• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UCLA AD has Bigger Balls than Wellman

I know we've been over this a number of times, but there is simply no way that is true.

Manning is going to get fired at the end of this season. It is an inevitability at this point. Because of his extension, I am sure there will be financial hurdles, but not "$18mil guaranteed" financial hurdles.

If it wasn’t true, you’d think there would be “sources close the program” to inform Les or Conor or at least a whisper campaign among the fanbase to make that clear.

If anything close to this is true Wellman and Hatch should be fired for malpractice. Oh wait, our BOTs are no better.

If anything close to this is true Wellman and Hatch should be fired for malpractice. Oh wait, our BOTs are no better.

If it were true there should be a criminal investigation. Definitely some misappropriations of funds.

If it wasn’t true, you’d think there would be “sources close the program” to inform Les or Conor or at least a whisper campaign among the fanbase to make that clear.

Maybe at other schools, but we’ve never had sources that tell us anything.

And how do you know I haven’t heard anything?

This. You would want to clarify, if anything, because it makes you and your institution come off as incredibly incompetent.

I can see a situation in which Wellman signs Manning to the most lucrative contract in school history regarding guaranteed money. Moves like the Manning extension put Wake in difficult negotiation spots.

I am curious how wake could be so tight-lipped that nobody in the fanbase knows anything but somehow Jeff Goodman has a source.

Last edited:
I am curious how wake could be so tight-lipped that nobody in the fanbase knows anything but somehow Jeff Goodman has a source.

Agree strongly with my adversary. Insane that this hasn’t been corrected if it’s not true.

I disagree with you all.

There is no reason for the athletic department to address this.

“We have no interest in firing our coach, but you guys are WAY off in how much we’d owe him if we did.”

As has always been the case, it’ll be silence via all channels.

I disagree with you all.

There is no reason for the athletic department to address this.

“We have no interest in firing our coach, but you guys are WAY off in how much we’d owe him if we did.”

As has always been the case, it’ll be silence via all channels.

It doesn’t need to be done officially, on the record. Just give an anonymous quote to a reporter that Goodman’s report is not accurate.

Seems to me that contract extensions are given for one of 2 possible reasons. 1) the coach is doing great and could be picked off so you want to lock him in by giving a raise and making sure there is a buy-out to make it harder for other teams to steal him away, or 2) coach is nearing end of deal, not doing exceptionally well, and you want to give the appearance of longterm stability from a recruiting standpoint (ie nobody wants to commit to a lame duck coach).

NOBODY was trying to steal Manning away, so the only logical conclusion is that the extension was for #2. If that is the case, it makes sense for the terms to be kept quiet and if anything for there to be rumors that the buy-out is high yada yada even if it is not. There is nothing to be gained from dispelling this rumor up until the exact point that you fire the coach.

I appreciate the Manning hate but Wake has always been a bit on the cheap side and Manning is not an idiot (except for choosing basketball coaches)---therefore, I tend not to believe that we are locked into some 18 million dollar contract.

Maybe at other schools, but we’ve never had sources that tell us anything.

And how do you know I haven’t heard anything?

LOL. Do a board search for “sources” or “sauces” and get back to me.

There is a difference between recruiting info and coaching contract info (especially at a private university).

We still don’t have details of [Redacted]’s departure.

ATS, so what you're saying is that the sources that told national college basketball reporters Manning got a guaranteed deal are wrong because we haven't seen any sources that have told us otherwise?

I'm just throwing this out to crowd source some ideas, as I'm still frustratingly oblivious. . .
I'm confident Goodman didn't just make this up, so WHO leaked it and WHY did they do so? I'm certainly not convinced that in late November, Wake Forest was at the top of Goodman's mind that he went digging around for this information AND he was able to get it. Somebody (or somebodies) went to him with it.

ATS, so what you're saying is that the sources that told national college basketball reporters Manning got a guaranteed deal are wrong because we haven't seen any sources that have told us otherwise?

No.

I am saying:
1) I choose to believe that there is no way that Wake Forest handed Danny Manning the single worst contract extension in college basketball history (from the University's perspective). Wake is notoriously cheap in paying coaches... Just doesn't make sense that they'd lock themselves into something. Basically the gist of what wfupdx posted.
2) Goodman was misinformed... Either by somebody with an agenda or a simple misunderstanding of the facts. Goodman tweets a ton of stuff (I follow him)... This isn't like some Wall Street Journal expose, this was a single tweet based on information from an unnamed source. I agree with Les that Goodman probably didn't look for this info... It came to him, he thought it was interesting, and he posted it.
3) We won't see anything to refute Goodman's tweet because it was a tweet. There are very few people who know the details of the contract, so there are very few people in a position to comment... And even fewer who probably know who Goodman is. Or care.

Now, if you want my bigger picture take, Manning is going to get fired at the end of the season. Yeah, we'll have to pay him something. Yeah, we are cheap. So yeah, we aren't going to bring in any coach who commands a huge paycheck. Which sets up the potential for another shitty, underwhelming hire. At least this time we can go young like most want to do... I just worry it's going to be someone completely underprepared to coach ACC basketball.

If I’m Goodman and someone comes to me with information like that, is all I do with it one throwaway tweet? Aren’t fully guaranteed contract somewhat rare? Is he not a tiny bit curious why an ACC school fully guaranteed the contract of a bad coach? I suppose his source won’t say any more.

I guess I’m just surprised that a reporter of his stature won’t put a tiny bit of heat on the administration by at least tweeting, I don’t know, maybe two or three times about it more than once.

Even though we are an ACC school, I’m afraid I’m deluded that we matter more than we really do.

This all goes back to Dino's firing. Wellman had to take some major heat in the coaching ranks for dumping Dino when he was being successful and then leaking the culture crap. He knee-jerked by hiring Redacted and had to give him more time than he desrved to try to regain some favor.

He must know by now that he whiffed with DM, so he concocts the fully guaranteed story to make himself look like a coach-friendly AD. When Manning is let go, a confidentiality agreement will be executed which prevents either side for discussing the terms. Absent any clarification, the assumption will be that DM walked away with the full contract amount and Wellman will figure that any resentment about Dino's termination is no longer an issue.

Back