• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lady Deacs

SCDeac

Reaction score
Since the men’s team is unbearable, give the ladies a look. Hoover at least gives a shit, the girls play with guts, and we’re on a 5 game winning streak. I have 3 daughters so we follow the ladies. Some decent talent in Penna, Racq, Sharp and Udoh.

I’d rather support a team with spirit and spunk than that dogshit Manning serves up.

With all due respect, if we’re only beating Norfolk State 63-61, I can’t the women’s team fairing much better than the men’s in conference play.

With all due respect, if we’re only beating Norfolk State 63-61, I can’t the women’s team fairing much better than the men’s in conference play.

Better beating Norfolk State by 2 than losing to Gardner Webb or Houston Baptist, our men's "team" and "Coach" Manning lost to both.

Better beating Norfolk State by 2 than losing to Gardner Webb or Houston Baptist, our men's "team" and "Coach" Manning lost to both.

I agree, but it’s still hard to get excited about another women’s team destined to finish in the bottom 1/4 of the league yet again.

This. Ballhandling in ACC is going to be a big problem in ACC. They should be winning these games by 20 not 2. I am afraid Hoover is only marginally better than Manning.

This. Ballhandling in ACC is going to be a big problem in ACC. They should be winning these games by 20 not 2. I am afraid Hoover is only marginally better than Manning.

Agreed. The women’s team this year seems to have a situation where the individual players should add up to a better team. They have given up big second half leads in several games. However, I will add that our women’s team under Hoover almost always plays well in the acc tourney.

The Lady Deacs are currently #79 in the women's hoop RPI. While far better than the men, they are 11th in the ACC right now, and would need to pass a several teams in conference play to get an NCAA bid. So, yes, the women's team may be more deserving of attention than the men's program, but the fact remains that the women's hoop program has continued to under-perform as compared to virtually every other program on campus, except of course, our men's program which is even worse. FWIW, the women are done with the OOC patsy schedule, and begin conference play this weekend.

Women's basketball has been a disaster for over a quarter century now under the benevolent aegis of Ron Wellman.

30 years and counting since our last NCAA tourney appearance. It looked like Hoover was recruiting at a level that might finally change that early in her tenure, but we seemed to have settled into bad mediocrity again.

Haven't had a winning record in conference since the Reagan administration.

What does Kenpom say the outcome would be if the WF ladies took on Manning and the guys?

Women's basketball has been a disaster for over a quarter century now under the benevolent aegis of Ron Wellman.

Yep. Somehow he’s gotten a pass for this. We had a window to make a leap when the impact of Title IX was becoming apparent and more girls were playing basketball at higher levels. Other programs took advantage and we didn’t. Now the women’s basketball landscape is almost as tough as men’s.

Yep. Somehow he’s gotten a pass for this. We had a window to make a leap when the impact of Title IX was becoming apparent and more girls were playing basketball at higher levels. Other programs took advantage and we didn’t. Now the women’s basketball landscape is almost as tough as men’s.

Maybe not as tough overall to make the tournament but I’d argue it’s much tougher to win a National Championship. Only about 5-6 programs have a chance.

Maybe not as tough overall to make the tournament but I’d argue it’s much tougher to win a National Championship. Only about 5-6 programs have a chance.

I agree. I was talking about just having a legit program. The women's game has always favored programs that invested in women's sports back in the 80s and initially took advantage of Title IX and hired a great coach awhile back.

None of the women's hires were objectively bad as [name redacted] or Manning that I remember. Charlene Curtis was a UConn assistant. Petersen was an experienced head coach with a solid record. Hoover is an alum. She was an experienced assistant who had one good year as a head coach. Each got plenty of time to succeed.

Last edited:
Back