• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Anybody care about Wake b-ball anymore?

"The rank-and-file fans have been wise to the dumpster fire consuming their once proud program, but the problem is, any and all protestations are falling on deaf ears. Best anyone can tell, the man most responsible for the plight of all Wake athletics, Ron Wellman, simply no longer cares.

On the other hand, Ron Wellman, by not addressing the current contract status of Danny Manning, is showing that he doesn’t care what you as the rank-and-file fan thinks.
"

Nailed it. Anyone who attends games or continues to enable this shit, really doesn't understand just how bad things have become.

The problem now is that he's showing potential coaches that he just doesn't care too. Who wants to work for a guy that just doesn't care?

I kind of understood the long leash, especially after what happened to Dino. RW needed to show he wasn't going to ditch a coach. But this has now turned into a debacle that needs to be corrected now. Doing nothing just makes it worse. No one in the country would question him firing Manning. There is zero downside to it (other than whatever they have to pay out).

Wake Forest's Decade of Futility has not only caused me to not care about WFU hoops but as a result, I don't really care about ACC basketball either. I used to be able to name the starting five for every ACC team. This morning I realized that I couldn't tell you the name of ONE player at any ACC school.

Come on. You can't name one player? So if I mentioned Zion, you'd have no idea what I'm talking about? Then you must never watch anything at all on all ESPN . . . .

Mr. Wellman, (Hatch also copied)

I am a lifelong Wake Forest fan and a "double deacon" (-redacted-). I'm a past season ticket holder for basketball, despite living out of town and spent years living and dying with every win and loss.

The last nine years have broken my spirit. I had hopes for Manning early on but over the last couple of seasons it has become abundantly clear that he is not the answer. As long as he is our coach the team will perform far below its potential. This HAS to be as apparent to you as it is to everyone in the fanbase that is still paying attention.

It is clear the student body is no longer invested in what was once our flagship program, and that is the real shame. I can't really blame them. Athletics is one of the strongest forces binding alumni to their school. With the decade of irrelevance our basketball program is experiencing, we have lost an opportunity to bind 2.5 generations of students to the school. We will be paying the price for that failure for the next 50 years in lack of alumni support and giving.

Decisive action needs to be taken right now. Every listless performance that goes by with Danny Manning still pacing our sidelines looking bored is further evidence that you and the powers-that-be at Wake Forest no longer care. Please prove us wrong and relieve him of his duties.

I am of no importance as a donor or supporter but I won't be attending any more events at Wake or donating any of my hard-earned money until something is done.

Respectfully,
Scooter84

While well written, the flaw in this letter is these four words: "my hard-earned money".

Two thoughts:
(1) Has anyone ever written a letter complaining about spending the money they inherited, or won in the lottery, or earned while slacking off on the job?
(2) Unfortunately it's going to take letters written by people who "earned" their money on Wall Street or in fact come from old money to make a difference.

It was linked earlier but I am re-linking the latest Dan Collins Take on Whatever - the title (inspired by this thread?) and the column are must reads: "WAKE BASKETBALL: WHO CARES?"

https://mytakeonwhatever.com/2019/01/05/wake-basketball-who-cares/

Come on. You can't name one player? So if I mentioned Zion, you'd have no idea what I'm talking about? Then you must never watch anything at all on all ESPN . . . .

I only watch the NFL and college football on ESPN.

The only reason I know who Zion is now is because I saw some highlights on the local news this morning. Until then, I didn't know.

Go away Dukie. We don't need any dry humping or floor slapping here. Enjoy your win Tuesday night and move on. Let us die in peace.

I quit giving a shit during the Buzz years. The one winning season and First Four appearance made me raise an eyebrow and that’s about it. After K State kicked our ass, it was back to the usual. I at least followed recruiting still, but our pattern seems to be throw all our eggs into a basket that we know Duke or another blue blood will predictably take, then settle for stealing a recruit from Marshall. We suck and the road back will be long and won’t start until Wellman is gone.

I admit to watching about 45 minutes of the game on Saturday. I should have gone outside and thrown the football with my son or gotten the car washed.

Wake Forest's Decade of Futility has not only caused me to not care about WFU hoops but as a result, I don't really care about ACC basketball either. I used to be able to name the starting five for every ACC team. This morning I realized that I couldn't tell you the name of ONE player at any ACC school.
Samesies!

I remember posts from the likes of CharlotteDeac, DCDeac, Wrangor, and RJ about how this is the first time Manning has length on the wings, instead of "F-minus defenders" like Keyshawn Woods. Let's see what he can do!!!

#211 defense this year is the worst-ranked defense under Manning. Defense rankings by year under Manning:

LOL

This is good. G.U.D, good.

Go away Dukie. We don't need any dry humping or floor slapping here. Enjoy your win Tuesday night and move on. Let us die in peace.

Yeah, I'm a Dukie. Although sadly, I've been hoping for a resurrection of BB at WFU. I say sadly, b/c I was in Joel 10+ years ago when the Deacs came back from a 17-point deficit against Duke to win a game in one of the most electrifying atmospheres I've experienced outside Cameron. You guys used to be a reliable foil against the Satan in Chapel Hill -- a small, private school routinely kicking Tar Hole butt. Then came the unknowable equivocation of the Dino firing, the hiring of the Buzzing Automaton, the "Oh, My Heavens, Yes!" manic fake optimism of your AD, the inevitable crow-eating dismissal of the robot, and now the homecoming of Automaton II.

Please. Please. Even State just made a good hire. Even State. Before everyone forgets what Wake BB used to be, hire somebody with a plan. Somebody with charisma. Turn this shit around. Make me circle the game on my calendar again. Get the "Big 4" back to four.

Gotta love when opposing fans refuse to mock you. It would be like making fun of the handicapped.

I look forward to this game every year. I've gone into just about every Wake-Duke game thinking we have a punchers chance. No longer is that the case.

I went down the YouTube rabbit hole last night and watched a bunch of classic games at the Joel. Anyone who tries to say we "never" had an electric atmosphere at the Joel is totally full of shit. Place was a top-15 game day atmosphere for a couple of decades.

I look forward to this game every year. I've gone into just about every Wake-Duke game thinking we have a punchers chance. No longer is that the case.

I went down the YouTube rabbit hole last night and watched a bunch of classic games at the Joel. Anyone who tries to say we "never" had an electric atmosphere at the Joel is totally full of shit. Place was a top-15 game day atmosphere for a couple of decades.

After 10 years of near-catastrophic damage to our basketball program, I'm not sure when the Joel will ever have another electric atmosphere. It could take years if we started winning every game tomorrow!

Back