• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Billboard Anyone?

This has been argued on here before. I think, in general, you are correct that Manning is almost completely a result of Wellman. However, there are many reasons that college coaches choose specific jobs, including salary, conference affiliation, location, history, fan support, etc. A fan base that doesn't fill the stands yet puts up billboards calling for the coach to be fired every 5 years just isn't a very appealing fan base. That's reality. From the fans perspective, of course it is done because we want a winning program. But from the perspective of a prospective coach, it can look a lot different. Especially if other suitors are pointing this out to him (which, of course, they will do).

Last time we had this conversation I looked for examples of billboards calling for the firing of college basketball coaches and couldn't find any good examples. If you can find one, I would be interested to read about it. If you can find the same fan base doing it twice, I would really be surprised.

Makes sense.

This has been argued on here before. I think, in general, you are correct that Manning is almost completely a result of Wellman. However, there are many reasons that college coaches choose specific jobs, including salary, conference affiliation, location, history, fan support, etc. A fan base that doesn't fill the stands yet puts up billboards calling for the coach to be fired every 5 years just isn't a very appealing fan base. That's reality. From the fans perspective, of course it is done because we want a winning program. But from the perspective of a prospective coach, it can look a lot different. Especially if other suitors are pointing this out to him (which, of course, they will do).

Last time we had this conversation I looked for examples of billboards calling for the firing of college basketball coaches and couldn't find any good examples. If you can find one, I would be interested to read about it. If you can find the same fan base doing it twice, I would really be surprised.

The real problem is Wellman is a dunce. If the fanbase had any confidence that he would do the right thing, there would be no need of billboards. Wellman held on to BZ for years past his sell by date. He did the same thing with Manning. Manning's sell by date was at the end of last year after 3 seasons of at least 19 losses.

When the AD does not have the intelligence or wisdom to do the right thing, other measures have to be taken. Fortunately for Wellman, he has outlasted the passion. There will be no billboards this time. No one cares enough.

I think a real version of #WalkAway would be a good idea. The long posts here are a good start.

The real problem is Wellman is a dunce. If the fanbase had any confidence that he would do the right thing, there would be no need of billboards. Wellman held on to BZ for years past his sell by date. He did the same thing with Manning. Manning's sell by date was at the end of last year after 3 seasons of at least 19 losses.

When the AD does not have the intelligence or wisdom to do the right thing, other measures have to be taken. Fortunately for Wellman, he has outlasted the passion. There will be no billboards this time. No one cares enough.

I agree with most of this, except for the last sentence. Wake has very passionate fans. They care and want a good program, and they are willing to take actions to help that occur.

Any efforts need to be targeted at ronnie and hatch via the bot. Flood in boxes of bot members with letters like the one above And making it clear there will be no more money for wake (will, ad, band, anything) until significant changes are made.

Nothing happened until the wake will campaign was affected.

We are a cuddly kitten of a fan base compared to what coaches would have to put up with at many other places.

We are a cuddly kitten of a fan base compared to what coaches would have to put up with at many other places.

Others have implied this. Can you find an example of another college basketball fan base that created a billboard calling for the coach and AD to be fired? There may be some out there, but I have not found any.

Definitely not an AD employee

Others have implied this. Can you find an example of another college basketball fan base that created a billboard calling for the coach and AD to be fired? There may be some out there, but I have not found any.

UCLA, for one. Google, my man.

Can you find another example of where a program was a consistent national top 25 program and was ranked #1 at one point in the season and was immediately turned into a pile of steaming garbage while the AD kept saying that he was pleased as punch?

If you can, then you will have a real comparison.

Don’t need a billboard. Just have an attendance of zero at games. That would do it

A billboard is pretty mild all things considered.

Definitely not an AD employee

Strickland, are you are strong believer in conspiracy theories?

I agreed with the post stating Ron Wellman is to blame for our current situation. I have nothing to do with the AD and never have. I just think a social media campaign is a more effective approach than a billboard, for the reasons I explained.

I have called out Wellman, Manning, and Bz on many occasions. They have really screwed up our basketball program. Yes, I have defended the athletic department and Wellman in regards to football, soccer, tennis, etc. Do you disagree with defending the success of those programs? A little nuance in thought is important.

What I wouldn’t give for our basketball program to be mediocre.

imagine the effect (at least nationally) if on 1/8 ESPN is broadcasting from an empty, outside of duke fans, joel coliseum? if anything it would embarrass wellman in front of his peers. but no way you could rally everyone to stay home.

Back