• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football Team and Season Outlook for 2019

QB: Newman, Hartman
RB: Carney, Beal-Smith, McKinney/Flowers
WR1: Washington, Perry
WR2: Surratt, Claude/Jones
WR3: Robeson, Groulx
TE: Freudenthal, Chapman
LT: Herron, Edwards
LG: Nash, Nya
C: Tom, Watson?
RG: Gilliam, Maginn/Gordon/Jurgens
RT: Benzinger, Rappleyea

LE: Basham, Allen
DT: Williams, Fox/Bothroyd
DT: Kamara, Bergan
RE: Walker, Johns/McCollum
LB: Strnad, Simpson/Monroe/Burley
LB: Taylor, Smenda
Rov: Williams, Redd/Masterson
CB1: Henderson, Taylor/Dicks/Byrd
FS: Greer, Davis/Woulard
SS: Redd/Masterson, Hardimon
CB2: Bassey, Keith/Alston/Gray

K: Sciba, Brown
P: Maggio, Mora
KOS: Brown/Mora

QB spot is Newman's to lose as you don't go away from a QB that won the last 3 of 4 games including 2 road Ws over very good NCSU and Duke squads and then win a bowl game in impressive style. Unless Newman just comes out overweight or misfiring missiles all over the place I think he is a shoe in honestly and as others have said I think Hartman should focus on strength and weight gain as he seemed scared and rattled often and too quick to run and easy to go down. Newman was a stud in the pocket and not afraid of taking hits.

Colburn is a loss but knowing you have a stud in Carney to go to and an opportunity for Beal or another speed back to get introduced to equation is very exciting and expect no drop off.

Like others I think we will be surprised how the OL doesn't miss a beat with Toms @ C, Herron coming back along with Benzinger and Gilliam coming back and the other developed back ups along with monster Mike Edwards it should continue to be a strength.

WR will be most interesting as do you prefer 2 big WRs without the blazing speed with your 3rd being the playmaker or 2 burners and a big WR??? If the latter I could see Scotty and Sage splitting more time with Groulx in one spot and whomever can step up as another playmaker whether Greene or another young gun to play the 3rd spot. Whether we can have a WR or two step up as a playmaker and really put pressure on a D will be the biggest key to our O next year in my humble opinion.

Really excited about D and the momentum and teamwork we saw from them as they really improved against the run down the stretch and made stops regularly which was very promising. I also like the guys we have to step up and think we will have the DT talent to clog up the middle and think we could have some upside to our ability to get to the passer with a bigger/more experienced Boogie back along with Manny, Allen and others. As others have said LB should be very good along with DBs given talent returning along with some of the injured players.

Most importantly of all we saw evidence that our D's style and system was working really for the first time since Elko left as we shut out some really good Os down the stretch against NCSU, Duke and even Memphis when considering they had a KO return and pick 6. 20 points given up to them is really phenomenal when you see their full season resume. I think we saw a D step up in confidence down the stretch and I really believe that will carry over into next year and Hemphill and staff will get this D playing really well with a full offseason to prepare and owning this D.

As well you saw the O start to pick up steam with Newman and expect that trend to continue if we have a couple of WRs really step up which I believe we will see happen because if current guys can't step up as playmakers we have 2 guys coming in who no doubt can.

Going 9-3 with a winning ACC record and even a Tiger scare in Groves.

QB spot is Newman's to lose as you don't go away from a QB that won the last 3 of 4 games including 2 road Ws over very good NCSU and Duke squads and then win a bowl game in impressive style. Unless Newman just comes out overweight or misfiring missiles all over the place I think he is a shoe in honestly and as others have said I think Hartman should focus on strength and weight gain as he seemed scared and rattled often and too quick to run and easy to go down. Newman was a stud in the pocket and not afraid of taking hits.

Colburn is a loss but knowing you have a stud in Carney to go to and an opportunity for Beal or another speed back to get introduced to equation is very exciting and expect no drop off.

Like others I think we will be surprised how the OL doesn't miss a beat with Toms @ C, Herron coming back along with Benzinger and Gilliam coming back and the other developed back ups along with monster Mike Edwards it should continue to be a strength.

WR will be most interesting as do you prefer 2 big WRs without the blazing speed with your 3rd being the playmaker or 2 burners and a big WR??? If the latter I could see Scotty and Sage splitting more time with Groulx in one spot and whomever can step up as another playmaker whether Greene or another young gun to play the 3rd spot. Whether we can have a WR or two step up as a playmaker and really put pressure on a D will be the biggest key to our O next year in my humble opinion.

Really excited about D and the momentum and teamwork we saw from them as they really improved against the run down the stretch and made stops regularly which was very promising. I also like the guys we have to step up and think we will have the DT talent to clog up the middle and think we could have some upside to our ability to get to the passer with a bigger/more experienced Boogie back along with Manny, Allen and others. As others have said LB should be very good along with DBs given talent returning along with some of the injured players.

Most importantly of all we saw evidence that our D's style and system was working really for the first time since Elko left as we shut out some really good Os down the stretch against NCSU, Duke and even Memphis when considering they had a KO return and pick 6. 20 points given up to them is really phenomenal when you see their full season resume. I think we saw a D step up in confidence down the stretch and I really believe that will carry over into next year and Hemphill and staff will get this D playing really well with a full offseason to prepare and owning this D.

