• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UCLA AD has Bigger Balls than Wellman

deacdixieboy

Reaction score
Steve Alford fired. He was 124-63 in his 6 years yet is fired midseason with a 7-6 record.

He may have bigger balls but he has a much smaller brain. Firing someone like Alford mid-season with his record is absurd. Not a great comparison to our dumpster fire.

Weird.

When we lost to Liberty, we gave Manning an extension.

I sure hope UCLA knows what they are doing. Of course, they don’t have the basketball history or ACC-affiliation that keeps us from making a similar move.

So uncouth.

Obviously had to be the loss to that trouble maker that we don't need and will be better off without, Keyshawn, that did it.

Weird.

When we lost to Liberty, we gave Manning an extension.

I sure hope UCLA knows what they are doing. Of course, they don’t have the basketball history or ACC-affiliation that keeps us from making a similar move.

So uncouth.

We certainly have to protect our historically great, 100 % pristine image.

We certainly have to protect our historically great, 100 % pristine image.

I know, right? When you mention Wake Forest basketball, you are an epicenter of respect. I love that I never take any shit during basketball season ... sigh.

Now we can fire Manning & staff today and hire Alford & staff on an interim basis.

Win-win for us.

From reading about this today, it is a very similar situation at UCLA.

Alford's hiring was not celebrated by everyone, and the concern was that he'd probably be able to recruit, but not coach a lick. And that is how it has played out.

There is also a push to get the AD fired, but it seems like he's not going anywhere for the time being... So the fan base has concerns about him hiring another coach. Largely glad to get rid of Alford, even if it means taking a risk w/ the AD making another hire.

Sounds a lot like Wake to me.

In-season firings, absent a scandal of some sort, are pointless. Coach is going to get paid; it's not like the move will suddenly make the Bruins an NCAA worthy team this year. Guess that it placates a segment of the fan-base, but it's not like an assistant coach, that was part of the reason why the team sucked, is the long term answer. So, Alford gets a three month vacation, and UCLA is still going to suck. What is accomplished?

In-season firings, absent a scandal of some sort, are pointless. Coach is going to get paid; it's not like the move will suddenly make the Bruins an NCAA worthy team this year. Guess that it placates a segment of the fan-base, but it's not like an assistant coach, that was part of the reason why the team sucked, is the long term answer. So, Alford gets a three month vacation, and UCLA is still going to suck. What is accomplished?

They keep fan/alumni interest through what will likely be a mediocre season to see the initial progress, instead of the season spiraling into lame-duck apathy, which we should be all to familiar with.

They keep fan/alumni interest through what will likely be a mediocre season to see the initial progress, instead of the season spiraling into lame-duck apathy, which we should be all to familiar with.

It also gives more time for the hiring process and any required fund raising, etc to take place. I know that can be done at some level in the background, but it would seem easier when it's all out in the open.

I spell it H O P E.

It also gives more time for the hiring process and any required fund raising, etc to take place. I know that can be done at some level in the background, but it would seem easier when it's all out in the open.

yep

Although, I generally agree with you, there are some exceptions. A place like UCLA couldn't start a real search while having a coach. It would get out and be worse for the program than firing him now.

Like at Wake it also would lift some pressure from the players. As the season descends, the players would put in the position to answer questions they shouldn't have to about the status of their coach.

In rare occasions, this is right move.

I don't disagree... But in UCLA's case, they could conceivably still win the horrible Pac 12 given they have some talent.

I'd watch to see what Childress could do on his "own."

I forgot we were playing Gardner-Webb, won't watch the replay and though I do like watching Brandon and Brown play, am strongly considering bailing on the rest of the season. Honestly, if you had told me even in the middle of the Bzd years if I ever would just abandon watching on the cusp of the ACC season, I wouldn't have believed you.

The only reason to keep watching is that life is long, at some point we will be on top again and Duke will suck. There may be future reality in which both Duke and Carolina suck at the same time and we are good, and if you watch this shit now, those moments will be even sweeter. But that is the only reason to keep watching IMO.

I assume everyone realizes this means we will hire Alford. He was allegedly on the very short list when we hired [Redacted].

Anybody found Alford's contract buyout terms? It should be available.

Back