• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Anybody care about Wake b-ball anymore?

It's time to just totally clean house with basketball. From the top down just fire everyone in the program, starting with Wellman; release the players from their scholarships; finish the season with walk-ons recruited from the student body. Then start from scratch.

They couldn't do any worse and we would get some interesting press for it too. Better to be seen as trying than as a complete joke.

I've been gone since Stetson. And it breaks my heart. Before that day, I was glued to wake b-ball. Went, watched, or listened to every second of every game. Now, I might check the schedule while I'm waiting during a routine oil change.

We have every conceivable advantage available to us in building and sustaining a basketball program. Top notch education. Best conference in America. Plenty of money. TV exposure. NBA legend alums. A patient and reasonable fan and alumni base (certainly as compared to other schools). A building that we have all seen offer a home court advantage as strong as all but a few places in the country.

And over the course of the last nine miserable seasons, we have consistently managed to lose to programs that have NONE of that. All of which can be laid on the hubris of one person, who somehow is still employed even though he has presided over all of this. It is maddening and insane all at the same time, made even worse by the fact that every single bit of it was avoidable.

To answer the original question, I don’t care as much as I used to, but really only out of a sense of self-preservation. I’ll be back if we ever get it turned back around—Virginia spent years in the wilderness but emerged on the other side; the DePauls and St. John’s of the world never have and likely never will.

I've been gone since Stetson. And it breaks my heart. Before that day, I was glued to wake b-ball. Went, watched, or listened to every second of every game. Now, I might check the schedule while I'm waiting during a routine oil change.
Past decade of losing is a real pity given pros Duncan, Paul, et. al., who must be chagrined at how low the program has sunk. No way WF can leverage their alumni status on the recruiting trail. It’s ancient history and they cannot have any confidence things will change.

It might be time for BOT to step in to bring about some real change. 🏦🏦🏦🏦🏦

You thought we would lose to Houston Baptist and Gardner Webb?
Not necessarily but I knew it was going to be bad. Manning cant win with experienced players. How did we think he would with guys that have barely played?

Just let it die

The sport (at least the college version) is on its way out anyways

It’s not worth the resources

January 19, 2009 Wake was the #1 ranked team in the nation. 3 weeks from an official 10-year downfall.

Dear Ron,
Non-alum Wake fan here. It was a great time being a Wake fan for many years. I have spent hundreds of dollars on driving from Ohio to watch several games each year. I have also been to Xavier and First Four in Dayton. My son and I wear WF gear almost every single day. I have decals on the back of my truck and a WF flag in my front yard. Every time Wake loses, especially to Gardner-Webb, Houston Baptist, Stetson, Presbyterian, Liberty.....the list goes on, I get ragged on by friends that are now wondering why I would be a Wake fan.

There are several teams close to where I live that are much more exciting to watch. The energy at the UD Arena for every Dayton Flyer game is electric. Same thing for Xavier. Both schools put the atmosphere at LJVM to shame. At this point I could care less about Wake Forest basketball...not sure I care less than you do...but I do not care any more.

Ron, regardless of what you think your legacy is as AD at Wake Forest, you will only be remembered for bringing down one of the finest, proudest (remember "proud to be a Deacon") most energetic flagship programs in college basketball. You will be known as being an embarrassment for the basketball program and a once great fan-base that showed up in droves and went crazy when Kernkraft (or whatever it is called) and Jump Around was played during time outs. Who really wants to be associated with Wake Forest basketball any more? Sometimes I wish a couple thousand Deacon fans would ascend to your ivory tower and/or Reynolds Gym to meet with Danny after practice to ask you and him the questions that are being censored during the Danny Manning Show.

The only way I would consider remaining a Wake basketball fan at this point is if you terminated Danny Manning before the next game and you rode off into the retirement sunset with the millions of $$$ you have been paid. But I am pretty sure that you don't care about my thoughts or the thoughts of thousands of other Deacon fans. I would like to wish you the best but you have shoved your middle finger up the ass of every Deacon basketball fan for 10 years now.

Written with 100% authentic sincerity,
An almost former non-alum Wake Fan

Go Flyers, X, OSU, U of Cincinnati, Butler....any other basketball program but yours.