As well you saw the O start to pick up steam with Newman and expect that trend to continue if we have a couple of WRs really step up which I believe we will see happen because if current guys can't step up as playmakers we have 2 guys coming in who no doubt can.

Going 9-3 with a winning ACC record and even a Tiger scare in Groves.

Sorry Clemson is in Death Valley, so think it will be close but backing off the scare.

Benzinger returns to RT and better for the challenge at LT in 2018. He will be ACC 1-3 team candidate as will Herron. The T positions will be improved in 2019.

I look for Benzinger to add some strength in his best off-season thus far..I want to see him w/ about 10-15 pounds added to his frame which can easily handle it. This guy’s best football is in front of him.

J.B. / RT (6’7-308) RS SR — All-Conference Nominee.

Prediction Shamar McCollum starts in 2019

Don't think so.

I'm very high on him, but there is some solid talent ahead of him and I think a year of S&C would really benefit him.
Now, for 2020, he could be an exciting addition to our defense and a much needed threat to opposing QBs.

If Hinton stays and improves as a WR, he could be a pretty fun weapon

It would be a great story. He is as dynamic a player as I have seen at Wake. I liked the glimpse in the bowl game. He ran precise routes and that’s impressive in such a short time. Clearly he is a threat to House-It at any time.

I’m for his return.

I would expect WR to be fluid. Bachman wasn't much of a burner, and I think Surratt/Washington on the outsides is pretty similar to our base setup this year. But, you could rotate in Claude or one of the freshmen for speed throughout the game. For the freshmen, I would expect Clawson to start each at a single position, and make them master it before adding versatility at multiple positions. I think that will mean Groulx in the slot, Greene outside.

Don't think so.

I'm very high on him, but there is some solid talent ahead of him and I think a year of S&C would really benefit him.
Now, for 2020, he could be an exciting addition to our defense and a much needed threat to opposing QBs.

Agreed, especially since we have an experienced drop end in Manny Walker. McCollum will have a lot to do just to feature in 4+ games.

Don't think so.

I hear what you are saying and agree as a DE but he is going to Start at Rover imo. I watched his coverage in the Shrine Game and he was all up on Khafre Brown and Nolan Groulx. He affected nearly every play I watched. Wake Forest has not had an impact-energy Defensive player quite like this guy. Very high football IQ. He is in on every play. He will supplant Jacquez Williams as the starter at Rover and he will list at 6’4-218. The guy has a body fat content like a Boss Bailey or Manny Lawson..cat quick.

Really..we don’t have anybody like this guy.

I hear what you are saying and agree as a DE but he is going to Start at Rover imo. I watched his coverage in the Shrine Game and he was all up on Khafre Brown and Nolan Groulx. He affected nearly every play I watched. Wake Forest has not had an impact-energy Defensive player quite like this guy. Very high football IQ. He is in on every play. He will supplant Jacquez Williams as the starter at Rover and he will list at 6’4-218. The guy has a body fat content like a Boss Bailey or Manny Lawson..cat quick.

Really..we don’t have anybody like this guy.

I wasn't even thinking about Rover.
Still not sure that he would start, but if he's that good and that disruptive, I could see him being in for special situations.
We'll have to file this and bring it up again during spring practice or early September.

Young guys are amazing healers..we’ll see..but the potential availability of these guys will make a big difference..

CB Arkeem Byrd (6’1-195)JR

NB/S Coby Davis (5’ll.5-190)So

LB Chase Monroe (6’2-235)So

LB Jeff Burley (6’2.5 - 240)So

LT Justin Herron (6’5-299)Sr

It was Byrd's decision to move to DB but he was so electric as a RB.

Still not sure that he would start, but if he's that good and that disruptive, I could see him being in for special situations.
We'll have to file this and bring it up again during spring practice or early September.

I guess I don’t see Shamar’s future as a DE. His body type to my eye is at OLB/ROV

Jaylen Hudson is a kid I see at DE. Hulking frame. As a body type - Bradley Chubb.

Moving him to Rover would be a surprising change. Clawson and Cohen have stated he'll start at drop end, which is where Calhoun started and where he has Walker and Jacory Johns ahead of him.

If he moved back a level on defense, I would expect him at LB. Rovers tend to be tweeners between LB and Safety.

Well,to quote Grobe,”I don’t want guys who look great coming off the bus but can’t play dead in a cowboy movie”

The guy makes plays. He is a football player and somebody is going to get moved out of the way so he can get on the field and make plays.

Boogie Basham (6’4.5-285)JR
Dion Bergan (6’1.5-295)So
Sulaiman Kamara (6’2-300)JR
Manny Walker(6’4-260)JR

Strnad (6’3-237)SR
Smenda (6’2-245)Soph
McCollum (6’4-218) FR

Curious if Hinton (or anyone else in the rather full WR corps) gets a look at RB?

where is that OGB post full of quotes of lectro's over-the-top praise for dudes that never saw the field?

I honestly cannot imagine Hinton staying. But I want him to. If he has aspirations of playing pro ball, he likely should stay and concentrate on the slot position. Return kicks as well.

Back