• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UCLA AD has Bigger Balls than Wellman

This all goes back to Dino's firing. Wellman had to take some major heat in the coaching ranks for dumping Dino when he was being successful and then leaking the culture crap. He knee-jerked by hiring Redacted and had to give him more time than he desrved to try to regain some favor.

He must know by now that he whiffed with DM, so he concocts the fully guaranteed story to make himself look like a coach-friendly AD. When Manning is let go, a confidentiality agreement will be executed which prevents either side for discussing the terms. Absent any clarification, the assumption will be that DM walked away with the full contract amount and Wellman will figure that any resentment about Dino's termination is no longer an issue.

This

This all goes back to Dino's firing. Wellman had to take some major heat in the coaching ranks for dumping Dino when he was being successful and then leaking the culture crap. He knee-jerked by hiring Redacted and had to give him more time than he desrved to try to regain some favor.

He must know by now that he whiffed with DM, so he concocts the fully guaranteed story to make himself look like a coach-friendly AD. When Manning is let go, a confidentiality agreement will be executed which prevents either side for discussing the terms. Absent any clarification, the assumption will be that DM walked away with the full contract amount and Wellman will figure that any resentment about Dino's termination is no longer an issue.

Wouldn't it be easier to just have an AD that didn't have this baggage?

I don't think that is it. You don't lead coaches to believe you gave the prior coach an absurd guarantee. When they slightly outperform the fired coach, they will rightfully demand similar guarantees. You have backed yourself into a corner.

Yeah, except under that scenario, any coach we hire would expect a full guaranteed extension after the slightest of success.

Yeah, except under that scenario, any coach we hire would expect a full guaranteed extension after the slightest of success.

Wellman speak: "Well, you know I'm not at liberty to discuss the terms of our last coach's separation agreement. I can say that we had to write a substantial check to him when he left, which causes me to re-evaluate both the terms and length of future contracts. Rest assured that we will continue to treat you fairly and reward you handsomely, commensorate with your success."

I just don't understand the downside of firing Manning.

I am curious how wake could be so tight-lipped that nobody in the fanbase knows anything but somehow Jeff Goodman has a source.

Goodman made/makes his bones in the industry directly contacting assistants. It really was a brilliant strategy. He built a stable of young coaches that trusted him with information. He continually works on that network.

I know this because he contacted me several times in the early 2000’s and I know he was doing the same to other young coaches. By consistently ‘recruiting’ he has the inside scoop that even big donors don’t have because the coaches will talk to him knowing he won’t burn them.

Chances are if Goodman has a scoop it came from an assistant coach somewhere. Coaches talk to each other and Goodman has a great network to be inside that communication loop.

It's not the "Wake Forest way." Which is apparently being as terrible at basketball as possible.

That's the general message from the "front row" Deacs who are still giving money so that they "have a voice." Wellman apparently isn't wise enough to listen to the message from all of the people who stopped giving money.

That's the general message from the "front row" Deacs who are still giving money so that they "have a voice." Wellman apparently isn't wise enough to listen to the message from all of the people who stopped giving money.
Once again, it'd be nice to have a school president who actually cared that the AD is allowing the flagship program to flounder for going on 10 years.

Goodman made/makes his bones in the industry directly contacting assistants. It really was a brilliant strategy. He built a stable of young coaches that trusted him with information. He continually works on that network.

I know this because he contacted me several times in the early 2000’s and I know he was doing the same to other young coaches. By consistently ‘recruiting’ he has the inside scoop that even big donors don’t have because the coaches will talk to him knowing he won’t burn them.

Chances are if Goodman has a scoop it came from an assistant coach somewhere. Coaches talk to each other and Goodman has a great network to be inside that communication loop.

Good stuff. That's a hell of a strategy by Goodman.

Last edited:
UCLA AD has a way better women's gymnastics team than Wellman too.

Back