• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football Team and Season Outlook for 2019

If Newman is the starter and gets hurt, then Hartman will obviously play. But I doubt Hartman will get mop up duty in a game if preserving his redshirt is still on the table.

For instance, get rid of the Newman mop up duty against FSU and ND and this year he would could have redshirted this past year. And I generally believe that Newman would be more durable than Hartman.

Last edited:
It’s presumptuous to think there will be much mop up duty except against Elon. Clawson typically seems content to keep the starter in and run the ball with backups at other positions.

It’s presumptuous to think there will be much mop up duty except against Elon. Clawson typically seems content to keep the starter in and run the ball with backups at other positions.
IF Newman starts game 1 then Newman plays rest of season until he cannot play. For first 9 to 10 games Hartman only plays if Newman cannot play. Hartman will not be used for ANY mop up duty until near the 4th to the last game of the season (which theoretically could be tricky to correctly perceive due to a potential ACCC appearance). If Newman plays every game it’s possible Hartman is completely preserved for entire season. Hence, the competition this Fall will be intense. I hope Clawson gets it right. Most likely they both play this year due to the starter getting dinged up.

Any chance Arkeem Byrd moves back to RB? Seems like we have brought on a ton of DB's since he got hurt.

IF Newman starts game 1 then Newman plays rest of season until he cannot play. For first 9 to 10 games Hartman only plays if Newman cannot play. Hartman will not be used for ANY mop up duty until near the 4th to the last game of the season (which theoretically could be tricky to correctly perceive due to a potential ACCC appearance). If Newman plays every game it’s possible Hartman is completely preserved for entire season. Hence, the competition this Fall will be intense. I hope Clawson gets it right. Most likely they both play this year due to the starter getting dinged up.

Clemson is third to last game in the regular season. Wake will know by then whether the Clemson game is for a spot in the ACCCG.

Clawson has always had an eye for the future. This is a man who tore the program down in year 1 and 2 for future success. Granted the program is in better shape now, but yes this redshirting Hartman scenario has crossed his mind. Having an experienced Hartman in 2022 would be huge and Clawson is the type of guy to think years ahead while still wanting to win now.

If I put on my Clawson whisperer hat, it tells me that Clawson goes into a season with a certain strategy and then gets uber myopic and goes week to week. I think ideally, he'd like to redshirt Hartman so we might not see him in the first two games, but that is assuming Newman gets out of Fall practice healthy. He didn't last year. That's assuming Bowers takes a step up or our frosh Kern is good enough to take some snaps early in a few games while keeping his redshirt.

And then it is week to week. If Newman stays healthy enough great. If not, we have an offense that should allow us to recruit really good QBs. We got close last year to pulling in a 4star ... no need to freak out on 2022 right now

Any chance Arkeem Byrd moves back to RB? Seems like we have brought on a ton of DB's since he got hurt.

He was so dynamic as a RB.

My understanding is that Byrd wanted to play DB and the coaches granted his wish. Otherwise, Byrd would easily be the #2 back next year.

When is Spring practice so we can have something positive to talk about?

Makes sense. We’ve been brining in a lot of DBs the past two years.

when is spring game, and is the baseball team in town that weekend? Would be nice if that worked out for once.

when is spring game, and is the baseball team in town that weekend? Would be nice if that worked out for once.

If it falls on the usual Saturday in April, we'll have NCSU in town for baseball.

If it falls on the usual Saturday in April, we'll have NCSU in town for baseball.

This could be the trifecta with State............wins in football, basketball and baseball.
sounds like a great weekend

If I put on my Clawson whisperer hat, it tells me that Clawson goes into a season with a certain strategy and then gets uber myopic and goes week to week. I think ideally, he'd like to redshirt Hartman so we might not see him in the first two games, but that is assuming Newman gets out of Fall practice healthy. He didn't last year. That's assuming Bowers takes a step up or our frosh Kern is good enough to take some snaps early in a few games while keeping his redshirt.

And then it is week to week. If Newman stays healthy enough great. If not, we have an offense that should allow us to recruit really good QBs. We got close last year to pulling in a 4star ... no need to freak out on 2022 right now

Is it now set in stone that Hinton will only be a WR ?

Gawd forbid if Newman goes down, I'd still prefer Hinton to be the QB with Hartman getting the red-shirt year.

Hartman has to go from 185 to at least 205lbs....

Gawd forbid if Newman goes down, I'd still prefer Hinton to be the QB with Hartman getting the red-shirt year.

I don't know. In Clawson's sixth year and after three straight bowl wins it is time to do whatever we can to win right now. I really think our chances to win are better with Newman and and Hartman over Hinson. We can argue whether that is correct or not, but if Clawson thinks it is, then I believe he will (and should) start Hartman and not worry about redshirting him. The chance for 1 or 2 more wins now is worth more than saving a QB for 2022.

At this point we should be starting our best QB every game.

Yes.

Spring game is tentatively scheduled for April 6, per Birmingham Bowl notes. (Wake baseball is home vs. Va. Tech that weekend)

Hinton will be our #1 slot with a spring and summer focusing exclusively on that position. We don't need or want him to have any of his focus on QB. If Newman is hurt for more than 4 games, we want Hartman in there, not a stop gap measure and Hartman at QB with Hinton receiving gives us the best chance to win.

Back