• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lady Deacs

Several years ago the women recruited 4 top 100 AAU teammates who should have provided talent and athleticism to the program. Kortni Simmons should be the starting point guard but has been hurt her entire career and finally was medically disqualified this year. Destini Walker should start at the wing forward position and has has had the same fate as Simmons. Ariel Stephenson should be starting at the SG position but injured her shoulder and will return for her redshirt senior season next year. Tyra Whitehead should be starting at center but has been dismissed from the program. The team plays in front of a few hundred fans in the Joel. It’s amazing they can recruit anybody to play in an empty arena. Conti does her best at PG but the team lacks ACC level athleticism with all the injuries. The conference season could get ugly if other teams press our ball handlers. Several athletic recruits will join the program next year and everybody returns except Penna. Some day we may put a healthy team on the court but it hasn’t happened in Coach Hoover’s entire tenure.

I wish the women's team would play in either Reynolds (or whatever it's called now, assuming it still exists) or better yet the Coliseum annex. Those would be better venues. I understand that they prefer to play in LJVM, but as you say it cannot help recruiting.

Several years ago the women recruited 4 top 100 AAU teammates who should have provided talent and athleticism to the program. Kortni Simmons should be the starting point guard but has been hurt her entire career and finally was medically disqualified this year. Destini Walker should start at the wing forward position and has has had the same fate as Simmons. Ariel Stephenson should be starting at the SG position but injured her shoulder and will return for her redshirt senior season next year. Tyra Whitehead should be starting at center but has been dismissed from the program. The team plays in front of a few hundred fans in the Joel. It’s amazing they can recruit anybody to play in an empty arena. Conti does her best at PG but the team lacks ACC level athleticism with all the injuries. The conference season could get ugly if other teams press our ball handlers. Several athletic recruits will join the program next year and everybody returns except Penna. Some day we may put a healthy team on the court but it hasn’t happened in Coach Hoover’s entire tenure.

Every college women's bball team plays in such an environment (except for UConn and maybe ND), so it's not a Wake-specific disadvantage.

I wish the women's team would play in either Reynolds (or whatever it's called now, assuming it still exists) or better yet the Coliseum annex. Those would be better venues. I understand that they prefer to play in LJVM, but as you say it cannot help recruiting.

Reynolds is now totally dedicated to volleyball and the annex is dedicated to the Thunderbirds minor league hockey team.

More people would go to women's basketball games if we didn't perpetually stink.

Reynolds is now totally dedicated to volleyball and the annex is dedicated to the Thunderbirds minor league hockey team.

Is there anyplace on campus for ordinary students to play basketball indoors?

Another loss in ACC play today with 27 turnovers. Both men's and women's coaches need to be let go at the end of the year.

I love the headline on the Athletic Department's homepage: "Hurricanes Sneak Past Deacs in ACC Opener"

Miami won by 15. That's a helluva lot of sneaking.

Is there anyplace on campus for ordinary students to play basketball indoors?
The renovated Reynolds Gym/Sutton Center is for regular students. Students have never had it so good from an indoor rec standpoint at Wake.

Another loss in ACC play today with 27 turnovers. Both men's and women's coaches need to be let go at the end of the year.

I was sitting near the Wake women's basketball team at the Notre Dame football game. One of them was rooting for Notre Dame. But Hoover made her stop or at least be quiet about it.

In addition to 27 TOs, WF also shot 15% from 3 and 31% from 2. Just an atrocious offensive performance.

In addition to 27 TOs, WF also shot 15% from 3 and 31% from 2. Just an atrocious offensive performance.

I predict they have a game this year with 40 turnovers. Their poor point guard is just completely overmatched in ACC play.

I predict they have a game this year with 40 turnovers. Their poor point guard is just completely overmatched in ACC play.

Any word on whether the coach is happy that they are trying? Are they stacking practices?

Another loss for the lady deacons - 65 - 64 to BC. When you look at both the men's and women's basketball teams we must have one of the worst college basketball programs in the country.

Another game, another loss this time to ND by 30. Looks like more injuries as well as Sharp has missed a few games

Is it to a point that we can use the scholarships to set up a softball team instead? Does the ACC require us to field a women's basketball team? There isn't any TV money and I'm assuming it costs us money to open the joel for games.

WF has a combined 0-6 ACC record in the conference's marquee winter sport for Men's and Women's athletics (probably the conference's marquee sport in men's and women's athletics overall). No other ACC school has yet to win at least two games in men's and women's basketball when their conference records are combined. Only one of WF's 6 conference losses has been less than double digits.

Historically (non)competitive.

Last edited:
Back