• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lady Deacs

The wake women haven’t made the tournament in my lifetime. How is this program so damn terrible.

I wish the women's team would play in either Reynolds (or whatever it's called now, assuming it still exists) or better yet the Coliseum annex. Those would be better venues. I understand that they prefer to play in LJVM, but as you say it cannot help recruiting.

https://gopack.com/facilities/?id=20

NCSU figured it out; reduced Reynolds down from 12,000 to 5,000 capacity and is used primarily for the women's BB team. The men usually also play one "heritage" game there early in the season against a weak opponent (you know, the Houston Baptist/Gardner-Webb variety)

Hatch has a granddaughter on the team?

Women’s hoops has TV money. I imagine it will be a significant part of the ACC Network package.

What is the women's basketball scholarship situation? Do they have 12 full scholarships like men's? If so, this is even more insane that we're this bad for this long.

Same number of scholarships as UConn’s women’s team.

15 ships for the women and 13 for the men.

With full scholarships, at a top 25 university, that would otherwise cost around $65,000, in a sport that really doesn't have any financial prospects after graduation, how can we not be competitive. I can understand baseball struggling when you only have about 12 scholarships for around 30 players and you're competing with state schools that don't cost as much, but not when you can get a full ride. ND, Stanford, Duke, Northwestern, Rice all have good women's teams. Only Vandy sucks.

With full scholarships, at a top 25 university, that would otherwise cost around $65,000, in a sport that really doesn't have any financial prospects after graduation, how can we not be competitive. I can understand baseball struggling when you only have about 12 scholarships for around 30 players and you're competing with state schools that don't cost as much, but not when you can get a full ride. ND, Stanford, Duke, Northwestern, Rice all have good women's teams. Only Vandy sucks.

Agreed. Wake has a ton of resources to be successful in women's basketball. The right coach makes all the difference.

This thread didn't age well.

No it didn't. I had high hopes that we'd show some progress this year and maybe setup for making a run at the tourney in another year or two.

Now I'm feeling that both hoops programs need complete overhauls and fresh starts.

Agree and would add that while Vandy may be down now they have had very strong (top 10) teams in the past. As a fully funded sport, there is no reason for WF to perpetually suck in women's basketball. Would be willing to bet that WF women's basketball is not only the only Power 6 program to not get an NCAA bid over the last 30 years, but WF also has the single worst winning percentage among Power 6 schools over that time. Really is unbelievable how long this program has completely sucked.

Agree and would add that while Vandy may be down now they have had very strong (top 10) teams in the past. As a fully funded sport, there is no reason for WF to perpetually suck in women's basketball. Would be willing to bet that WF women's basketball is not only the only Power 6 program to not get an NCAA bid over the last 30 years, but WF also has the single worst winning percentage among Power 6 schools over that time. Really is unbelievable how long this program has completely sucked.

It's almost like we have an AD who doesn't understand the sport or how to hire/manage coaches for it.

There has to be 3-4 smart girls each year that are also top 250 players that would take a $250,000 education in exchange for playing basketball. You would think it doesn't take a genius to sell that deal. You could be the Danny Manning of women's in game coaching and still win 70% of your games if you have a top 25 class every year.

There has to be 3-4 smart girls each year that are also top 250 players that would take a $250,000 education in exchange for playing basketball. You would think it doesn't take a genius to sell that deal. You could be the Danny Manning of women's in game coaching and still win 70% of your games if you have a top 25 class every year.

Haven't we had some pretty good recruiting classes? If that's correct they sure haven't paid off. I know it seems injuries have bit us a lot, but still.

I started and finished my research on this wikipedia page - looks like Washington State is almost (not quite, but almost) as horrible as WF in women's basketball

perhaps its tough to recruit young ladies to be called Cougars

Back