• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Country Ham appreciation thread

MHBDemon

Reaction score
I fucking love country ham. My dad mailed me one he got from Ronnie’s (sp?). Cooked my first one and it was delicious. Made some Brunswick Stew to go with.

Then i was asking my dad about whether country ham was ubiquitous across the south or mainly popular in Virginia and Carolinas.

That led us to this article on the history of country ham:

https://gardenandgun.com/articles/history-country-ham/

And it includes this gem:

In his Histories of the Dividing Line betwixt Virginia and North Carolina, Virginian William Byrd II writes that North Carolinians eat so much pork that
it “makes them likewise extremely hoggish in their Temper, & many of them seem to Grunt rather than Speak in their ordinary conversation.”

Anyways. If you like it, or don’t, share your experiences of eating it growing up or encountering it for the first time.

Country Ham with eggs over easy and some hashbrowns. Lawd have mercy.

Moose Cafe in the Piedmont Triad Farmer’s Market gets theirs from some farm in Watagua County and might be the best I’ve had.

OMG. Totally in on both country ham AND Brunswick stew (Ms. Fearnow’s FTW! Got some in my Christmas stocking!)

Growing up we didn’t eat as much of the slab country ham, but more often has it thin shaved from the deli and ate it on sandwiches or ham rolls / biscuits. Country ham biscuit with a little butter on it? Mmmmm

One of the worst things about Fl is No one has ham biscuits. Order one and you get Canadian bacon.

Any recommendations on a good mail order country ham?

We used to order from Edwards. I’m no connoisseur, but others have said quality has gone down since their cure House burned down couple years ago. Maybe worth a try though.

"To much flavor" is an interesting complaint.

I'll take my filet well done and lifeless please. Those fancy crackers? No thanks. Saltines ftw. Is that popcorn shrimp I see over there? <elbows 6 yo out of the way to empty the tray>

Foothills Country Ham from Wilkesboro not as salty, full flavor, Shatley Springs in Crumpler private labels Foothills and sells at the restaurant.

Benton's is pretty much the national standard for ordering cured ham. Pretty sure the Momofuku guys and a lot of other fancy NYC restos source a lot of their stuff from Bentons. He had a fire at some point in the last few years so orders were backed up for months.

http://bentonscountryhams2.com/

Looks like they still have trouble keeping up w demand.

I think I posted on a food thread a while back but in south GA they now have the first (and only) iberico ham grown in USA.

https://www.whiteoakpastures.com/pork/pastured-raised-iberian-cured-pork.asp

Looks like they are all sold out at the moment too.

wife bought some recently because she thought it was some sort of healthier bacon alternative. i hadn't had it before and didn't mind it but the saltiness was fucking bonkers.

is this one of those products where people who like it enjoy the trashy diner-quality level b/c that's what they had when they were kids or are really into artisan quality cured meats, a la TAB?

seems like scrapple, to me

Back