• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

all time bowl winning %'s

for teams with 10 or more appearances, we have the 4th best winning percentage in all of college football. i felt like this info was so awesome it deserved its own thread.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_bowl_records

Pretty good stuff. We went from what the 40’s to 1979 between bowls, forms the 40’s to 1992 between bowl wins and now we’re 8-2 in bowls since 1992. Young fans have no idea how hard it was season after season after with no bowls. BTW, yes I’m fully aware how much easier it is to make a bowl now than it used to be, but still.

Pretty good stuff. We went from what the 40’s to 1979 between bowls, forms the 40’s to 1992 between bowl wins and now we’re 8-2 in bowls since 1992. Young fans have no idea how hard it was season after season after with no bowls. BTW, yes I’m fully aware how much easier it is to make a bowl now than it used to be, but still.

The first Wake team to win an ACC championship did not get a bowl bid. The ACC got that little respect then.

The first Wake team to win an ACC championship did not get a bowl bid. The ACC got that little respect then.
I think unc went to the peach bowl that year with an 8-3 record but we were the conference champs and no bowl. That team bookended the season with losses to Nebraska and Houston who was in there glory time. Swap those teams for more meager OOC teams and easily could have been 8-3 also.

The upside of being the least desirable choice among bowl sponsors.

Back then there weren't many bowl games.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/1970-bowls.html

The only conference winners guaranteed a spot in a bowl game were the Big 10 and PAC 8 (10) for the Rose Bowl. We had gotten blown out by both ranked teams we played and got spanked in our last game.

An interesting side point is I think we were the only team to have a lead on National Champ Nebraska that year.

Last edited:
We may not always get to bowl games, but when we do...

We win those suckas.

Damn, Utah doesn't mess around when it gets to bowl games.

In 1970 the ACC was not considered a top level football conference. Big 10, Big 8, SEC, PAC and the Southwest Conference were the top of the food chain. There is a reason the ACC focused expansion on improving the football profile. Clemson's national championship in the early 80's and FSU membership began the improvement of the ACC football profile. The ACC was considered a basketball conference.

Arnie got us into the '79 Tangerine Bowl by agreeing to purchase any shortfall on 10,000 tixs Wake could not sell. The bowl-starved Deacon fans bought all 10,000 and then some so Arnie was off the hook.

Arnie got us into the '79 Tangerine Bowl by agreeing to purchase any shortfall on 10,000 tixs Wake could not sell. The bowl-starved Deacon fans bought all 10,000 and then some so Arnie was off the hook.

Did not know that. We were beaten soundly; but we made a bowl game!

What I learned today by looking at that chart....Texas tech has gone to more bowl games than Notre Dame.

Did not know that. We were beaten soundly; but we made a bowl game!

Lost to LSU, who were picked very high in preseason but had a rash of injuries to some of there top players, and unfortunately for us they were all healthy for the bowl game.

LSU was extra motivated to save face for the SEC after we beat Georgia and Auburn in the regular season.

Appalachian State - 100%

Don’t see that changing as long as they keep playing MAC and CUSA teams. Maybe Drinkwitz knocks off South Carolina and UNC next year and doesn’t slip up in conference play and they make a NY6 game. That would be awesome, they were inches in Happy Valley and injuries and ejections in Statesboro away from accomplishing that this year...

Back