• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UCLA AD has Bigger Balls than Wellman

I highly doubt we'll even consider Alford, but it would be funny if we fired Manning today and hired Alford immediately.

I'm fine with Steve Alford not being interested.

I don't want Steve Alford. Yes, he would be an improvement, but WF needs a coach that will out-work the competition. Never got that vibe from Alford. Among the issues with Manning are that he has earned enough money to be comfortable forever, and he already achieved so much as a player that winning as a college coach would be nice, but will never define him. Same is true for Alford. Alford has an Olympic Gold Medal, he has played in the NBA, he has made tens of millions as a college basketball coach. Just don't see him as the hungry, do whatever it takes to be successful type that is required to win at WF.

Last edited:
I don't buy the argument that coaches with money don't have drive to win. Anybody who would be considered at a P5 school has already made millions coaching. Manning made $10m in the NBA and will probably get more than that from his time at wake.

I don't buy the argument that coaches with money don't have drive to win. Anybody who would be considered at a P5 school has already made millions coaching.

Yeah, but it's about how it's earned. Coaches who earned millions coaching earned it, well, coaching. Their drive is for coaching. It's what they do. It's fairly obvious that coaching is not Manning's passion. It's what his dad did after playing, so maybe he just thinks that's what he's supposed to do to fill his time?

Wake basketball is the gift that keeps on giving. Need money but have no skills? Wake basketball is the place for you.

UCLA AD may simply have more re$ource$ to work with. Lots of big money people graduated from UCLA. Some of them care about basketball.

Let's hope that the settlement reduces on a calendar year basis. Hey, I can hope, right?

Happy New Year!

Let's hope that the settlement reduces on a calendar year basis. Hey, I can hope, right?

Happy New Year!

Well, "fully guaranteed" means he gets the money whether or not he coaches. So the only annual "reductions" occur because he is at Wake coaching for the year. The buyout would simply be any contract money he hasn't yet received while being in the position of head basketball coach at Wake.

I find it hard to believe that his contract is fully guaranteed but that is the report to work with.

We don't know that for sure.

Very little can be stated with certainty these days, but Jeff Goodman, who is generally reliable, has reported that Manning's contract is guaranteed through 2024-25, with no buyout:

https://247sports.com/college/wake-forest/Article/National-media-beginning-to-weigh-in-on-Mannings-contract-status-at-Wake-Forest--125563578/

WF and Manning could always negotiate a cheaper buy-out, but that would depend on Manning's and his agent's largess, which is not the negotiating position that WF wants to start from.

Last edited:
Every little can be stated with certainty these days, but Jeff Goodman, who is generally reliable, has reported that Manning's contract is guaranteed through 2024-25, with no buyout:

https://247sports.com/college/wake-forest/Article/National-media-beginning-to-weigh-in-on-Mannings-contract-status-at-Wake-Forest--125563578/

WF and Manning could always negotiate a cheaper buy-out, but that would depend on Manning's and his agent's largess, which is not the negotiating position that WF wants to start from.

I know we've been over this a number of times, but there is simply no way that is true.

Manning is going to get fired at the end of this season. It is an inevitability at this point. Because of his extension, I am sure there will be financial hurdles, but not "$18mil guaranteed" financial hurdles.

Assuming that someone else besides Wellman would have had to sign off on that contract as well, it is crazy to think that WF willingly made Danny Manning a top 10 coach in average yearly salary when his coaching results have likely not even been top 100 and there was no (publicly known) demand for him to go elsewhere. That contract would likely be one of the worst coaching contracts ever. I lean towards it being so absurd that it is not true but numerous ridiculous things have happened with WF Athletics that I would have never believed beforehand.

Every little can be stated with certainty these days, but Jeff Goodman, who is generally reliable, has reported that Manning's contract is guaranteed through 2024-25, with no buyout:

With the new money from the ESPN/ACC deal, we are in better shape to eat most of it. But Hatch should lose his job for OKing such a contract.

I heard the issue with Alford was $$$ related as what we were offering at the time was not in the ballpark for him to leave UNM.

The major issue with Alford was him thinking his dream job (IU) was going to be open the next year due to how poorly Crean was doing.

Alford could never match Ben Howland's great success either!

Back