• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Merry Christmas 2018

WFFaithful

Reaction score
Today the Virgin gives birth to the Transcendent One,
And the earth offers a cave to the Unapproachable One!
Angels with shepherds glorify Him!
The wise men journey with a star!
Since for our sake the Eternal God was born as a Little Child!

Kontakion of the Nativity of Christ

Today the Virgin gives birth to the Transcendent One,
And the earth offers a cave to the Unapproachable One!
Angels with shepherds glorify Him!
The wise men journey with a star!
Since for our sake the Eternal God was born as a Little Child!

Kontakion of the Nativity of Christ

Amen.

Merry Xmas, y’all! I’m thankful for the community that we have built on here.

Happy Honda Days and Merry Toyotathon everyone!

She will give birth to a son, and you will name Him Jesus, for He shall save His people from their sins.

Merry Christmas!

She will give birth to a son, and you will name Him Jesus, for He shall save His people from their sins.

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to one and all. May we continue to remember the true reason for celebrating Christmas.

Merry Christmas and merry whatever you celebrate. Here’s to a year of good health and happy times. :beer::beer:

He was born a pauper
To a pawn on a Christmas day
When the New York Times
Said God is dead and the war's begun
Alvin Tostig has a son today
And he shall be Levon
And he shall be a good man
And he shall be Levon
In tradition with the family plan
And he shall be Levon
And he shall be a good man
He shall be Levon

hm2okxk.jpg

The people who walked in darkness
have seen a great light;
those who lived in a land of deep darkness—
on them light has shined.
3 You have multiplied the nation,
you have increased its joy;
they rejoice before you
as with joy at the harvest,
as people exult when dividing plunder.
4 For the yoke of their burden,
and the bar across their shoulders,
the rod of their oppressor,
you have broken as on the day of Midian.
5 For all the boots of the tramping warriors
and all the garments rolled in blood
shall be burned as fuel for the fire.
6 For a child has been born for us,
a son given to us;
authority rests upon his shoulders;
and he is named
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
7 His authority shall grow continually,
and there shall be endless peace
for the throne of David and his kingdom.
He will establish and uphold it
with justice and with righteousness
from this time onward and forevermore.
The zeal of the Lord of hosts will do this.

It was a rough couple of years faith-wise for me, but it's nice to be back in the knowledge of God. May the joy of our risen Savior be with you all. Merry Christmas!

Stories of virgin births, deaths and resurrections are found in almost every mythology in the world. What makes the one about Jesus so special, or worthy of more belief?

Stories of virgin births, deaths and resurrections are found in almost every mythology in the world. What makes the one about Jesus so special, or worthy of more belief?

This itself is a common myth. Pick out a few alleged examples and I think you'll see the differences quite easily. Happy to discuss if there are any that stand out to you.

I spoke to a lot of people about this topic a couple of years ago, and it seemed everyone's path was different. Personally speaking, physicalism/materialism is easy enough to believe in a vacuum, but collapses under the weight of providing a coherent worldview. Determinism and fatalism are difficult stumbling blocks for me to get over, but the real breakdown comes at subjective morality. I believe that the Holocaust was objectively evil. I believe that it would always be evil, regardless of how many cultures indulge in Holocausts, or how many people approve of them, or how they might be written into the social contract. I think that most people believe that as well.

However, a physicalist cannot coherently hold that view. There is no good argument reconciling objective morality and physicalism, moral principles cannot be explained in terms of physics and chemistry, and moral truths are not objects with a physical existence. In the absence of a God or immaterial (yet existent) moral truths, things like genocide, slavery, and rape aren't actually evil, their morality is simply a matter of popular opinion. Again, I don't think many people think that way, but I think relatively few atheists/materialists/physicalists actually pursue their line of thinking to its logical conclusion and impact on their worldview.

Once the door is opened for the existence of immaterial entities (i.e. once we think of the existence of God as being possible), I think the various arguments for God's existence--particularly the cosmological and teleological--become very persuasive. And once you accept the mere possibility of a divine explanation for the life, death, and post-death impact of Jesus Christ, the Christian explanation is by far the most likely.

That's my $.02. Faith is a deeply personal thing, and different people view the same evidence in different ways.

Back