• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Billboard Anyone?

The guy we rented the billboards from was a wake alum/fan.

I think it might be a bad idea to do another billboard. In hindsight, it might have hurt is in landing a good coach after [Redacted] was fired.

Crime stoppers. Cash reward for the successful prosecution of member of the coaching staff?

We shall count stealing a win or two

Although I am a non-alum Wake fan I would drive down to Winston from Ohio for a sort of "homecoming". How many alums and non-alums would show up at the same time on campus and demand change? Surely....more Deacon fans would show up to that than are currently coming to home games. Alert the local news and national sports outlets about the event. I don't know...I'm just thinking out loud which is usually not a good thing. I kinda think a billboard will just get us another shitty coach. A "personal" visit from as many angry Wake fans as possible demanding answers and that a change be made might help. I'm in this with all of you...we all want a new coach in the worst kind of way.

Although I am a non-alum Wake fan I would drive down to Winston from Ohio for a sort of "homecoming". How many alums and non-alums would show up at the same time on campus and demand change? Surely....more Deacon fans would show up to that than are currently coming to home games. Alert the local news and national sports outlets about the event. I don't know...I'm just thinking out loud which is usually not a good thing. I kinda think a billboard will just get us another shitty coach. A "personal" visit from as many angry Wake fans as possible demanding answers and that a change be made might help. I'm in this with all of you...we all want a new coach in the worst kind of way.

If 1000 or so fans of all ages showed up for a demonstration on the quad, it would be hard for Wellman and his enablers (Hatch, BOT) to ignore.

Yes, please. Direct it at Wellman exclusively.

Keep up the pressure. Worked at UNCC with Judy Rose.

How about newspaper ads ..........quicker and easier?

No one cares anymore.

That is the truth. In the BZ years people were angry. Now, it's just despondency.

Too late. Just gotta wait til Wellman and Hatch die and see if the program can be revived then.

That is the truth. In the BZ years people were angry. Now, it's just despondency.

Too late. Just gotta wait til Wellman and Hatch die and see if the program can be revived then.

If Wake basketball was disbanded and nobody was around to witness it, did it ever exsist?

Yup. Either that or start a social media campaign. Lots of eyes on that for sure.

I think the social media campaign is the way to go. It is faster, free, and it makes it more difficult to label the fan base as "problematic." The previous approach (billboards, newspaper) ultimately ended with Wake in this situation. We don't want that to happen again.

I think the social media campaign is the way to go. It is faster, free, and it makes it more difficult to label the fan base as "problematic." The previous approach (billboards, newspaper) ultimately ended with Wake in this situation. We don't want that to happen again.

You can't blame Manning on the billboards. That is just beyond stupid. We don't need a coach that would be cowed by a fan base that demands winning.

Manning is a result of Wellman and maybe Hatch. No one else.

You can't blame Manning on the billboards. That is just beyond stupid. We don't need a coach that would be cowed by a fan base that demands winning.

True. Was trying to think of other schools/programs that are similar to Wake that have had some basketball success or tradtion in the past but that are now sucking like we are. And how are they dealing with it?

True. Was trying to think of other schools/programs that are similar to Wake that have had some basketball success or tradtion in the past but that are now sucking like we are. And how are they dealing with it?

I can't recall any school going from a number 1 ranked team to complete unadulterated garbage so quickly. Usually there is a decline but Wake basketball just dropped off a cliff.

Maybe NC State after Valvano? There just are not many programs in Wake's situation because AD's typically fix their own mistake or get fired. Not at Wake.

This has been argued on here before. I think, in general, you are correct that Manning is almost completely a result of Wellman. However, there are many reasons that college coaches choose specific jobs, including salary, conference affiliation, location, history, fan support, etc. A fan base that doesn't fill the stands yet puts up billboards calling for the coach to be fired every 5 years just isn't a very appealing fan base. That's reality. From the fans perspective, of course it is done because we want a winning program. But from the perspective of a prospective coach, it can look a lot different. Especially if other suitors are pointing this out to him (which, of course, they will do).

Last time we had this conversation I looked for examples of billboards calling for the firing of college basketball coaches and couldn't find any good examples. If you can find one, I would be interested to read about it. If you can find the same fan base doing it twice, I would really be surprised.

Back