• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

all time bowl winning %'s

It seemed like a miracle. As a student in the years immediately preceding the Tangerine Bowl season, I saw ten wins in four years, bookended by 1-10 seasons. A bowl seemed like an impossibility.

We had some pretty miserable teams back in the day. Also, Dr. Gene generally several road games each season against big boys for revenue purposes. Remember the "I-85 - Wake Forest 0" road games against Penn State, Maryland, and Oklahoma in the mid-70s.

In '79, we sure surprised Georgia shutting them out, 31-0, as 7 point dogs. The line was probably a tip off on the ensuing result. The bowl blowout was the last game for LSU Coach Charlie "Mac" McLendon after an excellent 18-season run. Apparently, the Bengal Tigers were a bit more fired up for Charlie's last game than Tech was for Paul Johnson the other day.

It seemed like a miracle. As a student in the years immediately preceding the Tangerine Bowl season, I saw ten wins in four years, bookended by 1-10 seasons. A bowl seemed like an impossibility.

I was there at that time too. Very painful.
But 1979 was a very exciting year.

We had some pretty miserable teams back in the day. Also, Dr. Gene generally several road games each season against big boys for revenue purposes. Remember the "I-85 - Wake Forest 0" road games against Penn State, Maryland, and Oklahoma in the mid-70s.

In '79, we sure surprised Georgia shutting them out, 31-0, as 7 point dogs. The line was probably a tip off on the ensuing result. The bowl blowout was the last game for LSU Coach Charlie "Mac" McLendon after an excellent 18-season run. Apparently, the Bengal Tigers were a bit more fired up for Charlie's last game than Tech was for Paul Johnson the other day.
We beat ga 22-21 and were far more than 7 pt dogs

We beat UGA 22-21, not 31-0.
It was a huge upset between the hedges.

At the end of the game, James Parker was down on his hands and knees on the field. Someone went to check on him to see if he was alright. He was........he was pulling up grass from the field and stuffing it in his socks to keep as a souvenir.

I was there at that time too. Very painful.
But 1979 was a very exciting year.

I remember hearing about the GA and Auburn wins either on the radio or scores posted on TV. It was unbelievable, dreamlike. John Mackovic had everyone amazed that a season like that was actually happening. The coolest part of the Tangerine bowl was how the whole squad trotted onto the field pre-game, in military formation, and in unison. Have never seen it in football before or since.

Lost to LSU, who were picked very high in preseason but had a rash of injuries to some of there top players, and unfortunately for us they were all healthy for the bowl game.

I was a student at the time and went to the game and it was a sound defeat. The offense, which had been wildly successful during the season and had some excellent linemen, could not move the ball. I recall hearing after the game that Jay Venuto, who was all-world during the regular season, actually had a shoulder injury that prevented him from throwing much past 10 or 15 yards, and that LSU quickly figured out that he couldn't throw the ball downfield so they packed the box. Am I recalling that correctly (I may not be--it has been a long time and memories fade or are just wrong--I "remember" lots of things that just didn't happen)?

Back then there weren't many bowl games.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/1970-bowls.html

The only conference winners guaranteed a spot in a bowl game were the Big 10 and PAC 8 (10) for the Rose Bowl. We had gotten blown out by both ranked teams we played and got spanked in our last game.

An interesting side point is I think we were the only team to have a lead on National Champ Nebraska that year.

The SWC champ went to the Cotton Bowl and the SEC champ went to the Sugar Bowl at the time.

I was a student at the time and went to the game and it was a sound defeat. The offense, which had been wildly successful during the season and had some excellent linemen, could not move the ball. I recall hearing after the game that Jay Venuto, who was all-world during the regular season, actually had a shoulder injury that prevented him from throwing much past 10 or 15 yards, and that LSU quickly figured out that he couldn't throw the ball downfield so they packed the box. Am I recalling that correctly (I may not be--it has been a long time and memories fade or are just wrong--I "remember" lots of things that just didn't happen)?

I think you are remembering correctly about Venuto's shoulder injury. I seem to remember the same thing.

Thanks Dekin. My memory is not so good these days so having someone verify a recollection from 40 years ago helps.

Venuto got hurt and our team kind of fell apart at the end of the year we got spanked by Clemson and South Carolina

Out of conference games that year were App St, ECU, @ Georgia, @Va Tech, Auburn, @ South Carolina and LSU in the bowl game. Anybody know why we only played 5 ACC games that season?

Out of conference games that year were App St, ECU, @ Georgia, @Va Tech, Auburn, @ South Carolina and LSU in the bowl game. Anybody know why we only played 5 ACC games that season?

look back at your list of OOC opponents again and think Bobby Cremins, the student

look back at your list of OOC opponents again and think Bobby Cremins, the student

South Carolina was out of the ACC then. Looking at the standing, us and UVa were the only ones to have played 5 conference games, everybody else had 6, so I guess our game vs. UVa was canceled that year for some reason.

South Carolina was out of the ACC then. Looking at the standing, us and UVa were the only ones to have played 5 conference games, everybody else had 6, so I guess our game vs. UVa was canceled that year for some reason.

sorry - thought you were referencing the ACC championship year

there was some sort of dumb arrangement where both UVA and WF played VT in lieu of playing each other - WF did not play UVA in '63, '65, '68, '71, '79 but played VT each of those years

sorry - thought you were referencing the ACC championship year

there was some sort of dumb arrangement where both UVA and WF played VT in lieu of playing each other - WF did not play UVA in '63, '65, '68, '71, '79 but played VT each of those years

Wow, that is strange. That would never fly today.

Back