• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football Team and Season Outlook for 2019

I don't know. In Clawson's sixth year and after three straight bowl wins it is time to do whatever we can to win right now. I really think our chances to win are better with Newman and and Hartman over Hinson. We can argue whether that is correct or not, but if Clawson thinks it is, then I believe he will (and should) start Hartman and not worry about redshirting him. The chance for 1 or 2 more wins now is worth more than saving a QB for 2022.

At this point we should be starting our best QB every game.

If we start Newman game 1, we will be.

If we start Newman game 1, we will be.

No question. I've been on the Newman train for a long time. Just glad he got healthy and showed what he can do. Just saying where we are as a program, we should burn shirts when we have to if it means winning a game or two more.

Spring game is tentatively scheduled for April 6, per Birmingham Bowl notes. (Wake baseball is home vs. Va. Tech that weekend)

That would be great for us out of towners.

Spring game is set for April 6th - per Clawson on a former football players call.

Only other info I hadn't heard before was significant the impact Dortch going pro had on Hinton staying. They are really excited about the in-coming recruiting class, but Hinton coming back may be their biggest win of the off season.

Spring game is set for April 6th - per Clawson on a former football players call.

Only other info I hadn't heard before was significant the impact Dortch going pro had on Hinton staying. They are really excited about the in-coming recruiting class, but Hinton coming back may be their biggest win of the off season.

Thanks for the info! With the talent returning, definitely a circle your calendar event.

BTW, the Diamond Deacs host VT that weekend; so, it will be great sports weekend!

Just checked hotels and they are very expensive with little availability. The High Point furniture market starts this day.

Last edited:
Didn't realize Maggio will be a senior next year. Time flies. Didn't know he was a HS QB. Time for some fake punts.

Good job. My only quarrel is that I do expect Nolan to really establish himself as the slot or co-slot with Hinton very quickly.

Really looking forward to seeing him in the spring, and based on the one Hough game I saw, he's got some college-ready aspects. Can't forget that Roberson has been a top-5 performer in the spring and fall camps of 2018, though.

Worth remembering, too, that those designs for having two slots on the field we were talking about a year ago for Dortch and Hines shouldn't be abandoned.

Maybe we'll finally start teaching WRs multiple positions and moving them around more. Always one of my few gripes with the coaching staff.

ETA: Also, given our lack of proven RBs (1), is there any chance Byrd moves back there, especially in the event of injuries?

Last edited:
Maybe we'll finally start teaching WRs multiple positions and moving them around more. Always one of my few gripes with the coaching staff.

ETA: Also, given our lack of proven RBs (1), is there any chance Byrd moves back there, especially in the event of injuries?

Think it's unlikely Byrd moves back to RB, mainly because he asked the coaching staff to move to DB because he likes defense and has never been able to stay healthy as a RB. I know that's a little hypocritical because he was injured playing DB last spring, but that really was a freak, non-contact injury. He deserves a chance to prove himself at DB for longer than half of one spring practice.

Also, know the stats show only one proven RB, but don't think the coaching staff or team sees it that way. Beal-Smith looked fantastic last spring and was developmentally further ahead as a R-Fr. than where Byrd was in 2017. His lack of opportunities last season had more to do with Carney staying healthy all season, Colburn being healthy until the last 2 weeks and both of those guys playing well.

Delaney might be the wild card at RB. He could possibly take the number 2 spot. I thought he did really well in his limited action last year, especially since everybody in the stadium knew Wake was running on those plays.

Nice job, Conor. This team has a lot coming back and both sides of the ball and special teams too. I too am as excited as I can remember for the fall.

Delaney might be the wild card at RB. He could possibly take the number 2 spot. I thought he did really well in his limited action last year, especially since everybody in the stadium knew Wake was running on those plays.

I liked Delaney too in the limited action he got

A little worried about WF at DT and safety, but got to admit that it's hard to remember a WF team with no obvious area of weakness heading into a season.

A little worried about WF at DT and safety, but got to admit that it's hard to remember a WF team with no obvious area of weakness heading into a season.

Think this came across, but to be clear: I'd be more worried about safety than DT right now. Masterson could move back there and add depth, but Cam Glenn is going to be really hard to replace given how he played in the second half of the season.

I'm anxious to see Miles Fox. In a strange little twist for this board, Manning has probably had more success with grad transfers than Clawson (the Austin Arians affect). Fox's measurables and production seem to indicate he'll be valuable right away, and they need him to be.

Back