• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football Team and Season Outlook for 2019

Clawson's next internal recruiting win will be convincing Hartman to redshirt this season, keep developing and getting strong, and not transfer as he will have 2 years of good football remaining when Newman the GOAT graduates.

Assuming Newman holds the job through Spring and Fall, he just needs to not be hurt for more than 4 games to RS Hartman, correct? Seems likely.

Keep in mind that Hartman and Groulx and Carney are very close friends and former teammates in HS . Hartman and Groulx can finish each other's sentences so they would be quite the tandem. It would be pretty cool and potentially effective to have your 3 biggest offensive weapons to be longtime BFFs.

Good point. That could be motivation for Hartman to redshirt. Most likely he plays in more than four games though. We just have a tough time keeping QBs healthy all season.

Good point. That could be motivation for Hartman to redshirt. Most likely he plays in more than four games though. We just have a tough time keeping QBs healthy all season.

Newman is a pretty big dude. I hope that means he’s more durable. 4 games is a lot.

my gut is that Hartman needs a pretty awesome Spring/Summer to win the job and if he does so then he's in good shape to put up some numbers

Newman is a pretty big dude. I hope that means he’s more durable. 4 games is a lot.

Newman was injured in Fall practice. That’s how Hartman clearly won the job.

That's the main point that shouldn't be lost here. Gear up for a bunch of Clawson quotes in the spring and in fall camp about having been here for 5 years and never making it through a season with one QB.

I get that yall want Hartman to redshirt, and I understand it. But the QBs on the roster right meow are: Newman, Hartman, Bowers, Kern and Considine. Bowers took snaps against Towson, didn't attempt a throw and was passed by Hartman in spring ball after a week last year. Kern weighs 170, I'm assuming they want him to redshirt. Considine is 6-6 and doesn't fit the RPO mold, so to speak.

Basically: Newman and Hartman are the two best QBs on the roster by a wide margin, and Clawson isn't going to think about a redshirt unless it plays out a specific way.

Speaking of QB depth, i think if Hartman and Newman both get injured, clawson would quickly convert Hinton back to QB. While kerns may have long term potential, I don’t believe he will be ready to step in. This is one of the reasons I think it’s great to have Hinton back. While he will likely play WR almost exclusively, in the event of injury it could be possible to see him at QB.

The chances of Hartman redshirting next year are very small.

It could only happen if:

- Hartman is truly hurt and can't play;
- Newman has no injury concerns at any point in the season and plays really well.

Really don't see the thought of redshirting Hartman as even a major factor in Clawson's mind. He will go into every game, at least for the first half of the season, knowing that he has to have two quarterbacks ready to play that day. We will know early, as I fully expect Hartman to get snaps, if not against Utah State in game 1; then against Rice in game 2.

Also, WF is going to have high expectations for 2019, which means doing whatever it takes to win every game. Unless the season goes south early, he is not going to play the 2019 season with the idea that he needs to worry about who is going to QB WF in 2022. So, if Hartman has played against Utah State, Rice and Elon by September 21 (3 of the first 4; or even 2 of the first 4), he isn't going to hesitate to use Hartman against L'ville or State if/when Newman gets dinged for a series.

Have full confidence that WF will be able to recruit multiple able QBs by 2022.

Last edited:

In the games he played, Newman took some big hits and seemed to be rather unaffected by them. Also, when he runs he delivers some punishment. It's been a long time since WF had a QB his size.

Brutal?

None of those teams will be ranked to start 2019. Miami is breaking in a new coach (again) and are always mediocre at best. The Canes have been living off their success in the 80s and 90s; keep in mind, Miami and UVA are the only two teams in the Coastal never have won that weak division, and they have been in the ACC for 15 years.

Over the last 5 years, SC's record is 32-32. Granted UNC isn't playing Presby and Western Carolina to start the season, but don't see a SC, Miami, WF start to a season as murderer's row.

I know the "return of the U" was over in the blink of an eye, but I'm pretty sure Miami and the turnover chain made an appearance in the ACC Championship game in 2017 (though they would probably like to forget the result as well)

It's nice to worry about which one of last years starters will start next season, as opposed to '14 waiting for a recent HS graduate to arrive on campus to save us. IN CLAW WE TRUST.

I know the "return of the U" was over in the blink of an eye, but I'm pretty sure Miami and the turnover chain made an appearance in the ACC Championship game in 2017 (though they would probably like to forget the result as well)

Right, forgot the Canes one ACCCG appearance: the 38-3 Clemson beat down. Not sure that should count, but if you insist, Miami did slide into the ACCCG that one time.

Newman was injured in Fall practice. That’s how Hartman clearly won the job.

I know that. I’m just saying, if Newman is healthy for 75% of the season, then Hartman can still RS. The 4 game rule is helpful.

I know that. I’m just saying, if Newman is healthy for 75% of the season, then Hartman can still RS. The 4 game rule is helpful.

Even with Newman's injury history I would still put my money on him being healthy just based on size to take hits.

I would be surprised if Clawson burned Hartman's 4 games in mop up duty against Elon, Rice, and UNC.

The reason I think that Newman will likely start is the fact that technically, he can go until he is dinged up, then Hartman can come in and play for 2 or 3 games, and then you can go back to Newman and STILL preserve Hartman's redshirt. It just makes sense. I would personally like to see us play Bowers in mop up minutes and not waste Hartman's potential redshirt games on throwaway moments.

This is assuming that Newman keeps the job through Spring and Fall practice.

69% assuming a bowl. I know but I don’t think it will happen for reasons Conor and Pilch sum up. I’ll add that if Hinton becomes a pivotal player on offense, Clawson won’t switch him back over aside from a wildcat package.

After watching a lot of the bowl games, we are lucky to have two very capable QB's. A lot of the teams I saw would die for either one of our two.

Exactly. We've never had multiple QBs start over four games under Clawson. I believe last time that's happened was when we were flip-flopping between Cory Randolph and Ben Mauk in 2005.

Back