• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dortch leaving for NFL

Hope things work out for Greg. I’m concerned about his durability given the trouble he had staying on the field while he was here. That’s going to be a knock against him going through the draft process.

I wonder if losing him a year after Bates will cause Clawson to re-visit his strategy regarding redshirting. Obviously, the new rule allowing freshmen to play up to four games without burning the shirt has changed things a bit, but the rule as it existed meant we only got two seasons on the field from two of the better players we’ve had come through the program in recent years.

My guess is clawson had an idea that Greg was going to go pro and this led in some way to landing our two 4 star WR recruits. I get the sentiment of what if we had Bates and dortch next year, but players developing that fast and getting paid a lot will only continue to help recruiting. I'm really excited about next year
An interview with Groulx indicated that Clawson had a plan for both Dortch leaving and Dortch staying. Groulx was going to play outside next season with Dortch still here then transition inside when Dortch left, but with Dortch gone, it seems that Groulx will likely see a lot of his playing time at the slot position now.

Goodness gracious y’all did you not see this after his first year on the field.

LOL. At least a few of us have been talking about this for a year now.

Hate to see him go, but I don’t blame him. Gonna be fun watching him tear it up in the NFL. After getting dinged up, the guy just kept competing all season and never quit on us unlike another receiver did a few years back once the scouts started talking to him. He gave all he had to WF and now it’s time for the young man to go get paid.

Next man up (I’m looking at you, Mr. Groulx)

Hope things work out for Greg. I’m concerned about his durability given the trouble he had staying on the field while he was here. That’s going to be a knock against him going through the draft process.

I wonder if losing him a year after Bates will cause Clawson to re-visit his strategy regarding redshirting. Obviously, the new rule allowing freshmen to play up to four games without burning the shirt has changed things a bit, but the rule as it existed meant we only got two seasons on the field from two of the better players we’ve had come through the program in recent years.

The durability criticism is a pretty lazy one.

The durability criticism is a pretty lazy one.

Yeah. He had the game of a lifetime, suffered the flukiest of fluke injuries, kept playing, then missed the next five games and played every game the next season until holding out of the bowl game.

There is some lame shit on here. How many college AAs go undrafted? Dortch would be drafted as a return man alone, not to mention how he navigated routes against some of the best defenders in college football.

Wonder how Bates and Dortch and the new four game redshirt rule will affect the way Clawson plays stud freshmen going forward.

I think he will play any player who deserves to get on the field.

Yeah. He had the game of a lifetime, suffered the flukiest of fluke injuries, kept playing, then missed the next five games and played every game the next season until holding out of the bowl game.

He held out with a broken finger that hit on someone’s helmet in a game IIRC.

My guess is that neither should have seen the field in their true frosh seasons. There were some good safeties in Bates first year (Janvion comes to mind, Thomas Brown was on that squad as well) and Tabari Hines may have been the better player in front of a frosh Dortch, though maybe Dortch was worthy of a returner spot. I believe Claws probably played that about right.

Believe it or not, kids just get better with age, practice, and weight training.

Great teammate. He knew he was going to NFL, yet he spent the extra 3 weeks with his team.

Watch the Newman pick 6 again, and you will see Greg Dortch be the first guy off the bench to pick Newman up.

Wish the best of luck to Dortch on Sundays. He raised the bar.

He held out with a broken finger that hit on someone’s helmet in a game IIRC.

many players are doing this now with no injuries...dorth did not even practice since the duke game. could have been his finger or he could have known hes already leaving and wanted to wait until after the bowl game to not take the spotlight away from the team. this man had the game of his career while internally bleeding and almost dying...i dont think him being injury prone is as big a deal as some of these haters

many players are doing this now with no injuries...dorth did not even practice since the duke game. could have been his finger or he could have known hes already leaving and wanted to wait until after the bowl game to not take the spotlight away from the team. this man had the game of his career while internally bleeding and almost dying...i dont think him being injury prone is as big a deal as some of these haters

Agreed. Very thankful that he got medical attention before going to bed after the Louisville game. Otherwise...

Same with Jesse Bates but he has done well. Dortch will do just fine in the NFL. Way to go Greg & good luck!

It's been an absolute pleasure watching you in old gold and black the past two years, Greg. Thank you and good luck!

Greg Dortch is listed at 5'9

Tyreek Hill is 5'10
TY Hilton is 5'9
Randall Cobb is 5'10
Steve Smith is 5'9
Antonio Brown is 5'10
Travis Benjamin is 5'10
Julian Edelman is 5'10
Golden Tate is 5'10

Not saying Dortch will be any of these guys, or will have 5+ year career. But "NFL standards" usually are can you play/produce. Dortch certainly produced and could play at the college level. He's a value add at kick/punt returner for any team which could be the difference between a roster spot or not. I think he'll need to run at least a 4.40-4.45 electronically timed 40 to improve his draft stock, but good for him. If this is his dream, go get it.

Weights please? Also, all of those guys have gone thru combines where you really see how big they are. We shall see with Greg.

Agreed. Very thankful that he got medical attention before going to bed after the Louisville game. Otherwise...

That was a really good pick up by our medical staff.

He will always have a special place in the hearts and history of Wake Forest football. Dortch the Torch forever!

Back