• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Anybody care about Wake b-ball anymore?

If my phone didn't alert me to game results, I honestly would've had no idea we even played a game over the weekend.

I miss the days of epic 50-page meltdown threads when we would lose to Clemson. Now losses to Houston Baptist and Garder-Webb barely even register.

Hatch still plays basketball very regularly, I'm on an email weekly with him that plays at a local church. When the church is closed he always gets the Wake gym to play at. I don't play in his group because its 35 and over only, but I see his name on there all the time.

Knowell is just throwing shit at the wall.

True. Just trying to come up with some kind of narrative that would make sense. It just seems that simple incompetence is insufficient to completely destroy a basketball program built over the past 40 years.

Maybe simple incompetence is all it is.

I've posted this a million times, but I just wanted to reiterate that this is most likely the case. Nothing more complicated or malevolent than that.

i agree, but the fact that Wellman otherwise makes pretty decent hires as evidenced by Grobe, Clawson, and numerous successful non-revenue teams makes it even more puzzling why he can't get our most important program right. The whole debacle with firing Dino, hiring Bz, and being completely dishonest about the whole thing naturally leads people to think there is something deeper going on.

Not in. I will not voluntarily watch another game until Manning is gone. Well, I take that back, I wouldn't mind seeing Duke, UNC and some other of the top games on the schedule. I'll be giving away my 2 seasons tickets to every other game, including tonight.

I never thought it was possible for the Deacs to break me, but they have.

My dad and his 2 brothers were all Wake graduates. I have Wake Forest sports in my DNA. I remember attending my first game as a 6 year old, seeing Skip Brown and Rod Griffin beat Final Four bound UNCC and Cornbread Maxwell. I remember watching Frank Johnson destroy State and Carolina to win the final Big 4 Tourney and going to school from head to toe in Wake gear after we beat Ralph Sampson and Virginia. I cried when we lost to UNC in the ACC Tourney and to BC in the NCAA. I remember pretending to be Kenny Green and Anthony Teachey beating DePaul in 1984.

I hung in there through the Staak years. Muggsy and Sam Ivy kept things exciting. I was there for the first game at the Joel. I remember cutting out the articles about signing Rodney Rogers and Trelonnie Owens and Randolph and feeling that Wake basketball was back. I was there when Randolph went crazy against UNC with the 6 straight 3 pointers. I thought that the roof was literally going to lift off the Joel.

The joy I felt when we won the 1995 ACC Tourney is still one of the greatest of my life. I hate Stanford to this day for the mugging they put on Duncan in 1997. I was shocked but not disappointed when Odom left and thrilled when we hired Skip. I proudly wore my Wake tie-dye. West Virginia can kiss my ass. But then Skip died.

I was still a huge fan and watched every single game and went to as many as I could. But it wasn't the same. The loss to Cleveland State just seemed inevitable. Then came BZ. Then Manning. I would go to games if someone would give me free tickets.

Now I won't even do that. It is not worth my time or my effort to leave the house. I haven't watched any of our games this year. The only player I know by name and sight is Brandon Childress. I just don't care at all about something that once inspired great passion. Thanks Ron.

My dad and his 2 brothers were all Wake graduates. I have Wake Forest sports in my DNA. I remember attending my first game as a 6 year old, seeing Skip Brown and Rod Griffin beat Final Four bound UNCC and Cornbread Maxwell. I remember watching Frank Johnson destroy State and Carolina to win the final Big 4 Tourney and going to school from head to toe in Wake gear after we beat Ralph Sampson and Virginia. I cried when we lost to UNC in the ACC Tourney and to BC in the NCAA. I remember pretending to be Kenny Green and Anthony Teachey beating DePaul in 1984.

I hung in there through the Staak years. Muggsy and Sam Ivy kept things exciting. I was there for the first game at the Joel. I remember cutting out the articles about signing Rodney Rogers and Trelonnie Owens and Randolph and feeling that Wake basketball was back. I was there when Randolph went crazy against UNC with the 6 straight 3 pointers. I thought that the roof was literally going to lift off the Joel.

The joy I felt when we won the 1995 ACC Tourney is still one of the greatest of my life. I hate Stanford to this day for the mugging they put on Duncan in 1997. I was shocked but not disappointed when Odom left and thrilled when we hired Skip. I proudly wore my Wake tie-dye. West Virginia can kiss my ass. But then Skip died.

I was still a huge fan and watched every single game and went to as many as I could. But it wasn't the same. The loss to Cleveland State just seemed inevitable. Then came BZ. Then Manning. I would go to games if someone would give me free tickets.

Now I won't even do that. It is not worth my time or my effort to leave the house. I haven't watched any of our games this year. The only player I know by name and sight is Brandon Childress. I just don't care at all about something that once inspired great passion. Thanks Ron.

Damn.

I can't imagine why anyone would drive from Raleigh or Charlotte, like I used to often do, to see this team play.

I relate to this post 100% (I go back to Charlie Davis). And a lot of other die hard Deacon fans do as well. One word describes the current feeling of WFU fans: misery.

I can't imagine why anyone would drive from Raleigh or Charlotte, like I used to often do, to see this team play.

I was in the Joel to see Collins beat Louisville. I figured it was the last chance I had to see him play, and I’m glad I went. But I haven’t been back and won’t be for as long as Danny is still there. It just encourages them.

I was in the Joel to see Collins beat Louisville. I figured it was the last chance I had to see him play, and I’m glad I went. But I haven’t been back and won’t be for as long as Danny is still there. It just encourages them.

Yeah, my last game was the one before that against Pitt.

My last game was the two point loss to Duke two years ago. We were up 10 with 5 minutes to go. That loss just epitomized the state of Wake basketball for me.

I relate to this post 100% (I go back to Charlie Davis). And a lot of other die hard Deacon fans do as well. One word describes the current feeling of WFU fans: misery.

#metoo. I go back to Skip and Jerry and Frank.

My last game was the two point loss to Duke two years ago. We were up 10 with 5 minutes to go. That loss just epitomized the state of Wake basketball for me.

Another one of those 2-12 Wake finishes that year. My last one was Clempsun. Same situation.

We used to call the Big Four Tournament "The Wake Forest Invitational" because we knew we were going to win it. State, Carolina, and Dick were always "invited" because it was fun to see them all get an early season loss. Now, we couldn't win a tournament against any of those schools worst intramural teams.

9JrNdUo.gif

Back