• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Anybody care about Wake b-ball anymore?

Is it too much to ask to just make the tourney 6 or 7 out of 10 years? Is it too much to win at least 1 or more ACC tourney game every once in a while? I'm not asking for a fucking final 4 (that would be nice) just some damn respectability.

Back in the 70's and 80's and thru the Duncan years, I used to go to a minimum of 20 WFU Basketball games a year. I would take a mid-week road trip in a second to see the Deacs play at Duke, NC State, UNC, Virginia, etc. Now, I don't even watch the team on TV anymore. I simply don't care and based on attendance thus far at homes games this year, a lot of people are in the same boat.

I don't understand why WF administration would deliberately destroy their premiere athletic program. The absence of proactive efforts to save it equals a deliberate effort to destroy it in my mind. But it doesn't make sense.

I think there is a lot of academic snobbery involved. Certain types (Hatch strikes me as this type) have disdain for something as coarse as an athletic event. Worse than that are the types of people that will holler and scream and make a fool of themselves at a sporting event. The Hatch-types know that sports are part of the college experience and they cannot disband the teams but how better to show that you are above it all than to let it all run aground.

Make your coaching choices based on something other than their ability to win games. This shows that you have the athletics in it's proper perspective.

Does anyone think BZ or Manning were chosen first and foremost because they could win games at Wake?

Van Pelt just did a piece on the apathy of Redskins fans due to clinical mismanagement and arrogance by Daniel Snyder. A once very proud and passionate fan base. You could have replaced Redskins with Demon Deacons at any point and it would’ve worked well. Just sad.

Once the most passionate members go through the sports version of 12 steps, getting past anger to apathy, they aren’t coming back. For a school like Wake with a somewhat more geographically diverse alumni base where due to proximity all many alums have remaining as a connection is the sports teams, losing interest in the flagship athletic program is akin to permanent parts of the donor base. So the attitude of an irrelevant basketball team is okay will come back around to bite the school big time. Hatch and company likely won’t be around to deal with the fallout though.

I used to be a Redskins fan growing up. Once the Panthers got a team in Charlotte, I became a dual fan. Snyder made that Redskins team so hard to root for that I just drifted towards being a Panthers fan.

It's not really a logic thing. Once the passion is gone, it's gone.

I used to be a Redskins fan growing up. Once the Panthers got a team in Charlotte, I became a dual fan. Snyder made that Redskins team so hard to root for that I just drifted towards being a Panthers fan.

It’s rough being a Skins fan and Wake Forest basketball fan. I would know.

There is a disconnect in basketball between the spending on facilities and the product on the floor. This isn't the case in football. The football team is performing at a level that is above Wake's historic level of performance. The basketball team is below historic norms. Puzzling.

There is a disconnect in basketball between the spending on facilities and the product on the floor. This isn't the case in football. The football team is performing at a level that is above Wake's historic level of performance. The basketball team is below historic norms. Puzzling.

According to a certain someone (which I feel like he posts here) on Facebook, much of the programs troubles are attributed to the size of the arena.

Same here. If the Skins got a new owner, changed the mascot, made some quality moves, I’d probably root for them again.

The real question is why was Manning hired in the first place?

If you don't care about winning but just want to run a clean program, why hire someone involved in the original shady deal of giving daddy a job in order to lure the son to a school to get a championship? While not quite illegal, doing things the "Carolina Way" (unethical but not prosecutable) does not show character.
If your not hiring a proven winner, then at least get someone who was not involved in shady goings-on during his college years.

And if you don't care about winning and just want a clean program, shouldn't a high graduation rate and low transfer rate for the "student-athletes" be important?

According to a certain someone (which I feel like he posts here) on Facebook, much of the programs troubles are attributed to the size of the arena.

That’s an obsession for DR. Manning and Bzzz would suck just as badly in a 8k on-campus arena.

And if you don't care about winning and just want a clean program, shouldn't a high graduation rate and low transfer rate for the "student-athletes" be important?

If we don't care about being competitive we need to drop to a DII or DIII conference.

