• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football Team and Season Outlook for 2019

We've had multiple QBs play in 4 games several times.

We've had multiple QBs play in 4 games several times.

Because there was no incentive to not play them in a blowout.

We should try to redshirt Hartman by way of not bringing him to end blowout games when we have guys like Bowers and Considine (who did come in to play against Clemson last year)

there's a tricky personality management component here too

Hartman could possibly be resistant to the idea of redshirting the year after he's the Game 1 starter

Because there was no incentive to not play them in a blowout.

We should try to redshirt Hartman by way of not bringing him to end blowout games when we have guys like Bowers and Considine (who did come in to play against Clemson last year)

I understand that sentiment, but if we are destroying UNC, (#Biffbatsignal) and we want to ensure Hartman has shaken the rust off from 11 months with no game activity just in case we need him at Boston College, it does make sense to get him some snaps.

Hartman could possibly be resistant to the idea of redshirting the year after he's the Game 1 starter

You don’t really have to declare it until the end of the season anyway. Just tell him to keep competing and be ready. If Newman looks good and stays healthy, why waste a year of eligibility taking knees? I’m just saying that I’m glad we have the flexibility.

Thats why I posted this:

"Clawson's next internal recruiting win will be convincing Hartman to redshirt this season, keep developing and getting strong, and not transfer as he will have 2 years of good football remaining when Newman the GOAT graduates."

He is going to have to make a sales pitch (i.e. recruiting him over again) to keep him here.

Thats why I posted this:

"Clawson's next internal recruiting win will be convincing Hartman to redshirt this season, keep developing and getting strong, and not transfer as he will have 2 years of good football remaining when Newman the GOAT graduates."

He is going to have to make a sales pitch (i.e. recruiting him over again) to keep him here.

and if he does that, he'll need to recruit Hartman again after his 4th year to not leave as an unrestricted free agent/grad transfer

I hear you, but if that is the case, I don't think he is going to be placated by a few meaningless handoffs at the end of a game. If he is resistant to redshirting, then he needs to play better to win the job.

I think Sam would redshirt if it's whats called for. I know him and his family enough to at least have that opinion. His dad would be - IMO - "you finish what you start, son" all the way. But Sam is pretty cocky. I once heard him point to a hot girl and say "She's college quarterback level right there". Before he step foot on campus as a frosh. But I think he would do what Clawson asked him to do, especially if it's not costing him actual eligibility. And his father is an orthopedic surgeon who knows his shit, and I think Mark is aware that Sam could use some more size and body maturity to him. My guess is that Mark would push him to do it i.e. redshirt.

I think Sam would redshirt if it's whats called for. I know him and his family enough to at least have that opinion. His dad would be - IMO - "you finish what you start, son" all the way. But Sam is pretty cocky. I once heard him point to a hot girl and say "She's college quarterback level right there". Before he step foot on campus as a frosh. But I think he would do what Clawson asked him to do, especially if it's not costing him actual eligibility. And his father is an orthopedic surgeon who knows his shit, and I think Mark is aware that Sam could use some more size and body maturity to him. My guess is that Mark would push him to do it i.e. redshirt.

But was she actually college quarterback level hot?

So if Newman gets dinged in a close game, what do you do? Put in Hinton for a series? Play Bowers? No. You play Hartman and try to win the game.

So if Newman gets dinged in a close game, what do you do? Put in Hinton for a series? Play Bowers? No. You play Hartman and try to win the game.

That is where the new rule comes into play. Hartman can play in up to four games and redshirt. Play him in one game early, then hope you don't need him any at all. Let him play in the last two reg season and bowl game.

I have zero doubt Clawson will play to win this year. Whoever, whenever will play. Redshirts be damned.

In the era of QB transfers and every QB thinks he is going in the first round, I guess I see reason for all the angst on here.

But assuming for a second Hartman does not have any intention to transfer or go pro early, wouldn’t he actually prefer to only play four games and give himself two full years of being the guy? Therefore no mop up duty. Play him early to make sure he is ready but after that only for injury.

Now, a more fun off season hypothetical, what would you do if Hartman played 2 games early, then replaced out for season Newman last 2 games. Do you play Hartman in the bowl game, or play Kern/Hinton and preserve his 2022 eligibility?

I’d ask Hartman what he wanted to do. I’m guessing he would want to play for his teammates.

Most QB's in major conferences have injuries at one time or another in a season. Gotta figure Newman and Hartman are both gonna play.

No way do we red shirt Hartman.

Back