• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Anybody care about Wake b-ball anymore?

Notwithstanding all of our angst regarding the head coach, there is at least one player who deserves our interest and attentiveness. Brandon Childress truly cares and plays hard game in and game out. He is not the prototypical big time point guard. He is too small and too slow and not sufficiently athletic to play point in the ACC; yet he has worked so diligently that he is the most productive member of our team. The kid deserves our support.

to answer the thread title, nope I sure don't. went out and played trivia last night instead of watching the game. checked the score at halftime and the end, just as I expected.

if you told me 5-10 years ago to do something else the same night was Wake-duke I'd have told you to fuck off. now I just want us to lose every game to not give Wellman any glimmer of hope with Manning.

probably killed off because we suck and it's ridiculous to have a huge pump up for an empty arena and a game we inevitably lose in a sad, lazy manner

Yep. Went to the Gardner Webb game and the pregame was devoid of any life. The Texas Pete flamethrowers seemed really out of place. Mucius was the only player that looked like he enjoyed the intros as all. No life among the team (compared to the intro/huddle there). It was all very workmanlike and emotionless.

The thing I don't get is Ron sounds like he was a good coach himself.... Don't know how he can let this continue.

http://dailynorthwestern.com/2018/05/09/sports/baseball-revisiting-unprecedented-success-of-ron-wellman-coaching-era/

Did not know he was a coach himself. Starting to make sense as coaches tend to identify with other coaches and want to make sure they get every chance to prove themselves even if it tanks the program.

See Wrangor as example. Good poster but can't help but err on the side of keeping a coach beyond the sell by date. That is really costly in the long run.

Notwithstanding all of our angst regarding the head coach, there is at least one player who deserves our interest and attentiveness. Brandon Childress truly cares and plays hard game in and game out. He is not the prototypical big time point guard. He is too small and too slow and not sufficiently athletic to play point in the ACC; yet he has worked so diligently that he is the most productive member of our team. The kid deserves our support.

Agree. He’s certainly benefited from being at Wake as he’s gotten some exposure, but at the same time he of all people has the least say in who he was going to play for. He may internally feel trapped and just want his college basketball career to be over with, and so he just sticks to the party line when speaking to the press to avoid any issue. Or, he may actually believe the fluff he says. But either way he has worked hard,and all in the shadow of his father’s legacy. I’m glad he’s a Deac.

To answer the question posited by the initial post. . .I have not watched a single minute of a basketball game this year and I have no intention of doing so.

Couldn't imagine being Brandon, growing up hearing stories of his Dads days at Wake, how great the program was, the place was packed. He probably dreamt his whole life of playing for Wake, and when he finally meets that goal he plays in front of 900 fans a night losing 20 games a year.

Couldn't imagine being Brandon, growing up hearing stories of his Dads days at Wake, how great the program was, the place was packed. He probably dreamt his whole life of playing for Wake, and when he finally meets that goal he plays in front of 900 fans a night losing 20 games a year.

And his dad was an integral part of both.

Driving home today in the Triangle, the sports show mentioned Wake basketball. That pretty much does not happen. They were asking if Manning was in trouble. They talked about the contract and seemed to be certain that Wake would owe Manning 18 million. They said Wellman should be fired for destroying the basketball program.

The only time Wake basketball gets noticed is when people look up and realize that a once decent program is in its 9th straight year of complete disaster.

Back