January 19, 2009 Wake was the #1 ranked team in the nation. 3 weeks from an official 10-year downfall.

Dear Ron,
Non-alum Wake fan here. It was a great time being a Wake fan for many years. I have spent hundreds of dollars on driving from Ohio to watch several games each year. I have also been to Xavier and First Four in Dayton. My son and I wear WF gear almost every single day. I have decals on the back of my truck and a WF flag in my front yard. Every time Wake loses, especially to Gardner-Webb, Houston Baptist, Stetson, Presbyterian, Liberty.....the list goes on, I get ragged on by friends that are now wondering why I would be a Wake fan.

There are several teams close to where I live that are much more exciting to watch. The energy at the UD Arena for every Dayton Flyer game is electric. Same thing for Xavier. Both schools put the atmosphere at LJVM to shame. At this point I could care less about Wake Forest basketball...not sure I care less than you do...but I do not care any more.

Ron, regardless of what you think your legacy is as AD at Wake Forest, you will only be remembered for bringing down one of the finest, proudest (remember "proud to be a Deacon") most energetic flagship programs in college basketball. You will be known as being an embarrassment for the basketball program and a once great fan-base that showed up in droves and went crazy when Kernkraft (or whatever it is called) and Jump Around was played during time outs. Who really wants to be associated with Wake Forest basketball any more? Sometimes I wish a couple thousand Deacon fans would ascend to your ivory tower and/or Reynolds Gym to meet with Danny after practice to ask you and him the questions that are being censored during the Danny Manning Show.

The only way I would consider remaining a Wake basketball fan at this point is if you terminated Danny Manning before the next game and you rode off into the retirement sunset with the millions of $$$ you have been paid. But I am pretty sure that you don't care about my thoughts or the thoughts of thousands of other Deacon fans. I would like to wish you the best but you have shoved your middle finger up the ass of every Deacon basketball fan for 10 years now.

Go Flyers, X, OSU, U of Cincinnati, Butler....any other basketball program but yours.

This is the unseen damage that Wellman has done. Anybody that thinks a little winning will have us back where we were is not thinking straight.

A lot of this damage is permanent. Wellman has thoroughly earned the spite of any deacon. If you are a Wake fan and don't hate Wellman, you are a bot.

Dear Ron,

This guy is speaking loudly for a lot of very similar non alum fans.

I care, to the extent that this season can further embarrass the AD. I’ve enjoyed hate watching the losses to Houston Baptist and Gardner Webb, at least hoping that it’s making Wellman uncomfortable (if that’s possible). Can’t say I have any interest in conference play other than hoping for 0-18.

I certainly care but I (like others here) are losing interest in the team. I am very much a hardcore non-alum Wake Forest fan. I go to as many Wake football, baseball, basketball, and soccer games (just started that this year) as I can. I'm not sure why I've become so heavily invested in a school and it's sports when I never went there but.....I am. I truly enjoy the college atmosphere and like what Wake stands for. I can't for the life of me figure out how Wake can hire good coaches in other sports who meet or exceed expectations and the one sport that really matters to ALOT of folks in this state, Wake cannot get it right with said sport.

I personally think that since this is the lost decade, Wake should fire Manning and go ahead and renovate the Joel and do what they need to do fix that son a bitch up like they are supposedly planning, and purge the whole fucking program. At this point it's not going to hurt to have to play in another arena for a season. Wake basketball needs a fresh new look. Hire a new coach and staff and renovate the fuck out of the Joel (would love a new arena but I know they won't do that). Then in about 3 years, maybe Wake hoops can start to get some respect again.....maybe.

Forgot to add that I keep up with Wake through social media and I almost forgot there was a hoops game yesterday. Just recently that would have been unthinkable for me as I've always put the hoops games at the forefront. I have always listened to the coaches shows and participate. I have listened to ZERO Danny Manning shows so far. I have zero interest at this point. I'll just wait for baseball and football to come back around.

Last edited:
I'm indifferent. And as we all know through bad relationships, indifference is when it is truly over.

This fucking mare needs to be put down.

I didn’t even realize we played Gardner-Webb, let alone lost to them, until I read this and RJs thread. I’ve found better uses of my time in the past ten years than waste it being overly pissed about this shitty product.

Back