for CP3 leaving after 2 years like he did--he did what was best for him and he obviously made the wise choice. Others have done the same thing, whether it was Rodney Rogers, Jeff Teague, Aminu, Johnson, Abbate, Bates & now Dortch. I just hope it always works out the best for them.

Season wasn't derailed by the CP3 nutpunch. Season was derailed by the lack of game coaching by Prosser as we had a 14 point lead at the half against WVa with him giving away points by allowing Jamal Levy to shoot a 2 shot T in the first half because he did not know the rule [he could have let CP3, JGray or Taron shoot it with several of them even begging to shoot it]. Called a play for Big E late in the game during a time out and Chris Ellis tapped Prosser on the shoulder to tell him that Big E was not even in the game. Just a total cluster by Prosser in the 2nd half.

But no animosity at all for CP3 leaving after 2 years like he did--he did what was best for him and he obviously made the wise choice. Others have done the same thing, whether it was Rodney Rogers, Jeff Teague, Aminu, Johnson, Abbate, Bates & now Dortch. I just hope it always works out the best for them.

I agree with this. I will just say that Prosser, albeit not the best game-day coach, but was by far may favorite coach personality. I loved his post game quotes and his work with getting the base and students energized.

It was asked earlier, but are there any NFL sites that have projections for mid-late round guys like Dortch?

Hate to see him leave, but I understand it. Nowadays you have to expect this kinda thing when a player shows glimpses of greatness.

Good luck and GO DEACS!

This will probably happen in the next few weeks. It will take that long to see who is going and who is staying. It's completely different than the NBA.

Does anyone know how close Dortch and/or Bates were to playing as freshman? I am in favor of burning redshirts for guys that can help immediately, because if they end up really good you’ve had them for three years. Or if they blow an acl in preseason, they’ve got a redshirt to use.

Once it was clear that Bates was going to go in the first 1-4 rounds, it was obvious that he received good advice (as I hoped) and made the right decision. When I posted that, it was completely unknown (and seemed unlikely to many) as no sites/evaluations had him going high.

Hopefully Greg is getting similar advice and projected draft slots from equally good sources.

I was about to offer a Brandin Cooks comparison but apparently he (Cooks) ran like a 4.33 at the combine. Still, not all that different in terms of size: 5'10, 183 vs. 5'9, 170.

Darren Sproles is listed at 5'6. I think one of the Rogers twins is 5'6.

I was about to offer a Brandin Cooks comparison but apparently he (Cooks) ran like a 4.33 at the combine. Still, not all that different in terms of size: 5'10, 183 vs. 5'9, 170.

Point is that are plenty of small WR in the NFL right now. If he can play the position, size isn’t going to hurt him.

Once it was clear that Bates was going to go in the first 1-4 rounds, it was obvious that he received good advice (as I hoped) and made the right decision. When I posted that, it was completely unknown (and seemed unlikely to many) as no sites/evaluations had him going high.

Hopefully Greg is getting similar advice and projected draft slots from equally good sources.

I am sure that Clawson and Dortch have access to better information than any of us/sites/evaluators do.

There’s a reason why that NBADraft.net link was an effective troll for a long time. People didn’t think he was going to leave.

There was plenty of speculation that we couldn’t recruit a good PG because nobody wanted to play behind CP as a freshman. The word definitely wasn’t out that he was planning to leave.

Yes, 92. Skip didn’t replace Taron either unless you count Harvey Hale.

Mario Chalmers says hello.

This.

Darren Sproles is listed at 5'6. I think one of the Rogers twins is 5'6.

Sproles is 20 pounds heavier than Dortch. Jacquizz Rogers is 26 pounds heavier. Both have had injury issues. However, to be fair, they are both runningbacks.

Not getting the weight argument. So, if Dortch was 16 pounds heavier, he would be as good as the best receiver in the NFL, Antonio Brown? OK, AB is slightly bigger than Dortch, and he is a dominant NFL receiver. Doesn't Brown's success at his size, support that there is a valuable role for Dortch in the NFL as well? Or is AB's size the cutoff? You can be great at AB's size, but any smaller and you can't play. That seems like a warped opinion.

FWIW, I would guess that Dortch will pack on a few more pounds of muscle over the next 6 months, now that he can focus 100% on training and getting ready for the League.

The same argument about Dortch's size kept most D-1 schools from offering Dortch out of HS even though he was the VA 6A (biggest high schools) POY. In retrospect, how did that eval based on size work out?

Just watch him. He moves like no one else on the field. He gets open. When the ball is thrown to him, he catches it. When he is in the open field, opponents can't tackle him. Dortch can play at any level.

Man, some of you are focusing way too much on his size. It's the same line of thinking that didn't get him scholarships from Bama, OSU, etc. Route running, quickness, and hands will largely determine where he goes in the draft.

Antonio Brown's draft eval.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/antonio-brown?id=497276
[h=3]Overview[/h] Brown is an extremely productive receiver from a relatively smaller level football program that could use another year in college to continue to develop physically. He is undersized and will initially struggle with the physical aspects of the game at the next level. He generally has lined up out of the slot and would have trouble with his release against some of the physical cornerbacks at the next level if he lines up on the line of scrimmage. He is explosive off the line and will show a good burst out of his speed cuts but needs work on his hard cuts and underneath routes. He has decent hands but it looks like the ball gets big on him at times and he traps too many passes in his body.
[h=3]Analysis[/h] [h=4]Strengths[/h] Brown has a really nice combination of quickness and speed. Has been extremely productive during his college career. Shows very impressive initial quickness when exploding off the line. Displays good agility as a route-runner and with the ball after the catch. [h=4]Weaknesses[/h] Lacks size. Not tall and does not possess enough bulk at this time. Needs to add strength to more effectively beat press coverage and battled for the ball in the air. Route running skills could use some refinement. Needs to become more consistent catching the ball in a crowd.

Not getting the weight argument. So, if Dortch was 16 pounds heavier, he would be as good as the best receiver in the NFL, Antonio Brown? OK, AB is slightly bigger than Dortch, and he is a dominant NFL receiver. Doesn't Brown's success at his size, support that there is a valuable role for Dortch in the NFL as well? Or is AB's size the cutoff? You can be great at AB's size, but any smaller and you can't play. That seems like a warped opinion.

FWIW, I would guess that Dortch will pack on a few more pounds of muscle over the next 6 months, now that he can focus 100% on training and getting ready for the League.

The same argument about Dortch's size kept most D-1 schools from offering Dortch out of HS even though he was the VA 6A (biggest high schools) POY. In retrospect, how did that eval based on size work out?

Just watch him. He moves like no one else on the field. He gets open. When the ball is thrown to him, he catches it. When he is in the open field, opponents can't tackle him. Dortch can play at any level.
Definitely. I have no doubt Greg will be a productive NFL WR at some point; he's so slippery and nearly impossible to square up in the open field, and there are just too many really productive, similarly smallish WRs who have carved out nice careers for themselves to make me think Greg will fail where they've succeeded.

Back