• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Billboard Anyone?

imagine the effect (at least nationally) if on 1/8 ESPN is broadcasting from an empty, outside of duke fans, joel coliseum? if anything it would embarrass wellman in front of his peers. but no way you could rally everyone to stay home.

I think it’s clear by now that Wellman can’t be embarrassed by our basketball program.

This has been argued on here before. I think, in general, you are correct that Manning is almost completely a result of Wellman. However, there are many reasons that college coaches choose specific jobs, including salary, conference affiliation, location, history, fan support, etc. A fan base that doesn't fill the stands yet puts up billboards calling for the coach to be fired every 5 years just isn't a very appealing fan base. That's reality. From the fans perspective, of course it is done because we want a winning program. But from the perspective of a prospective coach, it can look a lot different. Especially if other suitors are pointing this out to him (which, of course, they will do).

Last time we had this conversation I looked for examples of billboards calling for the firing of college basketball coaches and couldn't find any good examples. If you can find one, I would be interested to read about it. If you can find the same fan base doing it twice, I would really be surprised.

I pretty much agree, but I don't blame people who reject this reasoning. As others have said, we have an AD that intentionally tunes out the fans, cuts off access to the coach's show, gives mealy-mouthed answers to questions about the state of the program that insult the intelligence of Wake alums, etc., etc. All while being paid millions upon millions of dollars to put Wake in the best possible position to succeed. Or not, apparently.

Tommy Elrod still lives and works in Winston-Salem...that's all the evidence you need that Wake fans are tame as hell.

Tommy Elrod still lives and works in Winston-Salem...that's all the evidence you need that Wake fans are tame as hell.

This. In Tuscaloosa or Athens his life would have become a living hell.

Wellman has gotten the backing of Hatch and fuck you money from TV, the ACC and a couple of high rollers. He does not appear to be intelligent enough to recognize the responsibility that entails.

This. In Tuscaloosa or Athens his life would have become a living hell.

Yes, I agree that there is a difference in Alabama football and Wake football fans. Pretty sure everyone agrees on that point. I would also argue that Wake basketball fans are more passionate than Alabama basketball fans.

Yes, I agree that there is a difference in Alabama football and Wake football fans. Pretty sure everyone agrees on that point. I would also argue that Wake basketball fans are more passionate than Alabama basketball fans.

Bball isn’t Alabama’s flagship program. You have to compare apples to apples.

A billboard is pretty mild all things considered.

This is my point. Coaches are not afraid of the Wake Forest fan base such that they’re avoiding coming here. Wellman would be the reason they don’t want to be here (until they think they can get $18 million and job security for life).

I actually saw him get interviewed by WXII during the fall. I think he has something to do with WS Nationals LL.

I think some posters have mentioned seeing him at Little League games.

This is my point. Coaches are not afraid of the Wake Forest fan base such that they’re avoiding coming here. Wellman would be the reason they don’t want to be here (until they think they can get $18 million and job security for life).

Not so sure that any coach would relish the possibility of having his wife and children exposed to the kind of public embarrassment brought by a billboard demanding that he be fired. Probably not a good precedent. Maybe it is best that it only happen 1x

Bball isn’t Alabama’s flagship program. You have to compare apples to apples.

You do realize Tommy Elrod worked for Wake football, not basketball, right? That was the comparison I was directly addressing, which was brought up in the previous post.

Not so sure that any coach would relish the possibility of having his wife and children exposed to the kind of public embarrassment brought by a billboard demanding that he be fired. Probably not a good precedent. Maybe it is best that it only happen 1x

Again, a billboard is pretty mild.

Again, Tom Elrod still lives in Winston.

Millions of easily earned dollars makes up for a lot of embarrassment.

Again, a billboard is pretty mild.

I disagree. It’s obviously exceedingly rare. In addition, if someone purchased a billboard questioning your ability to do your job you would, rightfully so, not think it’s “pretty mild.”

I searched a few months back and couldn't find any examples. I just searched again, and still can't find any other examples, except for UCLA (which is, obviously, a very good example). I am genuinely interested in other examples, and how they worked out, if there are some out there.

The billboard happened for two reasons: 1. Wake basketball was godawful; and 2. The AD was absurdly trying to gaslight everyone by saying things were going great when they were obviously godawful.

How many other schools with recent tradition worth a crap would have both of those factors?

Back