• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football Team and Season Outlook for 2019

Utah State’s stud RB is leaving early so that helps us Game 1.

It would be a great story. He is as dynamic a player as I have seen at Wake. I liked the glimpse in the bowl game. He ran precise routes and that’s impressive in such a short time. Clearly he is a threat to House-It at any time.

I’m for his return.

Agreed

It would be a great story. He is as dynamic a player as I have seen at Wake. I liked the glimpse in the bowl game. He ran precise routes and that’s impressive in such a short time. Clearly he is a threat to House-It at any time.

I’m for his return.

It would be good if Hinton was one of Wake's "grad transfers" for 2019.

Utah State’s stud RB is leaving early so that helps us Game 1.

Interesting.
That will make 2 games in a row where stud RBs have not played against us due to leaving early.
Henderson at Memphis being the other. (If Henderson played, we may not have won)

If Hinton comes back we need to use him in the orbit like John Stone or as a RB. He needs touches but I don’t see him developing as a viable slot WR in one offseason.

If Hinton comes back we need to use him in the orbit like John Stone or as a RB. He needs touches but I don’t see him developing as a viable slot WR in one offseason.

He could have been Kenny Moore 2.0 for us. Guy just makes plays. I just don’t think Clawson trusts him.

According to Clawson, Dortch and Hinton were the two most explosive players on this year's team. If he has any hope of an NFL career he stays at Wake as an "athlete". As a QB, he knows the duties of every offensive skill position and would be a viable candidate to take over all of Dortch's responsibilities at slot and returner. He has shown he is productive as a RB. He would be ideal to pass as an end or RB on trick plays. Would even provide depth behind Newman or Hartman and how to positively contribute if not starting. Hinton has been a loyal soldier for Clawson for four years. That counts to DC. He stays and DC gives him a opportunity to shine. I don't believe Dave will let his most explosive returning senior leave to compete for a QB position at a lower level program. Good things come to those who wait.

Last edited:
According to Clawson, Dortch and Hinton were the two most explosive players on this year's team. If he has any hope of an NFL career he stays at Wake as an "athlete". As a QB, he knows the duties of every offensive skill position and would be a viable candidate to take over all of Dortch's responsibilities at slot and returner. He has shown he is productive as a RB. He would be ideal to pass as an end or RB on trick plays. Would even provide depth behind Newman or Hartman and how to positively contribute if not starting. Hinton has been a loyal soldier for Clawson for four years. That counts to DC. He stays and DC gives him a opportunity to shine. I don't believe Dave will let his most explosive returning senior leave to compete for a QB position at a lower level program. Good things come to those who wait.

Agreed. Just depends if Hinton wants to be "the man" at QB somewhere. We should use Hinton like Kentucky used Randall Cobb, another dynamic former QB turned slot WR.

Agreed. Just depends if Hinton wants to be "the man" at QB somewhere. We should use Hinton like Kentucky used Randall Cobb, another dynamic former QB turned slot WR.

Slot receiver, wildcat QB, and any other way possible to get him the ball 6-8 times a game. He could be a dynamic weapon.

Am worried about WF's interior DL and safeties next year, but not the OL.

Generally, I would be more concerned about losing Haynes (LG), Anderson (C) and Osterhage (RG) on the OL, but Clawson has done a very solid job at recruiting and building depth on the OL over the past few years, and while WF does graduate 3 starters, WF has multiple returning players that have already taken key snaps on the OL.

WF returns starting tackles Jake Benzinger and Nathan Gilliam; this will be the 5th year for each in the program and a ton of starts. Zach Tom played every game last year at center as a reserve and will only get better. Je'vionte Nash also played major snaps at tackle as did Loic Nya at guard (this man has a lot of talent; didn't play football until his sophomore year in HS, but his OL play is starting to catch up to his physical ability), also at guard, WF was able to redshirt Sean Maginn this past year after he played as a true frosh.

On top of those returnees who have significant game experience, WF will get full seasons out of guard/center Michael Jurgens who the staff loves, who played as a true frosh, but did not burn his shirt. That is seven OL returnees that have game experience, and does not count Justin Herron or frosh redshirt Mike Edwards (6-6 370) who some thought was WF best OL recruit in a long time. Not saying WF's three departing starters, particularly Phil Haynes, won't be missed, just that Clawson is reaching the point where WF reloads on the OL rather than rebuilds.

I like this take. My question is what kind of bowl could a 9-3 Wake team get?

Put the orbit/jet sweep type plays back in the playbook with him. Also adds the possibility of a throw back to the QB. I think Riley and Tanner had a few good catches off that play. Hinton's history as a QB might make DBs reluctant to come off their coverage and go to run support against a Hinton sweep. He would be a threat to stop and throw.

I'm interested to see what RB emerges behind Carney next year. The obvious choice would say Beal-Smith.

In his minimal carries vs. good competition it seems the holes didn't open up for him. That could be to coincidence or that he just does not see the holes the way Carney/Colburn does.

McKinney got some praise and Delaney got some praise as the season progressed.

Hot take: with our recent prowess, including RBs churning out a bunch of yards, we sign a 4 star RB in the next two years (for the first time ever).

I'm interested to see what RB emerges behind Carney next year. The obvious choice would say Beal-Smith.

In his minimal carries vs. good competition it seems the holes didn't open up for him. That could be to coincidence or that he just does not see the holes the way Carney/Colburn does.

If Beal-Smith doesn't seize the role next year, Flowers has the look of a great change-of-pace back.

Hot take: with our recent prowess, including RBs churning out a bunch of yards, we sign a 4 star RB in the next two years (for the first time ever).

Adams wasn't a 4* ? that dude was a boss at Cary.

Also interested in this. I wasn't super impressed with Beal-Smith in the limited action he got. He's still young and plenty of time to develop. I was impressed with Delaney when he got touches (admittedly only in garbage time against either second stringers or weak competition). McKinney turned some heads in camp it sounds like and Flowers coming in is supposed to be legit. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Back