• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football Team and Season Outlook for 2019

Nice job, Conor. This team has a lot coming back and both sides of the ball and special teams too. I too am as excited as I can remember for the fall.

Yeah, sounds like time to talk some smack to the fellas down east and up north. Our guys might have the capacity to handle the extra pressure similarly to the 2007 team.

Good job. My only quarrel is that I do expect Nolan to really establish himself as the slot or co-slot with Hinton very quickly.

If he's ready, I see Groulx moving more into Bachman's role than co-slot or beating out Hinton. Hinton is a dynamic player, who won't come off the field much. Washington/Surrat are similar style players, while we could use a little quicker outside WR who runs good routes. I remember hearing Groulx talk about moving outside if Dortch stayed and moving to slot if he left. I think Hinton staying will be akin to Dortch staying in Clawson's plans. That would maximize weapons on the field.

Yeah, sounds like time to talk some smack to the fellas down east and up north. Our guys might have the capacity to handle the extra pressure similarly to the 2007 team.

I'm not sure that's the best example. We were on our way to 1-3 until Phonz jolted us to life vs Maryland, though granted no Riles vs. Nebraska

Ugh. If Riley doesn't get injured, we might beat BC, and definitely should have beaten Nebraska (even with Hodges). And then the UVA loss was inexcusable (sat on ball and settled for ~45 yard FG which Swank uncharacteristically missed). 10-2 at worst that year.

Plus, we got screwed on the interception in the end zone that was not an interception but was overturned on the replay.

2007 was maybe the most talented team we've ever had, but at least the saving grace that year was we had to go to both Clemson and BC, who both had good years.

And the Belk was a good landing spot. A good year, could've been better but not one I would lose sleep over. 2008 and 2011 OTOH...

Last edited:
If he's ready, I see Groulx moving more into Bachman's role than co-slot or beating out Hinton. Hinton is a dynamic player, who won't come off the field much. Washington/Surrat are similar style players, while we could use a little quicker outside WR who runs good routes. I remember hearing Groulx talk about moving outside if Dortch stayed and moving to slot if he left. I think Hinton staying will be akin to Dortch staying in Clawson's plans. That would maximize weapons on the field.

I agree with this. Groulx and Bachman are around the same size. Groulx has nice route running and speed. Wouldn’t be shocked if he started right away. He will definitely be in the mix.

A little worried about WF at DT and safety, but got to admit that it's hard to remember a WF team with no obvious area of weakness heading into a season.

Wait until after summer camp I'm sure we'll be hobbled somewhere as usual

I'm not sure that's the best example. We were on our way to 1-3 until Phonz jolted us to life vs Maryland, though granted no Riles vs. Nebraska
Bingo. The 2007 team faced up to the pressure of having a clear target on their backs which this team must do to be successful. The Tobacco Road 3 will come in with a vengeance regardless of level of talent.

Last edited:
Spring game is set for April 6th - per Clawson on a former football players call. .

Yes, received email today stating that the spring football game will start at 3pm. Great that after the spring football game, fans can take a short walk to the baseball park to see the Diamond Deacs take on Virginia Tech.

Think this came across, but to be clear: I'd be more worried about safety than DT right now. Masterson could move back there and add depth, but Cam Glenn is going to be really hard to replace given how he played in the second half of the season.

Have you seen indications that Redd and Masterson will stay at linebacker / Rover? I figured Masterson at LB was due to injuries last season, not his long term position. I would expect Masterson and Redd to both get the shot at a starting safety role, since they've both played the position and Davis is coming back from a big injury.

Have you seen indications that Redd and Masterson will stay at linebacker / Rover? I figured Masterson at LB was due to injuries last season, not his long term position. I would expect Masterson and Redd to both get the shot at a starting safety role, since they've both played the position and Davis is coming back from a big injury.

This will be a lot easier to answer Monday, after meeting with Clawson, and certainly easier Tuesday after the first spring practice.

Right now, though, no indications that that's the case, just feel like that's where those guys had success last season. My thoughts on Davis are based on him being in a more-prominent position when the season started last year, but obviously if he's not healthy, that makes safety an even thinner position.

Given Davis' injury, he likely will be much better in August than in March. Same with Justin Herron and others.

ETA:

Conor noted he was about to start running in the pool in mid Feb. Not likely he will be ready to do much in spring practice.

Last edited:

Assuming all of our 'walking wounded' are now healthy at LB, we should be in pretty good shape there. More concerned about the DBs and would think Masterson, Redd and Davis would all play there.

I thought Masterson looked slow as safety not only in coverage but thought a lot of his missed tackles were from being late and not being ale square up.Thought he did much better at linebacker/rover. But I am no coach and I drink during games.

Given Davis' injury, he likely will be much better in August than in March. Same with Justin Herron and others.

Indeed. When I asked who wouldn't be available in the spring a couple of weeks ago, though, Herron was the only one who has already been ruled out.

It will be nice to have quality depth at linebacker again.

Exactly. In no particular order: Strnad, Taylor, Smenda, Monroe, Burley, Simpson, then you've got J. Williams at rover, walk-ons Jack Rielly and Jake Galli and incoming freshmen Jaylen Hudson and Chase Jones. Not to mention JaCorey Johns, who I think the plan is to be able to play drop-end and LB.

So many LBs running around, they might not know what to do with them all.

Last edited:
Monroe looks like a bad mo fo. I guess Mays is not coming back which is too bad as I always liked his potential.

Monroe looks like a bad mo fo. I guess Mays is not coming back which is too bad as I always liked his potential.

Correct. Mays and Hinton were the r-Jr. scholarship players who went through Senior Day. Hinton coming back. Mays did look good early in camp, then had an undisclosed injury.

It's going to be really interesting to see Monroe and Burley this spring.

Back