• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football Team and Season Outlook for 2019

Am worried about WF's interior DL and safeties next year, but not the OL.

Generally, I would be more concerned about losing Haynes (LG), Anderson (C) and Osterhage (RG) on the OL, but Clawson has done a very solid job at recruiting and building depth on the OL over the past few years, and while WF does graduate 3 starters, WF has multiple returning players that have already taken key snaps on the OL.

WF returns starting tackles Jake Benzinger and Nathan Gilliam; this will be the 5th year for each in the program and a ton of starts. Zach Tom played every game last year at center as a reserve and will only get better. Je'vionte Nash also played major snaps at tackle as did Loic Nya at guard (this man has a lot of talent; didn't play football until his sophomore year in HS, but his OL play is starting to catch up to his physical ability), also at guard, WF was able to redshirt Sean Maginn this past year after he played as a true frosh.

On top of those returnees who have significant game experience, WF will get full seasons out of guard/center Michael Jurgens who the staff loves, who played as a true frosh, but did not burn his shirt. That is seven OL returnees that have game experience, and does not count Justin Herron or frosh redshirt Mike Edwards (6-6 370) who some thought was WF best OL recruit in a long time. Not saying WF's three departing starters, particularly Phil Haynes, won't be missed, just that Clawson is reaching the point where WF reloads on the OL rather than rebuilds.

Last edited:
Also I predict Hinton will lead the team in receiving if he returns.

I think that's a big 'if'.
Doesn't feel like he'll be back.

(Personally, I'd love it if he were back, but by the number of recruits we signed, it doesn't appear there's a spot left for him.

Pilch, I look forward to eating crow about my reservations for the OL! Golly I hope Clawson is ONLY reloading.

Looking forward to a great QB competition. Don’t think either will transfer given how often we run the QB, both will get PT because of injuries. They are also both in a great system for their skill sets. Looking forward to seeing what Groulx and McCollum can do too

8-4 assuming another rb steps up. I'm not worried about QB, wr, or ol. I didn't see a single person reference Herron coming back who will be a captain.

On defense I think we will improve
Another name I haven't seen mentioned is Coby Davis his return will be huge. I think we will be much much better on d.

On the road at Utah St. Game one scares me. Claws gets his FSU win this year. We'll beat cuse without Dungey. Split between BC and State. Oh WTH 9-3

8-4 assuming another rb steps up. I'm not worried about QB, wr, or ol. I didn't see a single person reference Herron coming back who will be a captain.

On defense I think we will improve
Another name I haven't seen mentioned is Coby Davis his return will be huge. I think we will be much much better on d.

On the road at Utah St. Game one scares me. Claws gets his FSU win this year. We'll beat cuse without Dungey. Split between BC and State. Oh WTH 9-3

Utah State is a home game.

I tend to be more negative with my football predictions, but I’d say 7-5 from just looking at the schedule and thinking about the roster.

FWIW, I had us down for 5-7 this year, so I was glad to be wrong.

I think you let Newman and Hartman battle it out in the spring... My assumption is that Newman wins the job. Hartman in the backup role with no real expectation of a redshirt, but if he doesn’t get in enough games, you use it. A nice bonus if he doesn’t have to use a year of eligibility, but not something you plan for. You play who you need to in order to have the best shot at winning each game.

If Newman remains the starter, which I expect he will, then Hartman could, I would think, take his redshirt year in either of the next two years, depending on which year he plays four games or less.

Most of the projections fall in the range of 7-5 to 9-3.
Either way, it's a winning record and our debate late next season will be how good our bowl game will be (The fourth in a row).

My, how our performance and expectations have risen in the last few years.
From 3-9 to 9-3 would be huge.

Go Deacs.

If Newman is the starter, I think it’s a very real possibility Hartman transfers and vice versa to a lesser extent because of Newman’s remaining eligibility.

If Newman is the starter, I think it’s a very real possibility Hartman transfers and vice versa to a lesser extent because of Newman’s remaining eligibility.

I see a lot of people saying this and I’m still not sure I see it. With a RS year he still ends up being the starter for 3 years (including this past one) assuming he wins the job after Newman graduates. A 3 year starter in college is pretty damn good. Of course there is no guarantee he wins the job back and we have some decent QB talent coming in.

