• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Anybody care about Wake b-ball anymore?

Y’all obviously care. At least enough to spend time bitching and whining about it.

Insightful post. Thanks. I’ve had a similar impression of Hatch - he really likes sports and seems to follow the basketball and football teams closely. He also used to play a lot of basketball.

I also completely agree that some on here are just searching for conspiracy theories, when in reality, Wellman just screwed up with his basketball firings/hirings and gives coaches a long leash once he hires them.

Perhaps, but a long leash shouldn't include an extension for a coach that is obviously failing at his job. That's gross neglect of the program or gross hubris on Wellman's part.

It's worse than he made an oopsies and is waiting to see how things play out with a 2nd straight horrendous hire.

Meh, y'all are fucking whiners. Support the team

I agree with this. I will always support Wake Forest University.

I may not like what I see, but will never pull against them.

Perhaps, but a long leash shouldn't include an extension for a coach that is obviously failing at his job. That's gross neglect of the program or gross hubris on Wellman's part.

It's worse than he made an oopsies and is waiting to see how things play out with a 2nd straight horrendous hire.

Contract extensions are given to provide the appearance of stability, specifically to allow coaches to recruit effectively. They typically are very easy to terminate with minimal/no penalty to the athletic department.

Yes, it's really bad that Wellman screwed up two basketball coaching hires. A fireable offense in my opinion. But the contracts and vague comments are meaningless.

support the team is a dumb, meaningless phrase. "support the troops"

an actual way to support the team would be to identify and solve the problems plaguing the team, things like poor coaching and administrative leadership (or lack thereof)

worsephan would've made a top notch French general in 1914

Betterphan is part of the problem. No need to make changes while current policies are supported.

Settle down knowell. Nobody on this board is "part of the problem." This board is essentially an echo chamber of about 100 fans. Equating comments on this board with reality is a really bad move. I was reminded of how much disconnect there is between message boards and reality when reading about Steve Alford's firing. The UCLA newspaper took a poll of students on their main quad. Only 30% knew that Steve Alford was their basketball coach, and that's at UCLA. 30% Of those 30%, 75% thought he should NOT be fired. What is currently happening at Wake Forest at this moment, is so far from what is currently happening on this message board - the students are not thinking about Danny Manning and if Wes Miller should be our next coach.

The problem is with Danny Manning, not the fans (I can't believe I just had to type that...).

I support the team getting a coach that won't waste their entire career at Wake Forest.

Meh, y'all are fucking whiners. Support the team

What "team"???

I have been a Wake fan for 60 years. I graduated from Wake in 1969. I've supported some pretty shitty teams. I was a fan through Murdock, McCloskey and Staak. But none of that compared to the last eight years. I have no hope. All I see is doom and gloom. I see nothing to support.

The UCLA newspaper took a poll of students on their main quad. Only 30% knew that Steve Alford was their basketball coach, and that's at UCLA. 30% Of those 30%, 75% thought he should NOT be fired. What is currently happening at Wake Forest at this moment, is so far from what is currently happening on this message board - the students are not thinking about Danny Manning and if Wes Miller should be our next coach.

So we've learned that UCLA is lame. Damn near everyone on campus knew who the hell Dave Odom, and especially Skip Prosser, was.

Big state school has students that don't care about sports.

Yuge news!

Back