• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football Team and Season Outlook for 2019

Schedule is slightly easier as WF drops #3 ND and at Tulane for the last place in the Coastal -- UNC and Utah State (both working in new coaches; even so, Utah State has a star in QB Jordan Love), but neither game will be easy. While WF drops the 1st place team in the Coastal (Pitt) for VT, VT should be improved next year as the Hokies also suffered a ton of injuries and were very young in 2018.

Assuming improvement from the returning players and better health, 7 or 8 regular season wins is doable. Can't wait for the season to start!

Utah State looked tough on the schedule after last year's solid season and their dominating bowl win. After looking at the depth chart though, they lose their entire starting offensive line to graduation. That should make Love consider something other than staying. He also loses two of the 3 starting WR's. The defense loses 5 starters and they are transitioning a coaching staff so may be unsettled in general along with traveling to Wake.

UNC I am concerned about with 19 of their starters returning. I watched a few of their games and they have a solid offense with some real play makers and great return men. They have what look like very good hires at the OC and DC positions. Their defense has been awful and it will be interesting to see how Bateman translates from disciplined hard nosed Army kids to not so disciplined UNC kids. In our favor is that they open up with South Carolina in Charlotte and based upon all of their out of conference games on the schedule, will have an ACC opponent in their second game before they play us. Clemson is on their schedule and it would be oh so nice to have them play Clemson before they play us. Duke and UNC will likely be at the end of the season so the alternatives are they go to Pitt, Va Tech, or Ga. Tech or play Miami or UVa at home. They will have a much tougher go to start than us with Utah State and Rice.

8-4 next year should be the expectation provided we don't have an insane amount of injuries like we did this year.

What is the word on AJ Dillon's NFL plans? I assume he is going as has to be a top 5 pick if he leaves now as he is a beast. If so I think that game turns to an expected W for the Deacs.

Yep, if he was draft eligible then I would flip that to a W. I think With Dillon back they'll be pretty strong again next season.

I have the game against the Tar Holes at BB@T circled on my calendar in September. That should be fun with their savior Mack back in the fold. Really hope Hinton comes back as I feel like he could have a great year in the slot and returning kicks.

This UNC game is going to be huge (attendance wise) for WFU... i know UNC games are alway packed, but even people, like myself, who don't make it to town for many games are circling the date for this one! I hope we absolutely trash the Tar Heels!

I think Hartman transfers before the end of Spring practice, if Newman is healthy. Just don't see him with the ability to wait his turn, so to speak. Hope i'm wrong because of the way we utilize the QBs, but that's my hunch.

If he transfers, he will definitely have to sit out next year. I can’t imagine his odds of starting somewhere else are better than his odds of starting somewhere he’s never started before.

Hartman would have to miss next year regardless, where he could play 4 games next year and still redshirt. Plus is there a power 5 job he could automatically walk into next year? Redshirting would probably be the best thing for his long-term development. He could use some more strength

What yall are saying makes more sense to me, as well. I keep forgetting about having to sit-out a year versus now being able to get some game time, and preserve eligibility.

Most starting QBs have to sit 2 or 3 years before playing. This shouldn’t be a big deal. Hartman should stay and compete every day for the starting job. How many games has a backup started under Clawson due to injury or performance? Seems like at least 2 or 3 a year on average.

I’m not as optimistic as many of you guys for next season for several reasons. We are losing 2 WR starters in Dortch and Bachman. Losing three OL starters (most of whom were 4 year starters), our starting running Back, our two starting safeties (where we were already extremely thin as far as playable options go), and our two starting defensive tackles (of whom neither were very affective at putting pressure on the opposing QB). That is a ton of talent we are losing. Granted, we will be better at LB and hopefully marginally better with CB coverage, but I don’t see us being more talented than this year. Our offense will hinge on how the OL fares, so I would say we will see a slight decline there. Despite the losses at safety and DT, I’ll say we will be slightly better on defense (though it’s hard to be much worse than we were this year). We do have a good recruiting class this year, but outside of Groulx, I don’t see many making a huge impact their first year. I believe we will end up in the 6-6 to 7-5 range next year, though would obviously be thrilled with 8-4 or 9-3.

