• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Anybody care about Wake b-ball anymore?

I would have been shocked if anything proactive were done. Wellman will have to be dragged kicking and screaming to admit his failure.

I have no idea what year it will happen.

There is nothing positive about the program and Manning does not even seem to realize there is a problem.

This last statement is what is so frustrating to me. Lack of recognition or willful failure to acknowledge that something is not right.

I don't think its just Wellman that is refusing to admit failure.

I think the higher-ups, specifically Hatch, like Danny, and have no problem with a 10 win basketball team, as long as there is no shoe/sex/other crime scandal. To them, a lost season (or a lost decade) of basketball does not mean change is needed. Hope to be wrong, but I get the sense that those who would be the ones to push Wellman to make a move have no inclination to do so. Those that have been agitating to dump Danny really have no voice or influence on the process.

I don't think its just Wellman that is refusing to admit failure.

I think the higher-ups, specifically Hatch, like Danny, and have no problem with a 10 win basketball team, as long as there is no shoe/sex/other crime scandal. To them, a lost season (or a lost decade) of basketball does not mean change is needed. Hope to be wrong, but I get the sense that those who would be the ones to push Wellman to make a move have no inclination to do so. Those that have been agitating to dump Danny really have no voice or influence on the process.

if true, they are legit stupid. there are a ton of teams winning that have no scandals.

They’re legit stupid then. One of the saddest things post Dino was the beginning of this false dichotomy that we could cheat or win and the inference that any winning under Dino was because he cheated or did something unseemly.

I don't understand why WF administration would deliberately destroy their premiere athletic program. The absence of proactive efforts to save it equals a deliberate effort to destroy it in my mind. But it doesn't make sense.

Even if you don't care at all about basketball success, there's a long-term academic play in having a good basketball program. I don't know if this still holds true, but I heard at one point Wake's two highest application volumes were Duncan's senior year and CP3's sophomore year.

Saw a recent article saying the Villanova and Clemson received a surge in applications after their Nattys.

It can't hurt to have a competitive basketball team, but kind of doubt that there was much a change in the application rate after our 2017 run to the First Four. So, to really help in that area, the hoop team needs to more than just decent (although I would take that right now).

Saw a recent article saying the Villanova and Clemson received a surge in applications after their Nattys.

It can't hurt to have a competitive basketball team, but kind of doubt that there was much a change in the application rate after our 2017 run to the First Four. So, to really help in that area, the hoop team needs to more than just decent (although I would take that right now).

Decent would be the next step toward becoming excellent - at least top 25 good. Get the Wake name in the papers daily again.

No; i don't care and its sad. It used to be embarrassing too, but, since i don't care, now its just sad. Total ineptness. if this was a public company, given that they have good "assets" and "brand recognition", they would have been acquired and then the AD and Manning would have been kicked to the curb.

Our basketball program no longer cares about us, the fans and alums.

Much bigger problem.

I only care that Manning is fired at this point. I have been a big donor for a long time and can find nothing redeeming left in the basketball program. If Steve Alford can get canned, so can Danny Manning. We are not where the program needs to be and something radical must be done.

They’re legit stupid then. One of the saddest things post Dino was the beginning of this false dichotomy that we could cheat or win and the inference that any winning under Dino was because he cheated or did something unseemly.

Our attrition/graduation rate should be a scandal.

It's reached the point where I don't even know when or who we are playing. I did watch a bit of the Tennessee game but only because it was on at the same time as our bowl game and I would check it out during commercials.

I haven't paid any money to go to a WFU basketball game since 2010. I would go if someone would offer me free tickets and a parking pass. But the past couple of seasons, I haven't even done that.

Basically, Wellman, Bz, and Manning have caused me to care so little about Wake b-ball that I won't even go see them for free.
I had the opportunity to watch either the ncsu or UNC games in the president's box #humblebrag. I declined because a. It's too much trouble to go over to Winston to watch a loss in ljvm full of opposing fans, and b. If Wellman was there I might actually commit assault.

Consider that a minor law school donor who isn't even in the Deacon club was offered those tix. That says a lot about the demand for basketball.

I had the opportunity to watch either the ncsu or UNC games in the president's box #humblebrag. I declined because a. It's too much trouble to go over to Winston to watch a loss in ljvm full of opposing fans, and b. If Wellman was there I might actually commit assault.

Consider that a minor law school donor who isn't even in the Deacon club was offered those tix. That says a lot about the demand for basketball.

They probably wanted to use you to get to me.

Van Pelt just did a piece on the apathy of Redskins fans due to clinical mismanagement and arrogance by Daniel Snyder. A once very proud and passionate fan base. You could have replaced Redskins with Demon Deacons at any point and it would’ve worked well. Just sad.

Once the most passionate members go through the sports version of 12 steps, getting past anger to apathy, they aren’t coming back. For a school like Wake with a somewhat more geographically diverse alumni base where due to proximity all many alums have remaining as a connection is the sports teams, losing interest in the flagship athletic program is akin to permanent parts of the donor base. So the attitude of an irrelevant basketball team is okay will come back around to bite the school big time. Hatch and company likely won’t be around to deal with the fallout though.

I used to schedule my life around our games. I haven’t bothered to watch a full game since Gaudio was fired. It’s just not worth it.

I used to have the whole schedule memorized. It was easier back in the true round robin days when the first 8 and second 8 games were in the same order, but still it was second nature.

I’ve made this comparison before but it rings more true than ever. It feels like Wellman and company murdered a member of my family and got away with it.

I used to have the whole schedule memorized. It was easier back in the true round robin days when the first 8 and second 8 games were in the same order, but still it was second nature.

I’ve made this comparison before but it rings more true than ever. It feels like Wellman and company murdered a member of my family and got away with it.

Man they not only murdered that family member, they ran it over with a garbage truck, dismembered it, stuffed it in a trashbag, lit it on fire and dumped the ashes in the pacific in a Wellman approved conatainer.

Back