Most pumped I've been for football since '79; pretty much have lost interest in college basketball (not just Wake) in recent years. In fact, I saw references to G-W today and honestly assumed we were playing George Washington.

Pretty much where I am today. I used to watch a lot of college basketball, but I was invested in it because Wake was part of the narrative. When Wake basketball became less relevant, so did the other games I used to watch. Now college basketball is like NBA for me at this point-i just tune in during the post-season.

As for Wake, when Pilchard posts the KP report on Cornell, I plan to use that information to drunkenly trash talk my brother (who went there), and hopefully the Deacs will back me up. That's the last bit of fun I hope to get out of this season. I'd be happier with the development of Chaundee and Mucius et al. if I had more confidence that they would be with us for more seasons.

That’s an obsession for DR. Manning and Bzzz would suck just as badly in a 8k on-campus arena.

Classic. Don’t want to improve our chances of winning. We lose for a reason. Not smart.

I think there is a lot of academic snobbery involved. Certain types (Hatch strikes me as this type) have disdain for something as coarse as an athletic event. Worse than that are the types of people that will holler and scream and make a fool of themselves at a sporting event. The Hatch-types know that sports are part of the college experience and they cannot disband the teams but how better to show that you are above it all than to let it all run aground.

Make your coaching choices based on something other than their ability to win games. This shows that you have the athletics in it's proper perspective.

Does anyone think BZ or Manning were chosen first and foremost because they could win games at Wake?

I normally agree with a lot of your posts but on hatch I very much disagree. Speaking from my experience meeting him as a student in the Pit, he talked to me about boxing and how notre Dame had some kind of student boxing competition and he thought that could be a possibility at Wake. I also worked at Graylyn part time and drove him to the airport. He was very down to earth and not the haughty academic type some portray him as. On the ride I remember him talking about sports and asking questions about myself. He also tipped well (gave me a $20 which as a student is like manna from heaven). On the other hand, my experience with Ron in my time in Athletics at Wake was he was very dismissive and arrogant. If I had to lay the blame on the basketball fiasco, I'd lay it squarely on Ron's shoulders. I highly doubt he or anyone is purposely trying to destroy basketball. Sometimes something so disastrous as what happened to wake basketball will inevitably lead to seeking deep truths and conspiracy theories but I really believe it's the simplest answer here.... We have an AD who let pride become his downfall and refuses to cut his losses due to aformentioned pride issue.

I watched more Wake soccer games this season than I’ve watched Wake basketball in the past five seasons.

I normally agree with a lot of your posts but on hatch I very much disagree. Speaking from my experience meeting him as a student in the Pit, he talked to me about boxing and how notre Dame had some kind of student boxing competition and he thought that could be a possibility at Wake. I also worked at Graylyn part time and drove him to the airport. He was very down to earth and not the haughty academic type some portray him as. On the ride I remember him talking about sports and asking questions about myself. He also tipped well (gave me a $20 which as a student is like manna from heaven). On the other hand, my experience with Ron in my time in Athletics at Wake was he was very dismissive and arrogant. If I had to lay the blame on the basketball fiasco, I'd lay it squarely on Ron's shoulders. I highly doubt he or anyone is purposely trying to destroy basketball. Sometimes something so disastrous as what happened to wake basketball will inevitably lead to seeking deep truths and conspiracy theories but I really believe it's the simplest answer here.... We have an AD who let pride become his downfall and refuses to cut his losses due to aformentioned pride issue.

Insightful post. Thanks. I’ve had a similar impression of Hatch - he really likes sports and seems to follow the basketball and football teams closely. He also used to play a lot of basketball.

I also completely agree that some on here are just searching for conspiracy theories, when in reality, Wellman just screwed up with his basketball firings/hirings and gives coaches a long leash once he hires them.

Hatch used to play basketball like once a week with students and faculty when I was in school. Knowell is just throwing shit at the wall.

I also completely agree that some on here are just searching for conspiracy theories, when in reality, Wellman just screwed up with his basketball firings/hirings and gives coaches a long leash once he hires them.

I've posted this a million times, but I just wanted to reiterate that this is most likely the case. Nothing more complicated or malevolent than that.

Back