On the QB convo side of things. I don’t see Hartman going anywhere. He’s young and has a lot of talent and probably more accurate arm than Newman. Will be an interesting spring to watch those guys go head to head.

My guess is that Hartman neither redshirts nor transfers. We shall see.

QB injuries are given in this offense, and Newman has already had his share when he wasn't getting most of the snaps. Clawson is going to want two QBs at the ready throughout the season.

WF is recruiting at a high enough level that Clawson has every reason to expect that he will continue to recruit QBs that can move the ball and score in this offense.

There should be a spiritrd QB competition starting now in the weight room. Both players need to get better. I do not thonk Hartman is the kind of player to give up on himself as quickly as many/most of you are to hand Newman the crown. This is good for us. It will play put on the field and make everyone better. Long way to go until fall 2019. Best QB plays and both have room to grow.

My guess is that Hartman neither redshirts nor transfers. We shall see.

QB injuries are given in this offense, and Newman has already had his share when he wasn't getting most of the snaps. Clawson is going to want two QBs at the ready throughout the season.

WF is recruiting at a high enough level that Clawson has every reason to expect that he will continue to recruit QBs that can move the ball and score in this offense.

This! Need at least two QBs with this offense

I think you go into the season expecting Hartman to be needed in over four games while still attempting to redshirt him. That means having Hartman listed as the backup on the two-deep, but having someone else (Bowers, Kern, Considine) play in a blowout or possibly even if it’s a single play situation.

Also I predict Hinton will lead the team in receiving if he returns.

Even with our good recruiting year, the most valuable incoming guy is probably the grad transfer DT.

I’m not as optimistic as many of you guys for next season for several reasons. We are losing 2 WR starters in Dortch and Bachman. Losing three OL starters (most of whom were 4 year starters), our starting running Back, our two starting safeties (where we were already extremely thin as far as playable options go), and our two starting defensive tackles (of whom neither were very affective at putting pressure on the opposing QB). That is a ton of talent we are losing. Granted, we will be better at LB and hopefully marginally better with CB coverage, but I don’t see us being more talented than this year. Our offense will hinge on how the OL fares, so I would say we will see a slight decline there. Despite the losses at safety and DT, I’ll say we will be slightly better on defense (though it’s hard to be much worse than we were this year). We do have a good recruiting class this year, but outside of Groulx, I don’t see many making a huge impact their first year. I believe we will end up in the 6-6 to 7-5 range next year, though would obviously be thrilled with 8-4 or 9-3.

Yes, though I don't think there is a drop off per se in talent from Colburn/Harney split reps to Harney most reps. We should be able to get to the QB better on D next year, so that will be a big plus. I think Mike Allen takes another step forward at DE to go along with Boogey. And if any of the DTs in the pipeline can come forward, it is possible that the front 7 is much more athletic. Nasir Greer and Traveon Redd probably man the safety positions.

On offense, Herron is a big question mark. If he's healthy, things look promising. Surratt and some combination of other receivers (Scotty or Waydale or Jaquarie Roberson or AT Perry maybe?) gets the job done with an offense that is centered around running the ball.

If Wake can be top 50 in Defense, yes, just a measly top 50, they are going to win some games.

Actual attendance at games should increase noticeably.
Somehow, with lots of struggles, we have a winning record. Many surprised at how hard it is to get there.
We have the typical problems on the OL but they get better.
Defense plays streaky all year long. We have Stars and disappointments from some better players.
DC tinkers us to defensive success.
Team chemistry is strong early on.
Clawson has to be cajoled off the field a few too many times (THE clock keeps ticking in his mind.)
We’re more of a 7-5 squad but struggle to get to 6-6 in regular season with Carolina, Duke and State playing their best games against us. We beat two of the three anyway.
Win more at home.
Carney and Bassey are Captains.
“Starters” on offense: Newman, Carney, Hinton, Washington, Roberson; Beal-Smith improves noticeably.
More positive recognition from the competition about the Deacs than in past years. And a lot of revenge lurking underneath. Deacs will be under pressure all the time as always.

Back