7-5, that road stretch is rough

Utah St - Win
@Rice - Win
UNC - Win
Elon - Win
@BC - Win
@Clemson - Loss
@Cuse - Loss
@Virginia Tech - Loss
Duke - Win
FSU - Loss
UL - Win
NCSU - Loss

For me, the Offense starts at C and the Deacs have an outstanding young prospect in Zach Tom.Still 19 years old? Anyway..it’s about bloodlines:

Cameron Tom is Zach’s 23 year old brother who is backup at both Guards and Center spot for the New Orleans Saints. Retired star Saints tackle, Zach Strief, says “Tom is the next Saints OL Star”. He is being groomed to take over at Center. Cam’s body and game development is what is projected for Zach. — a note on Cam (undrafted) but at the Hattiesburg Pro Day ran a 4.86 40 with .08 adjust. That would qualify as the 4th fastest time for a Guard if it had been at the NFL Combine.

What makes the Tom brothers special is what they mentally bring to the game..they both possess abundant athletic skills to go along with high IQ on and off the field. Tacticians.

..and for Zach, he could not have had a better mentor than Ryan Anderson to apprentice under his first 2 years at WF..and 2019 should be the beginning of the Tom-led-era OL @ WF

State loses a ton. 11ish starters including Finley, Harmon, Gallaspy, Myers (likely IMO), 3 OL, and their two best defensive players in Pratt and Roseboro. We should be able to beat them in Winston.

I would be very disappointed to finish 3-5 in the ACC next year.

QB: Newman, Hartman
RB: Carney, Beal-Smith, McKinney/Flowers
WR1: Washington, Perry
WR2: Surratt, Claude/Jones
WR3: Robeson, Groulx
TE: Freudenthal, Chapman
LT: Herron, Edwards
LG: Nash, Nya
C: Tom, Watson?
RG: Gilliam, Maginn/Gordon/Jurgens
RT: Benzinger, Rappleyea

LE: Basham, Allen
DT: Williams, Fox/Bothroyd
DT: Kamara, Bergan
RE: Walker, Johns/McCollum
LB: Strnad, Simpson/Monroe/Burley
LB: Taylor, Smenda
Rov: Williams, Redd/Masterson
CB1: Henderson, Taylor/Dicks/Byrd
FS: Greer, Davis/Woulard
SS: Redd/Masterson, Hardimon
CB2: Bassey, Keith/Alston/Gray

K: Sciba, Brown
P: Maggio, Mora
KOS: Brown/Mora

7-5, that road stretch is rough

Utah St - Win
@Rice - Win
UNC - Win
Elon - Win
@BC - Win
@Clemson - Loss
@Cuse - Loss
@Virginia Tech - Loss
Duke - Win
FSU - Loss
UL - Win
NCSU - Loss

Fortunately that's just a list of our games, not the order of them. ACC won't release 2019 scheds for several more weeks.

Am worried about WF's interior DL and safeties next year, but not the OL.

Generally, I would be more concerned about losing Haynes (LG), Anderson (C) and Osterhage (RG) on the OL, but Clawson has done a very solid job at recruiting and building depth on the OL over the past few years, and while WF does graduate 3 starters, WF has multiple returning players that have already taken key snaps on the OL.

WF returns starting tackles Jake Benzinger and Nathan Gilliam; this will be the 5th year for each in the program and a ton of starts. Zach Tom played every game last year at center as a reserve and will only get better. Je'vionte Nash also played major snaps at tackle as did Loic Nya at guard (this man has a lot of talent; didn't play football until his sophomore year in HS, but his OL play is starting to catch up to his physical ability), also at guard, WF was able to redshirt Sean Maginn this past year after he played as a true frosh.

On top of those returnees who have significant game experience, WF will get full seasons out of guard/center Michael Jurgens who the staff loves, who played as a true frosh, but did not burn his shirt. That is seven OL returnees that have game experience, and does not count Justin Herron or frosh redshirt Mike Edwards (6-6 370) who some thought was WF best OL recruit in a long time. Not saying WF's three departing starters, particularly Phil Haynes, won't be missed, just that Clawson is reaching the point where WF reloads on the OL rather than rebuilds.

Agree with this. As someone mentioned, getting Herron back (healthy) should be huge by allowing Benzinger to move back to RT and Gilliam inside to guard. Suspect those were big reasons for the regression we saw in the line this year.

I think that's a big 'if'.
Doesn't feel like he'll be back.

(Personally, I'd love it if he were back, but by the number of recruits we signed, it doesn't appear there's a spot left for him.

While I agree it's a big "if," sounds like schollies shouldn't be the issue based on the fact that we are still going after HS recruits, and I believe someone cited Clawson as saying he'd ideally get one more on each side of the ball.

Young guys are amazing healers..we’ll see..but the potential availability of these guys will make a big difference..

CB Arkeem Byrd (6’1-195)JR

NB/S Coby Davis (5’ll.5-190)So

LB Chase Monroe (6’2-235)So

LB Jeff Burley (6’2.5 - 240)So

LT Justin Herron (6’5-299)Sr

Back